Gaining weight instead of losing!

Options
I don't have access no a nutritionist who takes my insurance in my town, so I don't know who to talk to, but I am not seeming to have success in my diet at all. I started at 254lbs two weeks ago with a goal to lose 100lbs. MFP put me at 1300 calories a day to meet my goal and I'm also doing the Daily Burn True Beginner program along with it. I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but I've gained 6 lbs in the last two weeks, bringing me up to a grand total of 260! I'm definitely gaining mobility and stability from the Daily Burn, but I'm not getting any smaller and definitely not losing weight at all! I thought that if I really stuck to my diet and exercise I would lose at least some weight. What should I do?

Replies

• deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day and how are you measuring it? Are you weighing it or using cups/spoons etc?

Also two weeks is a very short time.
  • ladysairi
    ladysairi Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm using cups/spoons, but I've got my eye out for a food scale. I know two week isn't that long, but gaining even more weight was not the change I was hoping for, so I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Cups and spoons are not accurate and can be out by 300 calories a day. Buy the scale today. They are very cheap.

Is it around your ovulation time or time of the month?
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    6lbs is extensive, are you eating your exercise calories? i wouldn't definitely go and get a food scale and try 1 full week weighing everything by grams or ounzes, see what happens, i dont think its the exercise although you are likely to hold water from any new or extended exercise you do. muscle doesnt weigh more than fat, it weighs the same it just takes up less space in the body, what your probably experiencing is water weight from new exercise mixed with logging inaccuracies.
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, have you measured yourself?
  • ladysairi
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea cups and spoons were that off. I'm not eating my exercise calories, most of the time I'm supposedly coming in with around 300-400 excess calories per day. I haven't measure myself and it's not near my time of the month.
    Edit: I just went on Amazon and bought a food scale. I knew it was better than measuring cups/spoons, but I had no idea how much better it really was.
    Edit 2: Thanks for the insight and the quick responses guys, I've never posted before and I really appreciate the support and lack of judgement.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You definitely need the food scale. But I would remark that it is possible to gain 6lb of water weight as a result of strenuous exercise you are not used to - I have gained that much, and I was not as heavy as you, so you could even gain more. Water weight is temporary. Don't lose hope - tighten up your logging and give it more time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Agree with other posters, weigh your food, the difference in weight to estimate is usally pretty large and 2 weeks is not long enough to see if your current plan is working - give it another 2 - 4 weeks to settle and then review.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself using the exact same scale in the exact same conditions from week to week? As an example, you should have your scale on a hard surface (tile or hardwood, not carpet), and weigh yourself naked, first thing in the morning after voiding--this removes the variables of the weight of the clothing and physiologic changes that happen over the course of the day. (Of course, skip the naked part if your scale is in a public venue.)
  • riu1124
    riu1124 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1300 calories? It seems really low for your weight im around 2600ish and weight around 240
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Everything above is very relevant! With these minor adjustments and some determination, you should start seeing results in a few weeks. Stick with it :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you start a new exercise program or change intensity, it can lead to water weight gain. It isn't fat. provided your cals consumed are close to accurate
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Cups are fine.. even inaccurate you are UNDER your maintenance by a LOT. You are probably hovering around more like a 1 to 1.5 loss so ignore the "experts" here. A food scale will be necessary when you lose to below 200. (Not really cause I lost from 275 to 155 using nothing but measuring cups and spoons at 22)..

I'm 300 now (less (297) but I hate uneven numbers).. when I started walking and watching what I eat on Jan 3rd I was 301. I GAINED to 306! The majority here blamed it on not having a food scale, but these people are probably like losing 20 lbs or less. Not in the 100lbs or more category like we are. So you know personally what you were like before all these changes, and I'm sure you feel you are much more careful and active now.

When you first start a weight loss regime you can actually gain weight from inflammation and water retention. Water rushes to your torn muscles in an attempt to heal them. On top of that, your body is trying to adjust to the sudden change in your lifestyle. It's programmed for the old you and doesn't recognize you at the moment.

It can take 4-6 weeks to see a loss when just starting a new program. It took me 5 weeks to lose. I then started my period and all that water weight shot me right back up, but 2 days after it was over, I suddenly lost all of it plus a little extra.

Keep up with what you are doing. Don't give up when you are close to seeing results!
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    riu1124 wrote: »
    1300 calories? It seems really low for your weight im around 2600ish and weight around 240

You mean 1600? Also, she may be really short. My "maintenance" is SUPPOSEDLY 2400. I think it's lower. For 1.5 lbs a week loss it says I should consume 1730 and for 2lbs more like 1300.

• ladysairi
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Are you weighing yourself using the exact same scale in the exact same conditions from week to week? As an example, you should have your scale on a hard surface (tile or hardwood, not carpet), and weigh yourself naked, first thing in the morning after voiding--this removes the variables of the weight of the clothing and physiologic changes that happen over the course of the day. (Of course, skip the naked part if your scale is in a public venue.)

Yes I am weighing in the same conditions.
  • ladysairi
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    riu1124 wrote: »

You mean 1600? Also, she may be really short. My "maintenance" is SUPPOSEDLY 2400. I think it's lower. For 1.5 lbs a week loss it says I should consume 1730 and for 2lbs more like 1300.

I am really short actually, I'm 5'2. I'm set for 1300 for 2lbs per week
  • ladysairi
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Cups are fine.. even inaccurate you are UNDER your maintenance by a LOT. You are probably hovering around more like a 1 to 1.5 loss so ignore the "experts" here. A food scale will be necessary when you lose to below 200. (Not really cause I lost from 275 to 155 using nothing but measuring cups and spoons at 22)..

I'm 300 now (less (297) but I hate uneven numbers).. when I started walking and watching what I eat on Jan 3rd I was 301. I GAINED to 306! The majority here blamed it on not having a food scale, but these people are probably like losing 20 lbs or less. Not in the 100lbs or more category like we are. So you know personally what you were like before all these changes, and I'm sure you feel you are much more careful and active now.

When you first start a weight loss regime you can actually gain weight from inflammation and water retention. Water rushes to your torn muscles in an attempt to heal them. On top of that, your body is trying to adjust to the sudden change in your lifestyle. It's programmed for the old you and doesn't recognize you at the moment.

It can take 4-6 weeks to see a loss when just starting a new program. It took me 5 weeks to lose. I then started my period and all that water weight shot me right back up, but 2 days after it was over, I suddenly lost all of it plus a little extra.

Keep up with what you are doing. Don't give up when you are close to seeing results!

Thanks for all your feedback, it helps a lot. I have never been this heavy before so I've never tried to lose this much weight. It's really different. When I was in my teens, I could just cut back a little in my diet, and be just fine, but when I turned 18 I suddenly started gaining weight at a pace that felt out of control even though my habits were the same. After a while I just gave up on trying to eat right and exercise because I felt like it wasn't helping. I'm 21 now and I'm trying to get serious but it's so hard to stay encouraged.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'll also add that bloating (water weight) can add a lot. I'm 130 lbs and can weigh in 2-4 lbs heavier at various times of the month or if I've had a high sodium day. I would get a food scale so you can more accurately log your food and give it another two weeks before making changes.