At home HIIT workouts vs. treadmill/elliptical

Options
Hey guys!
So I've been trying to improve my endurance and overall fitness health and OF course, lose a little bit of weight. I stumbled upon HIIT but because of my busy schedule, I am only able to do the HIIT workouts from home, for example watching Fitnessblender's YouTube videos. But I know that in order to improve endurance I should be running on the treadmill, the thing is, I feel like HIIT is better as it takes up less time. But does that mean I burn less calories? Which do you prefer?

Replies

• genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use FitnessBlender.

I do weights 2-3 days, 1-2 HIIT days, and 2-3 runs a week.

Depending on how I feel I workout 5-7 days a week.

I like the mix. HIIT is fantastic for my cardiovascular fitness and even liftle body weight resistance. But the only way to run longer is to run longer. Plus my dog loves running with me.
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    HIIT was originally developed for use on treadmill or elliptical. I do HIIT on the treadmill 2 times a week. My routine consists of 3 min of 'easy' running (6mph) followed by 30sec to a min of an all out sprint (7.5+ mph). I repeat this pattern for 25min then 5min cool down. This is an excellent way to lose weight and build endurance and increase your steady-state running speed but not for building strength.

I do weight training or bodyweight exercises 2 times a week to build strength and run outside on the weekends (weather permitting) to build endurance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hey guys!
    So I've been trying to improve my endurance and overall fitness health and OF course, lose a little bit of weight. I stumbled upon HIIT but because of my busy schedule, I am only able to do the HIIT workouts from home, for example watching Fitnessblender's YouTube videos. But I know that in order to improve endurance I should be running on the treadmill, the thing is, I feel like HIIT is better as it takes up less time. But does that mean I burn less calories? Which do you prefer?

If you want to improve your endurance, then you need to train for endurance. If you're doing aerobic interval or circuit training like fitnessblender then you're not training for endurance.

I'd make the distinction that their sessions aren't HIIT, but they do have value. A HIIT session would have your HR in the 98% max upwards range.

You are correct, the sessions are going to burn fewer calories than an endurance session, but that's not the point of training.

That said, if you're wanting to run, then run. If you're only running to burn calories then look to your calorie intake.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Endurance = more time. HIIT = less time. HIIT will do little to nothing for your endurance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I feel like HIIT is better as it takes up less time.
    If less time is the most important thing then I guess I see where you are coming from.

But does that mean I burn less calories?
    Yes, potentially far less. Nothing beats extended duration for big burns. Remember a lot of a HIIT workout is recovery time where you are burning very little (despite what a HRM may say!).

Which do you prefer?
    I never do HIIT. Would be a waste of training time for my goals which includes endurance. I do quite a bit of interval training though, commonly between 2.5 and 12 minute intervals for an hour. I also do a lot of longer steady sessions.