Half of my body mass to lose 23st (320lbs)

Options
donk2901
donk2901 Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2017 in Getting Started
Hi Folks, My first thread on here please be apologise for the newbie questions. Im looking to find a long term/practical program for my long term goal of 140lbs!!! down from 320lbs.

I've started just recently doing 440 calories on a cross trainer for 30 mins and eating 1300 cals a day.

5ft7" male - 35 years of age - dont fancy dieing before 40!

Anyone share info ? or be friends to monitor each others progress
need help with lifting

Replies

• TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would definately eat more than that to begin with, I have about 10 stone to lose and on 1690 calories at the moment.

Good luck on your journey
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I weigh about 140 and am 10 years old that you are and I eat more than 1,300 a day. You definitely should be too, otherwise, as someone already said, you'll crash and burn. My guesstimate is that you could eat close to 2900 calories a day and still lose about 2 pounds a week.

I used this free calculator to help me lose 50 pounds. Just plug in your stats and see what you get. I'm sure it's more than 1,300. Good luck.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Let MFP provide you with your starting calories, based on current weight and required loss per week.
    2lbs per week loss might not look too much, but this is not a quick process, as when you do not eat enough you will give up because you feel it does not work or you are constantly hungry. Play the long game, you did not gain it overnight, so you cannot (healthily) lose it overnight either
  • donk2901
    Options
    thanks for your advice everyone
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little?
  • donk2901
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I trying to drastically lose weight, I got a low thyroid aswell but taking medication for that, seems to be hard to shift the weight I done 2and half mile walk today so got 1800 calories left over. I have been lifting weights but not sure if thats why i been feeling low energy today. looking for healthy snack lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about a weight-loss plan? I don't think you need to be as low as 1300, but 2900 is probably too many, too. I would say try to hit 2000-2500, including your exercise.

Really, you are someone who would really benefit from some professional advice.
  • ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Don't punish yourself to lose the weight, I am 2/3 your age 1/3 your size and I can lose weight eating more than that, input yours stats and eat the calories MFP gives you.
  • acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You're not eating nearly enough for your size. You'll set yourself up to fail. Up your calories and set your weight loss a conservative amount weekly. You'll be more successful in the long run and you won't be starving!
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you are trying to get your weight under control, but like the other posters said, don't overdo it and set your calories for something more reasonable. I would starve at only 1300 calories a day, and I am (literally) half your weight. work out what you burn daily to stay the same weight (maintenance calories) and then subtract a reasonable amount from that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    donk2901 wrote: »
    I trying to drastically lose weight, I got a low thyroid aswell but taking medication for that, seems to be hard to shift the weight I done 2and half mile walk today so got 1800 calories left over. I have been lifting weights but not sure if thats why i been feeling low energy today. looking for healthy snack lol

Crash dieting but eating 1300 cals, and running out of energy like you have today is just a recipe for bingeing.

You're trying to learn healthy eating habits, not just losing weight.
  • todd_grover
    todd_grover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck donk2901! I would echo the comments on setting the appropriate calorie count. Keep it realistic for the long term. One thing not mentioned is you should spent time educating yourself on nutrition. Macros, good/bad carbs, sugars, fatty acid types, etc... It's all science and not black magic. This will help you make better food choices. < i started with the book "eat bacon not jog"> funny but educational. And of course keep the exercise going, but 80% of the work is in the kitchen.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    As you read up on this, You'll see losing 1% of your body weight per week is deemed the upper boundary, so targeting 3lbs/wk at your start weight would be practical without going too fast.

I'm targeting 100lbs off in 2017, will send you a friend request.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm on 1700 cal for 2lbs per week weight loss and I'm a female weighing 305lbs. I agree with others that you should probably eat more, I can't imagine 1300 and my BMR is probably lower than yours. Honestly, I know it seems like a lot of weight and a long time to be doing it, but every single time I've started myself on too much of a deficit (like that week I literally starved myself, AWFUL idea), I crashed, burned, and gained everything back plus more. You will totally be more successful on a plan you can sustain. I've "only" lost 24lbs since November (haven't been tracking the whole time since as you can probably tell), but it has stayed off and I'm still motivated.
    Side note, interesting you use a picture of Boogie as your profile picture :P
  • donk2901
    Options
    haha boogie is my idol ! ;) yea thanks all I did take the hint yesterday and taken it to 1500 cals felt a lot better this morning. Thanks all ! Its a life choice now and eating leaner for long term is my goal.

• hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Eat what MFP says. Eat 1/2 of your exercise calories back. Congratulations on the long walk. That is awesome. Do what your body allows and what you enjoy for exercise. Don't rush it. You will be fine as long as you stick to it. Be proud of yourself every day! You can do this.
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My hubby went from 330 to 195 (and now back to 250 since we had kids) so I know you can do it too! Good luck!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    1500 cals is way too low as well, but at least a step up
  • donk2901
    Options
    Thanks all I did try starving myself once but fainted putting my daughters wardobes together that's when I seen a doctor. I've been big most of my life but lost 10stone when I was a teenager by starving myself..it don't work now lol

I'm work as an network infrastructure engineer so a little bit of expertise I am determined to change for life because of my kids xx

Thanks for all the advise and help. Problem with calorie counting you feel guilty for eating something not clean.

Do you know if lifting weights puts weight on the scales ? Been doing both but only lyrics lost 2lbs this week . Walking I can do on a lunch time but I crash on the cross trainer low energy . In eating lots of veg and chicken but energy levels are lower. Don't fancy a bar of chocolate cause it's beating me up inside