Thoughts on gym membership for nooners, despite having a home gym.

Options
Lizarking
Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
> I have a home gym that's very well outfitted. And it's fantastic- when 'm in the mood to lift after driving my hour+ commute home. And if it's less than 80 outside. So, about 4-5 months a year.

Near work is a gym that's about $45/mo. They have a couple squat racks.
Anyone join a gym to get some of your workout done at lunch? I'd only have about 30 minutes (40 if I fudge it)
I can't bench there (safeties) or deadlift there (I only deadlift hex.)

On hot summer days, I'd do most of my lifting in the gym at lunch, or on the way home, and hit bench/dead when i get home in the 105f garage.

I was thinking if I use it solely for squatting at lunch break, it'd be a great benefit.
Or cardio on rainy/super hot days too.

Plus it'd keep me away from fast food.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've never had the opportunity to get in a noon workout. Not sure where you live, but $45 as month seems pretty pricey for a gym where you can't bench or deadlift they way you want to and has a couple squat racks.

If it fits you budget, don't see a problem. Since you're only using it at noon, depending on how crowded it is and ownership (local or a mega-chain) I'd ask if I could get a discount.

Best of luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't have a home gym, but I have a primary and a secondary...I commute to another town for work 3 days out of the week so I use my secondary primarily for cardio on really crappy days weather wise. It's just a little community center gym though...I get a card that's filled for 20 visits for $20 at a time...I refill it about 3x per year.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    45 is average where I live. It sounds like you want it so do it, its you time. Like some people want to go to the movies some want to squat :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym but also am lucky to have a pretty sweet gym in my office building that is free for me. I lift at home and cardio at work during my lunch break.

That said, if I didn't have the work gym I wouldn't pay for an extra membership because I'm cheap.
  • Lizarking
    Options
    yeah, it's basically... $10 overcrowded box gym, $45 medium crowded gym, or $200 mega gym.

This is a 24 hour fitness btw
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    A month?!

In Australia that's per week prices.

Do you think you'll feel like rushing to cram getting changed, getting to the gym, working out, getting back to work and presumably having lunch at some time into your 30 min lunch break?
  • Lizarking
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    A month?!

In Australia that's per week prices.

Do you think you'll feel like rushing to cram getting changed, getting to the gym, working out, getting back to work and presumably having lunch at some time into your 30 min lunch break?

Got an hour here.
    I figure:

11:00-11:03 quick hop into gym clothes
    11:03-11:10 - get into the gym
    11:10 - 11:45 bust out some sweet squats
    11:45-11:50 quick whore's bath
    11:50-12:00 leisurely saunter back into work.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you'll use it and it keeps you away from food temptations I'd do it. I used to do a 45min class at the gym on a regular basis and if I didnt have clients wouldn't change back into office gear 1/2 the time. I am not a huge sweater so I could skip a shower. I didnt have a home gym at the time I had babies at home which meant exercise at home was damn near impossible at the time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've just taken out my third concurrent gym membership! Mostly so I can get more of my workouts done during my lunch break.

What really helped my return to fitness was having a gym at work so I could train more without losing all my spare time - plus it was ridiculously inexpensive.
    Recently moved office too far away to get there more than once a week and ended up losing too many evenings going to my local gym, I'm frequently the last one there at 10pm closing time.

The other bonus of exercise during the working day it is a great stress reliever for me. My boss is flexible with breaks so I'm not in a mad rush.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I usually go to my gym at 9am; on Tuesdays at noon. I never squat on Tuesdays, b/c there is no guarantee a rack will be free (and we have 4). See if you can go for a couple of days for a visitor fee and check out the rack situation at that time before committing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My definition of a "nooner" would require something much different than a gym.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I use my lunch hour to go for a run, If you enjoy that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Beat me by 5 minutes.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Sky rockets in flight.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    @Lizarking Does your company offer discounted membership, or does the gym offer discounted daytime membership?
  • jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I go even one step further. I have a well equipped home gym. My office has an amazing gym to use at lunch. AND I still just signed up for a $40/mo gym membership. I find the gym atmosphere inspires me to push a bit harder than I do at home. Also, I like the classes. Oh, and I'm still overweight and out of shape. Working on it though.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I worked in an office building that had a gym. I loved going to work out over lunch hour. If you can afford it, and you won't be late to work (therefore putting your job at risk), I would absolutely recommend it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't get a good workout in on my lunch break- not enough time- it takes me 1.5 hours minimum to change- warm up -lift and get out the door. not worth it to me.

Being said- I like the gym more than a home gym.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I go to my gym at lunch sometimes. If it's not breaking the bank and you will actually utilize it, then I would do it!!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I have a nice home gym where I lift, but I belong to a $10/month gym about a block from my job where I primarily run at lunch. (New England, either too cold/hot outside, I wimp). Occasionally I will use the machines there.

I like it, I know I can always cram some kind of workout in, either at home or work...