Ladies: Copper IUD opinions

Options
lauractemple85
lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
edited March 2017 in Chit-Chat
Hi all, I would like to know some honest opinions about the copper IUD from women who have gotten one. I would to like to try a hormone free option since I think the pill has been steadily affecting my weight (every time I go on the "sugar pill" for 7 days, I drop weight).

A few facts about me:
- 31 years old
- Been on the pill for over 10 years
- Never had a baby or been pregnant

Tell me everything. The good and the bad.

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My best friend is on her 2nd one and loves it. She's had no issues other than the discomfort when they inserted it. My advice from her experience is to not let the med resident do it. :D

She's 31 also, 1 child. She only gets 2 periods a year since she's had it. Not sure if that's normal with the IUD but she doesn't complain. lol

My sister has had it but had to come off and go back to the pill. She needs hormones to help with her PMDD. No complaints about the IUD though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It can make already heavy periods much heavier, but other than that, everyone I know who's had it loves it.

I had Mirena, which has hormones, but the insertion and all that is similar. It was great! You don't have to think about it except when getting it checked.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had both the hormone (Mirena) & hormone free (paragard) and I hated the Mirena I gained so much weight on my already overweight 5ft framt I gained like 50lbs the Paragard was awesome from what I remember but it fell out so I switched to the pill
  • DrivenL8dy
    DrivenL8dy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had both types of IUDs and I had complications with both. The reason I had the copper IUD removed was because of recurrent infections and discomfort from the strings.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I also had Mirena after being on the Pill for a long time. (No kids. No plan for kids.) I must have been one of the *lucky* ones, but placement was terribly painful (not having kids makes things a little smaller to maneuver). Once in, I had absolutely horrible cramping, like bend in two or have to take a knee breathing through it bad. And it wasn't just once a month, it was throughout the month. All months. Now, I loved not having a period. That was awesome. I was a bit of a sucker for punishment, but after a year and a half I finally had to have it removed. The cramping was just unbearable. My doc never was able to pin-point why. Went back on the pill and been on it since. I should note that about 8 years ago I had a tubal. The pill/Mirena was used just for my monthly symptoms, not birth control. Additionally, I do have a few smaller fibroids. No idea if that impacted anything. Removal was actually a breeze. Don't want to scare you off. I've had a lot of friends enjoy great success with IUDs. I just was one of the hopefully few that couldn't tolerate it.
  • DestinyCal
    DestinyCal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a good article discussing different IUD options: https://www.bedsider.org/features/70-paragard-vs-mirena-which-iud-is-best-for-you

One thing to note is that even hormonal IUDs have much lower levels of hormones than the pill, and they don't contain estrogen. If you have concerns about heavy periods, etc. they might still be a good fit for you.

I wanted the hormones, so I recently got a Mirena after having kids. Personally, I like not having to remember to take the pill. I've experienced a little bit of cramping, but I don't know how much of that is the IUD and how much is still recovery from my pregnancy. Overall, no major complaints.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I had the IUD in place for about 2 years. Unfortunately it came out of place caused a bunch of pain cause it got lodged into my cervix had to get it removed now pack on the pills
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena--on my second one at 47 years of age (not yet showing signs of menopause). I was on oral contraceptives for ~10 years prior to my son being born (he is now 16) and another 10 years after I ceased breastfeeding and just was really weary of that amount of hormones, plus I got to the point where life was too busy and I kept forgetting to take my pill.

The amount of hormone in Mirena is significantly less than pills, and much more localized. Other than spotting and some cramping in the first month after insertion (both times), I have had no periods during the time that I've had the Mirena. And the best part is that I haven't gotten pregnant either :smile:
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've never had an IUD. I need to change birth control and my doctor presented me with the options of an IUD or Nexplanon (arm implant), based on what I wanted. I chose the arm implant. I have one relatively close friend and one acquaintance that have had a similar, terrible experience with the IUD. Something along the lines of the IUD migrating where it shouldn't and the cervix growing over it (I don't know the medical/technical terms, but you get the idea), leading to infection/possible infection and very unpleasant surgical removal. That was enough to scare me off. So, I opted for the Nexplanon - it is hormone BC but it's a much lower does than the depo shot, which I was on before, and there's no worry of it getting lodged and absorbed into an internal organ...as always, I'd trust what your doctor (or doctors, multiple opinions never hurt) over what anyone on the internet says. Good luck!
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the copper IUD in!! I've tried several forms of birth control and have 2 kids of my own. I decided to do the copper IUD because it was non-hormonal.

