How many pounds do you have to loose to go down a size

Options
I admit. I'm loosing weight for pure vanity. I want to look better in clothing and not be embarrassed in a swimsuit. So how many pounds equal a size on a 5'6" woman. My goal loss is 15, maybe 20 and I've lost about 2.4 so far.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    catmomfat wrote: »
    I admit. I'm loosing weight for pure vanity. I want to look better in clothing and not be embarrassed in a swimsuit. So how many pounds equal a size on a 5'6" woman. My goal loss is 15, maybe 20 and I've lost about 2.4 so far.

What is your weight?
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    152.0 on Monday.
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've always been very happy between 135 and 140 at 5'6", but I probably "really " need to loose 20.
  • purplekitty1987
    purplekitty1987 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and it's about 10 pounds for me to lose a size at about your weight
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. I went from 173 to 151 and haven't dropped a size yet. When I get into the 140's, I swear every 4 or 5 lbs is a size, it's weird.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and it's usually 10 lbs to see a size difference for me, especially pants.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"3 and was a 3X when I started, 37 lbs ago. This week, I bought three items: a sweater (1X) a light jacket (20), and a skirt (20W). Now, I'm not positive about the difference between a 3X and a 20W, even sizing charts are general guesstimates: http://www.sizecharter.com/clothing-fit-and-measurement/plus-size-clothing-sizing-works, but it looks like in 37 lbs, I've gone down about 2 sizes, even accounting for the difference in styles/manufacturers.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    28lbs was 2 sizes for me, but it could be 3 depends on the store but a comfortable 2
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I gained 20lb before going up from an 8 to a 10. Now I have lost 20lb and my 8s are still tight.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and it's about 10 pounds for me to lose a size at about your weight

Same here, in pants anyway.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    How many pounds do you have to loose to go down a size

Well, you have to understand that the answer to that question will have a range of answers, due to the fact that everyone stores fat differently on their own bodies.

I am 5'7", and at 139 - 143 or so, I wear a 6/8 (depending on brands of course but that is what most things fit me at). At 155, 12's fit me best. Once I get back down to 150, I will be in a 10. I can see a size change in as little as 5-6 pounds, on my body, But that's just how my body stores fat. Others will vary.
  • sahalbur
    sahalbur Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and wear size 12 jeans comfortably and a 10 tight. Currently I am at 192, and when I was at 160 I wore a size 6 comfortably... when I lost weight the first time... no lifting, just strictly diet.

I do a lot of heavy lifting now, when I started at 207 lbs and down to my current weigh of 192, I can start wearing a size 10 somewhat comfortably. Before when I lost the weight fast, I would drop 8-10 pounds and fit into a new size. Now, being 15 pounds down, I have only just now started fitting into a smaller size comfortably.

Of course I have been blessed with large thighs that are super stubborn, so that makes it harder for me to really judge how much weight I need to lose per size, since the majority of my inches down as a result of weight loss have mainly come from my torso, verses legs.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    There's not an easy answer to this because you're dealing with a lot of unpredictable variables (where do you store fat, how does a brand do sizing, etc). HOWEVER, I have read a rule of thumb that seems in the ballpark of right for me: 10 lbs per size up to size 14, then it's 20 lbs between sizes.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sizing, cut of clothes, materials and type of waist matter too. I've lost about 24 pounds but some of my old clothes still fit. Looser of course but hardly hanging from me.

I have dieted before and learned from experience to invest in transition clothing. Knits and things with elastic can shrink with you... currently I find tunics with leggings and elastic waisted pants that aren't mom pants are very good friends.

Men don't have as many clothing choices...Sorry guys.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Well I am 5 foot 7 and almost 20 pounds before I dropped a size
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    catmomfat wrote: »

Depends on how you lose. I lose all over so I need about 20 lb to go down a size.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    sahalbur wrote: »
    I'm 5'9 and wear size 12 jeans comfortably and a 10 tight. Currently I am at 192, and when I was at 160 I wore a size 6 comfortably... when I lost weight the first time... no lifting, just strictly diet.

I do a lot of heavy lifting now, when I started at 207 lbs and down to my current weigh of 192, I can start wearing a size 10 somewhat comfortably. Before when I lost the weight fast, I would drop 8-10 pounds and fit into a new size. Now, being 15 pounds down, I have only just now started fitting into a smaller size comfortably.

Of course I have been blessed with large thighs that are super stubborn, so that makes it harder for me to really judge how much weight I need to lose per size, since the majority of my inches down as a result of weight loss have mainly come from my torso, verses legs.

Sizes must be very different where you are. I'm 5'10" and 190lbs and I wear a size 16. I reckon I'd have to be about 150lb to fit a size 10-12
  • Wan718
    Wan718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i am 5'3, about 140lb now. For me every 15 lb is a dress size. For pants I am forever S.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    sahalbur wrote: »

Sizes must be very different where you are. I'm 5'10" and 190lbs and I wear a size 16. I reckon I'd have to be about 150lb to fit a size 10-12

I am 5'7", and am about a 10, at 150 lbs. I would think that at 150, you would be about a 6 or 8.