Newbie not wanting to sound daft but need a little help

Options
Hi I'm am calorie counting and trying to do it to the T but I don't know how to count my salads e.g. Few toms spring oinions celery etc probs a daft question but if any1 can b of help would be much appreciated:)

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It really depends how much you're putting in of each. The best advice is to measure/weight everything. Invest in a food scale if you haven't yet. Then you can add each item separately for the correct amount, for the most accurate count.
  • tinagrant2739
    tinagrant2739 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you the scales did cross my mind i shall invest in some :)
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It's great! I've been here for years.

Honestly I have never gotten food scales but people do swear by them. I log salads by counting or approximating how much. However I ALWAYS MEASURE THE DRESSING. I am pretty neurotic about counting and measuring things that are high in fat and calories, not so much for the lettuce and celery. And for the record, the 2 tablespoon "serving" of dressing is really very little, and in general a lot of calories.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes digital
    Food scales are a must. Good
    Luck
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A food scale is your best weight loss tool. Weigh and log everything. Welcome to MFP.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thank you the scales did cross my mind i shall invest in some :)

Also, when you look up produce in the MFP database, the best entries to use are the ones that say USDA. For example, you want to enter a tomato. Search for "USDA tomato, raw" and use the 1 gram entry. If your tomato weighs 55 grams on your scale, you would put in a quantity of 55 of 1 gram.