Finally went to the other side of the gym.

Options
bluecrush84
bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I today I went the gym with a plan. Not just my usual 35 on the elliptical and 10 on the stair step machine. I went to the daunting side of the gym....weights. I have always wanted to go where the cools kids were at but I was clueless about where to start or how. Worried about wasting my time, hurting myself or looking a fool. Well, I finally took the time to find a strength trading workout plan online that worked for me. Recorded short videos on my phone that showed me how to use the machines and use proper form. I also wrote down the names of the exercises and the reps I would do. Headphones on, cell phone and paper in hand I went to the other side.

I did feel a rush of adrenaline as I made my way. TLC in my ears and tunnel vision to my first machine.

I took my time to get to know the machines I used and proper form. I am slow now but I know I will get faster once I get the hang of it.

I have wanted to do this for years but getting into it seemed like a huge mountain.

I am so happy I did it. I took the first step towards weightlifting, building strength and sculpting/toning my body.

Replies

• LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do when starting out is to start slow, with lower weights than you can handle, and work your way up. I'd look at a program like Stronglifts 5x5 or NROWLFW as a good way to get off on the right foot with compound lifts that maximize your results with the minimum time invested. Form is critical. I'd think about hiring a trainer that's experienced in lifting freeweights to teach you proper form for at least a couple of sessions.

Good luck, you'll do fine, and with a proper program you're going to be amazed at what you'll be able to do in 2 or 3 months.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So great!!! I'm happy that your confidence is building! soon enough you are going to be a pro at the weights! :smile:
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to hear that you finally conquered your fears! Soon, you will learn to love it. I know I did!
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same level of intimidation at venturing into the free weight section, after months of wanting to go there, I finally got the courage...I started SL5x5. I am excited that you were able to overcome your fears. :)
    Pretty soon you'll be a pro!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Good for you! This will carry over in SO many other parts of your everyday life. After learning the compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press, and overhead press, my ability to lift heavy items (from the floor; over my head; whatever) has improved dramatically, as has my form! Lifting the huge full water jug above shoulder height to replace the empty one is easier--and I don't struggle, so I don't risk throwing my back out of whack. Stuff like that.

To say nothing of how weights will maintain (or increase) your bone density; maintain your muscle mass over time; or how your confidence level will improve.

There's no downside, so congratulations!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love this!!! That is awesome, OP. This post made me so happy. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You had a plan and are making it happen, way to go!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I went to the other side."
    And there weren't any ogres, monsters nor anything horrible. Just people working out to/with their own programs, minding their own business and leaving me to myself. Just imagine. Congratulations on coming over to the "other"side.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year to work up the courage. Now it's 10 years later. I think it was harder to make myself do that, by myself than compete at just about any meet.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yay, right where you belong!
  • alfalfasprout
    alfalfasprout Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nice work OP! I felt completely intimidated the first time too, but it does get easier!
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It felt great. I feel a little sore but good. I will be going back today.
  • mgutierrez3h0
    mgutierrez3h0 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't like going to the other side is because that's the "men's section" and I feel awkward and uncomfortable with them watching me lift or w/e. Congrats to you. :) Hopefully one day I'll be able to go there all by myself.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I guess Northern New Jersey is just so progressive, or what ever. The "other" side of my gym, the free weight and dumbbell section, has, at least, a 40% female attendance. Classes are another story, being mostly female, but the gym floor is pretty well mixed. Take a closer look, you may be surprised at the number of females lifting. In any event, there is truly nothing to worry about. Nobody is: "Sitting on a park bench..."

• Stacie215
    Stacie215 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm starting something new on tomorrow. A 6 week excerise & weight loss challenge with Heroic Fitness which will force me to the " other side of the gym". Pray for a sista, excited & scared.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP! Just remember that there's no rule that says only men can go in the free-weight area, and you belong there just as much as anyone else.

I was the only girl lifting at my gym for a good 6 months, and now I'm seeing some new women wander over and I think it's GREAT.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    a72e4ea2471b8d281c3f13bf94699cc7.gif