Carbs

Options
Seems like im always short 50-75 carbs. I always hit my protein and exceed by 30-40 grams and my fat is always real close. Wats some foods i can eat that are high in carbs. I always eat oatmeal twice a day and rice every meal. Any other ideas?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only worry about hitting my protein goal (mine is set to .8 grams per pound of lean body mass). Other than that I let carbs and fat be flexible.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Same as above, Only really worry about hitting my protein goal, everything else falls where it falls within my calories.

I could probably easily fit in a couple slices of toast any time though and fresh bread I could all day long!
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and fruit are also a good source of carbs. You could add some berries to your oatmeal and some steamed veggies with your rice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I pretty much only worry about hitting my protein goal (mine is set to .8 grams per pound of lean body mass). Other than that I let carbs and fat be flexible.

This. If you prefer eating 50-75 g of carbs less than your default goal, that's fine. I reset my goals to fit what I wanted to eat (and to make sure they had adequate protein for my muscle maintenance when on a deficit goals).
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

This is exactly what I do also. My carbs and fats vary a reasonable amount from day to day and it has not affected weight loss at all. If I were a professional athlete it would be a different scenerio but for us normal folk these ratios aren't vital. Hitting your other micro nutrients should be a higher priority. Getting all those essential vitamins and minerals is more important than macros in my books.
  • mslesnett
    mslesnett Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Good responses, im gaining some strength but also some fat. Would upping my carbs any help or what should i do. My goal is strength and size where im a powerlifter but at the same time i dont want that powerlifter gut lol
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruit! The best food. It comes complete with water, fiber, minerals, micro-nutrients, phyto-chemicals and energy. There is not much fat in most fruits, and the amount of carbs vary, so you can pick what works for you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    mslesnett wrote: »
    Good responses, im gaining some strength but also some fat. Would upping my carbs any help or what should i do. My goal is strength and size where im a powerlifter but at the same time i dont want that powerlifter gut lol

If you're bulking then fat gains are inevitable. You minimise them with progressive overload training. Macro splits won't change that (though someone around here attempted a keto bulk and I think put on more fat than he desired!) but carbs are always good when building muscle.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Reduce the size of your calorie surplus so you are in more of a "lean bulk" and gain weight slower.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Seems like im always short 50-75 carbs. I always hit my protein and exceed by 30-40 grams and my fat is always real close. Wats some foods i can eat that are high in carbs. I always eat oatmeal twice a day and rice every meal. Any other ideas?

If I am running low on carbs I usually go for rice, bread, fruit, pasta w/ low fat marinara sauce, pancakes+syrup, rice chex, pretzels. It is just personal preference.

Agree with Sijomial above. Magnitude of caloric surplus will determine how much fat you gain.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Any sources of carbs are fine, especially when bulking. Just stay 200-300 calories over TDEE to minimize fat gain. Make a PB&J for dessert or something or even frozen strawberry bars or Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches.
  • mslesnett
    mslesnett Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ill give this a try. Im new to the whole macros thing so im not really sure how it works but im trying to learn all i can. Thanks again!