Fail

Options
I was so bad today :( It seems like once I know I made one mistake, I call the whole day a loss and eat everything in sight!! I'm so upset with this. Seems like it's been a weekly thing since Christmas. I'm having trouble being as disciplined as I used to be.

Replies

• KMAnderson4026
    KMAnderson4026 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean i do good all day and then just before bed time i get the cravings that I can't stop. Every morning i say today will be different and most nights i give in and do the same stupid things. Need to find a mouth muzzle
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The whole day isn't a wreck when you can just compensate by eating lighter than planned later in the day and still come out normal.

Think of it as just.. Re-positioning your allowance over the day.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it! It's not easy this MFP!
    I have indulged many a time!
    There's nothing wrong with indulging, all your food doesn't have to be low cal super healthy stuff!

You want to eat a treat then do! But log it!!
    I did this a lot at first, but found the more times I Indulged on high cal food the more hungry I was that day because I'd used up so much more calories. When I started making smarter choices I never got hungry!
  • George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I'm the same it's a viscous cycle that we need to overcome feel free to add me for added support.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I try to leave 100 to 200 calories a day in my plan for an indulgence. That way I can have my indulgence then move on without guilt nor feeling of failure.
  • PRChica2015
    PRChica2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Me too...this has been a bad WEEK for me! Overindulged during the weekend and had too many tempting leftover chips/etc around the house which I have been eating all week. Finally threw the last ones out yesterday so hoping I can refocus today. You are not alone! Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You have to stop being so fatalistic - it's not a total loss if you make one mistake...just like riding a bike. When you fall off, you get right back on. You don't stay off laying in the gravel, crying. :) You get up, pull up your socks and straighten your clothes, and continue on.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Good comments above. What works for me in this case is that I continue to log my food even when I over indulge. This helps me realize the excess amount of calories, etc. I've eaten, and I will therefore compensate and adjust my next meal. This usually happens when we eat out. Good luck and keep on truckin!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    If you go over, it's not a loss, you subtract those calories from your next meals. If you over ate your calories for the whole day, just get something super low cal like celery to snack on until the next day.

I struggled with food binges for years. It was the same thing, "oh I'm off my diet might as well eat EVERYTHING" but that is an eating disorder, and if you don't stop the behavior you WILL stay fat.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For me the key thing that has helped my weight loss the most is getting right back on track. If I eat to much at one meal or snack, I immediately go back to my planned food for the next meal or snack. I do not let myself fall into the "oh, well, this day's shot" mentality. I also don't overly restrict to try to make up for the indulgence. That is also something that causes me to want to indulge too often. I just go back to my regular eating plan. I may not lose that week or not as much. But one over calorie meal or snack isn't going to derail your entire effort.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    Good comments above. What works for me in this case is that I continue to log my food even when I over indulge. This helps me realize the excess amount of calories, etc. I've eaten, and I will therefore compensate and adjust my next meal. This usually happens when we eat out. Good luck and keep on truckin!

I do the same and one of two things happens.....1) I see where the day is headed (like 6000 calories) and Snap out of it; or 2) I keep eating and hit 6,000 calories ( or pick a number), but have a record of the day and can track trends over time.

It's gonna happen, but log and learn.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean i do good all day and then just before bed time i get the cravings that I can't stop. Every morning i say today will be different and most nights i give in and do the same stupid things. Need to find a mouth muzzle

Interestingly, I did this for 20 years. Also interestingly, I haven't done it for nearly 4 years. I've also been low carb for 4 years. My hunger no longer spirals out of control and ruins my life.

• HungryHungrystepho
    HungryHungrystepho Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You all have such wonderful insights! Thank you so much! I do seem to have an all or nothing mentality. I measure and weigh EVERYTHING and have huge successes but then have days like that where I just completely throw in the towel. I know that being so strict is not sustainable and I'm setting myself up for binges. Just have to figure out how to allow some more flexibility into my day. I have a physically demanding job and if I've had a particularly challenging day, I really pig out!! Because I'm soooo hungry. I need to give myself a small cushion for those days without going overboard. Thank you again. I feel a little less defeated after reading all of your supportive comments
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    You all have such wonderful insights! Thank you so much! I do seem to have an all or nothing mentality. I measure and weigh EVERYTHING and have huge successes but then have days like that where I just completely throw in the towel. I know that being so strict is not sustainable and I'm setting myself up for binges. Just have to figure out how to allow some more flexibility into my day. I have a physically demanding job and if I've had a particularly challenging day, I really pig out!! Because I'm soooo hungry. I need to give myself a small cushion for those days without going overboard. Thank you again. I feel a little less defeated after reading all of your supportive comments

Another thought: Experiment with alternative remedies for a challenging day, rather than food.

Some possible candidates: Exercise, warm relaxing bath (or hot tub, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room if you have access), stretching or yoga, meditation, listening to music you enjoy, a hobby activity that's fun, non-food small indulgent purchase, etc.

Change the script! ;)