Half marathon training

Options
I'm due to run a half marathon in May and I'm struggling with my training app.
I did couch to 5k and then 10k with Zenlabs apps and found they really worked for me. I'm on week 4 of the half marathon trainer and I feel so tired, it's 4 runs a week and 2 cross training sessions. I'm not very fit but I'm not unfit either.

I'm thinking about dropping one of the runs and "listening" to my body, but then it feels like I'm not completing what I need to.

Any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am half marathon training on 3 runs per week, 2 cross training sessions and 2 active rest days.

are your easy runs easy enough? are you fueling your workouts adequately - are you running a deficit? i struggle with balancing a deficit with more than 15 miles per week personally, i get too rungry!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Take a day if you feel you need it. See how you feel afterwards. After that, Sir Toad, above, hits the points you need to consider. Easy runs have to be EASY.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Take a day if you feel you need it. See how you feel afterwards. After that, Sir Toad, above, hits the points you need to consider. Easy runs have to be EASY.

Madam Toad.... :laugh:
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I started training for my Half in May back in December, then I got sick AND started lifting so I havn't been training for my run in a month!! So I'm going to follow this 8wk plan to get back on track and ready! Take a look and see if it works for you :)

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/21km-Novice-Training-Programme.pdf

I do find that if my body is not into running, i give it a whirl. If it doesnt work then I'll walk the rest of my running time. Thats my "break" I guess. You do need to take time if your body is asking for it :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    a few questions:

1) how are your 4 runs a week broken up? are they steady state/tempo runs?
    2) what are you doing for recovery? (stretching/yoga)
    3) what are you doing for your cross-training days?
  • FruityFridays
    FruityFridays Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

Just to answer the questions:

) how are your 4 runs a week broken up? are they steady state/tempo runs?
    I do two steady, one temp and one long
    2) what are you doing for recovery? (stretching/yoga)
    Not much, if I'm very honest
    3) what are you doing for your cross-training days?
    The cross trainer in the gym and/or swimming
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Who's training plan are you using?

With Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan (12 weeks) you can train with 3 runs per week (4th is optional)

halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

It sounds like you're still quite new to running, I'm not sure that I'd worry too much about tempo runs yet as you're still building your aerobic base.

As your runs get longer don't worry too much trying to maintain a caloric deficit, shoot for something close to maintenance to make sure you've got enough gas in the tank, and make sure you're getting enough sleep (one of the most important but overlooked parts of recovery)
  • FruityFridays
    FruityFridays Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started training for my Half in May back in December, then I got sick AND started lifting so I havn't been training for my run in a month!! So I'm going to follow this 8wk plan to get back on track and ready! Take a look and see if it works for you :)

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/21km-Novice-Training-Programme.pdf

I do find that if my body is not into running, i give it a whirl. If it doesnt work then I'll walk the rest of my running time. Thats my "break" I guess. You do need to take time if your body is asking for it :)

I've just had a look at this, I think I'm going to try this instead. Thank you
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Madam Toad.... :laugh:

My apologies, My Lady.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    That little mileage is going to make your race harder than it needs to be. You'll likely end up doing a lot of walking on race day. Higdon's novice 2 would probably be better. It has only one day of cross training, but four days of running. It does not include any speedwork. But if this is your first HM, pace is less important than finishing with a smile.

Just keep your pace easy during your training. Carb up a bit before your long runs, and when your runs get to 10 miles, try some sort of fuel during your run (i.e. Gu, Shotblok, jelly beans, etc.)