Doesn't ellipticals help slim the belly?

Options
Hi friends,

I have been semi- actively been working out the last 3 months and compared my measurements today but noticed I haven't slimmed down around the bigger part of my belly at all. Could you please advise on what to do?

I do ellipticals 3-4 times a week and I've went down from a 240 to 220 lbs. My waist has gone slimmer, and everywhere else but just not the belly.

Does ellipticals not focus on the belly? What can I do differently? I cant run on the treadmill cause my knee kills me ha!

Replies

• nicolefreese16
    nicolefreese16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to target fat loss in a specific area. I would try doing an ab circuit before or after the elliptical? :)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Working your abs makes them stronger which helps reduce a distended belly. So working abs can help.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You didn't get to choose where the fat went on, and you don't get to choose where it comes off. You can firm the muscles underneath, which can help, but you can't control where the fat goes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    As the others have mentioned, you can't spot reduce. Your genetics decide where you gain and lose your weight.

Unfortunately for many of us, the belly is the last place where we lose weight.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just getting all-round body fat reduction is the only non-surgical method for what you (and the rest of us) want.

Calorie deficit. If you get this by cardio that's cool, but you don't need it.