10k race!

Options
Besides losing weight lookin geat, feeling great, on this journey I decided I was going to train and be ready to run the Peace race. It's a 10K here in my area that happens the last weekend of October. I am still having a hard time running consistently for long times on the ground. I can run great on a treadmill for 30 mins nonstop usually at a pace of 6.7 miles an hour. I am very happy with that, but I still always need walk breaks when I am on the ground outside. I don't know what I am doing differently or why it is so hard for me to get control of my pace outside. Any ideas on what I can do would be great. Also, I guess if come race day I still need a walk break here and there is it really that big of a deal? At least I am doing something right? I just feel like people will laugh if I walk some of it! Any thoughts?

Replies

• SpartanTrainer
    Options
    do 1/2 the spd you do on the treadmill and go for long distances. Go at about talking "conversation" pace. Part of the walking is just getting use to the environment especially with this heat. By Sep you will be going long and fast.
  • ryliesmommy
    ryliesmommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Completing any race is just about doing it- and getting to the finish line!! Run, walk, crawl just get there. In every 5k I've done there have always been walkers. Haven't made it to 10k yet, but I imagine it would be the same. Try the Hal Higdon 10k training program (google Hal Higdon10k to find it).... he has a great training schedule. Or try the couch to 10k program which is geared towards beginners. Running outside is much harder than on a treadmill, and the two things really aren't comparable. Treadmill is mainly a cardio workout, becuase you don't have to exert the same amount of energy that you do to propel yourself forward like outside. You can do it! :)
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Besides losing weight lookin geat, feeling great, on this journey I decided I was going to train and be ready to run the Peace race. It's a 10K here in my area that happens the last weekend of October. I am still having a hard time running consistently for long times on the ground. I can run great on a treadmill for 30 mins nonstop usually at a pace of 6.7 miles an hour. I am very happy with that, but I still always need walk breaks when I am on the ground outside. I don't know what I am doing differently or why it is so hard for me to get control of my pace outside. Any ideas on what I can do would be great. Also, I guess if come race day I still need a walk break here and there is it really that big of a deal? At least I am doing something right? I just feel like people will laugh if I walk some of it! Any thoughts?

That's because biomechanically there is a difference between treadmill running and ground running. Not to mention the ground is less cushioned. If you want to improve your ground running spend 2-3 of your workouts on the ground to get your body accustomed to it.

Also walking breaks throughout a run is not a problem. People won't laugh at you as they will be too busy worrying about their own pace/pain. If your goal is to finish the race than finish it any way possible :)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Slow down and take it easy.

I started outside and cannot go as fast on the treadmill when I need do runs inside.

It is a different way of running and so you need to get used to it.

6.7mph is way fast on the treadmill. I barely can do 5.8 on a good day.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Are you running with others? When You are in a marathon, the other runnings help motivate & pull you though. I'm a tready too, but am ok when other runners are there... (good luck!)
  • adedonder
    adedonder Posts: 7
    Options
    Do no be concerned about people laughing! I have run in LOTS of races and LOTS of people walk part of it. In fact, some walk all of it. No one will be laughing. That said, you could try to work in some planned walk breaks and shrink those as your endurance grows. What I mean by this is, plan to run for 8 minutes, then walk for 2. Repeat 4-6 times. Do that for a week, then step it up to running 9 minutes, walking 1. Or, you could even alternate - run 8, walk 2, run 9, walk 1, run 8, walk 2, etc. The outdoors run is a little more difficult than being on a treadmill because of the variance of grade. If you put the treadmill on a 1% incline, it will more closely match the feeling of outdoor terrain.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my first 10K in Oct, too. I haven't been running as much as I would like due to my current work out (Insanity) and the heat. But I only have a week and a half left for Insanity and then I'm going to focus on the running. No one will laugh at you... I can guarantee I'll be taking some walk breaks along the way, but just the fact that I'm doing it and that I WILL finish will be enough to keep me motivated. :) Good luck to you!! :)
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Try podrunner intervals (free itunes download) or go directly to the website http://www.djsteveboy.com/mixes.html to download. There is a walk/run training program that increases your distance. I would suggest starting with the "gateway to 8K" (after that there is an gateway to 10K program). I LOVE it, the music is paced to helps you maintian speed. Now speaking of speed, you may want to slow your pace Currently I run on the treadmil (too hot in NC for outdoors) between 5.5- 6.2 depending upon how I feel. Also a tip a trainer gave me when having to run on a treadmil....put the incline to 1.0-1.5. The increased incline mimics running on the road without the momemtum of the treadmil.
    I have run outdoors on the few nice days we've had and the increased incline made my transition to the road MUCH easier. Good luck
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    In my 7 months of running I've learned that the running community is the nicest group of people. I seriously doubt any of them will laugh at you. If you slow down and take a walk break, you'll probably just hear "Good job - keep up the good work!". I'm SUPER slow but I've done 4 5K's and have never had anyone laugh at me or discourage me from running, even though my "run" is a brisk walk for some.

As far as treadmill vs road - 2 totally different animals. If you really want to be prepared for the 10K, start running outside a lot more. I have a 10K training plan if you'd like to see a copy! Just send me a message with your email address if you want it. (it's an excel file, so it won't just copy and paste)

Don't get discouraged about walking - Jeff Galloway, Olympic gold medalist and professional running coach is a huge advocate of taking walk breaks. Check out www.jeffgalloway.com for more information about his run-walk-run method.