What do I do?

Options
clrrrr
clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
My eating/exercising schedule today was disrupted by a serious case of sleep deprivation. I try to work out at least a bit every day because 1200 calories just isn't satisfying to me. I had a pretty rich breakfast and lunch because I expected that workout and also for the extra energy push, so I was basically done with my cals by 4PM. I then went to sleep around then and just got up. I'll probably only stay awake for another four or so hours and then go back to bed. I'm not hungry now (I'm usually not when I first wake up, though, so I might be starving in an hour). Should I A) go to the gym and get a late-night workout in, then come home and eat, B) eat something light and go over on cals but not worry about it and make up for it tomorrow (easier said than done, since tomorrow is my mom's birthday), or C) not work out or eat and wake up feeling super lithe! I currently don't much feel like eating or working out, but once I emerge from my haze of sleep I'm concerned I'll feel differently (my gym closes in 2.5 hours).

Replies

• heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would suggest snacking on something light in calories but high in nutrition like fruit or veggies and go over by a little bit. Then get back on track tomorrow. Obviously your body was telling you that you needed some extra sleep today, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have a "rest" day from exercise as well! Hope it works out for you!
  • mollyrb
    mollyrb Posts: 4
    Options
    I would go with C if you have the will power.
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    your going to want to save the cheating for tomorrow so either go with c or find a small low cal snack to munch on... I know Air popped popcorn!!!
  • clrrrr
    Options
    Okay I had a plum and I still have 4 calories to spare! Haha. I'm feeling okay about it. Might still go to the gym because part of my tiredness was due to stress/anxiety and obviously getting a workout in is a more healthful way to deal with that.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    where did you get 1200 cals? i see that number thrown around alot.

what you should be going on is your bmr with activity level and reduce from there. if you workout a lot, then maybe reduce by 250 cals a day from your bmr and dont eat back and see if that helps.

also..many times our blood sugars drop at certain times of the day and raise at others..while you sleep it lowers, since you dont need that much energy to live..and around the time you wake up it goes up to prepare for the energy it'll need to get moving. and when i see you are basically done by 4 eating..makes me think you dont have enough carbs/insulin in your body when you wake to keep you going..hence why you feel hungry an hour after you wake..you've used up what little stores you've had. try eating a snack before bed.. a low gi snack. also try eating something before you workout. exercise can also raise blood sugar levels and hence set you up for a crash later..eating a lower gi food before hand will help with this 'crash'.
  • clrrrr
    Options
    where did you get 1200 cals? i see that number thrown around alot.

what you should be going on is your bmr with activity level and reduce from there. if you workout a lot, then maybe reduce by 250 cals a day from your bmr and dont eat back and see if that helps.

1200 is the number MFP recommends based on my activity levels. I try to stick to that because otherwise I wouldn't be using this site. And usually it is more than enough for me if I eat my exercise calories, but today was different because I was sleeping during all the time I would usually be walking hills, doing elliptical, etc. I did go to rehearsal, which meant a bit of dancing, but not really enough to work up a sweat.