to be really honest, it hurt soooooo bad when they inserted it. i would recommend taking a pain reliever before going in, if you decide to do it (i didn't take the pain reliever because i underestimated the pain). I've had it inserted for about 5 months now. They will tell you that the first few months you will have a heavy period. And I did have a heavy period but only for the first 2 months and my period only lasted about 5 days each month. Now, my menstrual cycles are 100% normal. I absolutely love the IUD, it's such a peace of mind and I love not having hormones affect other things in my life.

I have heard of others having discomfort with the strings, but I have not had any discomfort or complications with that. If you decide to get it, I would recommend you asking your doc to measure the strings twice so they're not too long which is what causes the complications. I did mention that to my doc and saw him pay extra attention to that. Wish you luck!
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had a copper iud for 10 years, the only reason I did not get it replaced with another copper one was because my periods kept getting heavier and the last 2 years of having it I would sometimes get 2 periods a month and became very anemic, and annoyed! The doctor said that is common in the latter years of iud placement. I replaced it with a Mirena. I no longer have periods, which is nice, I do have spotting some months. Know this, Mirena's hormones effect your whole body, not just your uterus. I turned into a hormonal beast after getting my Mirena. Because of this, I will probably not have it replaced when my time is up, but will miss the no period thing. I will either get another copper iud or have my tubes tied, because my husband refuses to have the surgery.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had a copper iud for 10 years, the only reason I did not get it replaced with another copper one was because my periods kept getting heavier and the last 2 years of having it I would sometimes get 2 periods a month and became very anemic, and annoyed! The doctor said that is common in the latter years of iud placement. I replaced it with a Mirena. I no longer have periods, which is nice, I do have spotting some months. Know this, Mirena's hormones effect your whole body, not just your uterus. I turned into a hormonal beast after getting my Mirena. Because of this, I will probably not have it replaced when my time is up, but will miss the no period thing. I will either get another copper iud or have my tubes tied, because my husband refuses to have the surgery.

my husband just had it done last month and he is telling everyone how much of a breeze it is my husband also refused for years but because of my health reasons he took the plunge and is literally telling every guy we meet to get this done to prevent children as he points to our angels haha
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is germane to the conversation or not, but a lot of houses are broken into and stripped of all of their copper plumbing and wiring.

...... It seems that copper is rather valuable.

Be careful out there!
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I've had the Mirena for almost 2 years. No periods since the first one after insertion. I love it!

are airport metal detectors an issue?
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    im small no kids and have copper. I don't mind it but probably wont get it again tbh. my periods have gotten really bad I might have been developing a problem prior to insertion but they gave up trying to figure it out once I got it put in my cramps get to the point where I cant walk. I have had it almost a year and that's just starting to happen less. If I was American with the unstable system and restrictions on reproductive rights id 100% stick with the copper iud but because I have good healthcare when my 5 years is over I will go back to nuvaring
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I've had the Mirena for almost 2 years. No periods since the first one after insertion. I love it!

mirena isn't copper its hormonal, but even with copper its not an issue.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

mirena isn't copper its hormonal, but even with copper its not an issue.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than sterling silver.

Tiffany & Co. need to fill this niche.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I didn't like Mirena, cramps and I was always paranoid it would float around in my body or puncture through something. Don't get the arm implant, worst mistake of my life. I'm interested in the copper bc I'm sick of hormones. Other than that I most liked Depo shot but only stopped that bc I was afraid of bone loss. I have no kids btw.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena. It was very uncomfortable. I could feel the strings when I worked out. It was like constant pin pricks when I exercised. My husband said he could feel them, too. I had it removed after less than a year.

My daughter had it, too. She cramped horribly and bled for a solid 6 months. She had it removed and was better within a week.

I believe our issues were with the devices and would have had the same issues if copper or plastic.

They do make for interesting x ray conversation.