Daily Calorie calculation

Options
Which site or formula are you using for your daily calories? Every site has a different number.
1440 to 1600

I am 250lb 5'8 female 28 yrs old.
Sedentary

Replies

• jaz090202
    jaz090202 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2lbs a week. Should I have a 1200 goal?
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I like http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Use the Mifflin St Jeor calculation and a low activity rate for a more accurate calculation. I recommend setting your target to 100 calories below what the Weight Goal Calculator says. The number 1 mistake people make is under-reporting their food intake, so this will help you stay on track.

Good luck!
  • jaz090202
    jaz090202 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My calories are lower with the TDEE calculator
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That's probably the first calculator that actually seems to be right, for me. Interesting.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »
    I like http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Use the Mifflin St Jeor calculation and a low activity rate for a more accurate calculation. I recommend setting your target to 100 calories below what the Weight Goal Calculator says. The number 1 mistake people make is under-reporting their food intake, so this will help you stay on track.

Good luck!

This site says my TDEE is 1847... but MFP gives me a maintenance of 1830 before excersize... TDEE is supposed to include excersize.. so i don't think that site is correct.. but maybe someone else can put their stats in and see for themselves

I had to set myself to "Olympic athlete" to get anywhere close to the right numbers - but I have to do stuff like that for most TDEE calculators, so I may just be weird.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely use the MFP calculations to begin with. When I started here almost 3 yrs ago, I stuck with the numbers MFP allotted and I consistently lost weight. After the first 100 pounds were gone though, I've used several different methods of calculating, trying to find the best one for me. MFP was just too generous with the exercise calorie burns. Now, at maintenance I use MFP for logging my food, and my Fitbit for exercise burn.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think people tend to overestimate their TDEE but to each their own. One recent study showed very little difference between TDEE between sedentary people in industrialized countries and people in traditional cultures that do more physical labor (like the Kalahari Bushmen). I personally have found most TDEE estimates (including MFP's) to be too high, even when I set it on the most sedentary value. Currently for instance, MFP says I will lose .5 kg per week if I eat 1500ish calories per day. I know from eating that much and weighing myself regularly that I have to eat 1400 to lose that much. There are other variables though like I could not be logging correctly and I'm actually eating 100 calories more per day than I'm logging. Anyways, point being, none of these are perfect but it gives you a place to start your experimenting.