Elliptical Machine Tip.

Options
So sometimes I do extended stints on the elliptical. A lot of people dread this because of the monotony of a linear movement extended workout. Fortunately the E. goes forward and backward. "Just great...two movements instead of one."

Here's my key...each time I do something different and I rarely record exactly HOW I did it or in what order so that it doesn't get monotonous.

Example:

40 minute session w/5 minute cool down.
Programmed for "Random" resistance---
10 minutes forward. Level 10
10 minutes backward.
5 minutes forward. Increase to level 12
5 minutes backward
7.5 minutes forward. Increase to level 15
2.5 minutes backward.
5 minutes forward.
Cool down.

Next time I go on the E. might be something like this:
30 minute session w/5 minute cool down.
Programmed for "Hill" resistance---
3 minutes forward. Level 10
3 minutes backward
3 minutes forward
3 minutes backward
6 minutes forward Level 11
6 minutes backward
6 minutes forward
5 minutes forward.
Cool down.

Every time I break it up in larger or smaller chunks randomly. No set pattern. I just change each time and never keep track. That way I'm not just "going through the motion" of getting on the elliptical machine.

Thought I would share.

Replies

• tsjourney14
    tsjourney14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, I look forward to when I can go to the gym again and get on the E.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I get through my elliptical routines by having a fairly large playlist that has a bunch of my most favorite songs that have different beats. I then put it on shuffle, and switch the intensity levels to match each song. Slower songs I put on a much higher level so it's harder and slower; opposite for faster songs. I also don't "let" myself listen to this particular playlist unless I am on an exercise machine, so if I want to hear some of my favorite tunes, I gotta get on a machine and get it done.

You got me thinking, though; I'm going to try going backwards on some of them.
  • legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You can go backwards on an elliptical? The more you know...
  • CellywithBellie
    CellywithBellie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be snarky, but a curious question...is the E an effective form of exercise vs running/walking on an incline? Just curious.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My tip for the elliptical is to stay away from it :)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be snarky, but a curious question...is the E an effective form of exercise vs running/walking on an incline? Just curious.

How do you define "effective" in this situation? Heart rate? Calories burned? Personal preference plays a factor too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I manage to be effective by walking by it as quickly as possible. problem solved.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't prefer the elliptical but because of my knee I try not to run more than 2 or 3 times a week so it's my go-to cardio after swimming (which just isn't possible during my work week). My feet fall asleep after about 30 minutes though.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I prefer the E.

I can't speak scientifically about the effectiveness of one vs. the other. I'm willing to bet not many people on this forum can do so. So that would simply make it a matter of preference.

I've lost 60 pounds using primarily an E. for my cardio over the last 4 months. I'd say that's effective. Would I have lost more running/walking on an incline? Who's to say/know?

• Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    My tip for the elliptical is to stay away from it :)

Most Bro's do stay away from the E. Dude you are ripped as hell. All the cardio you need is all tied up over at the squat rack. Unfortunately for me...I'm just not on that level...yet.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I manage to be effective by walking by it as quickly as possible. problem solved.

<3 this reply. TY :D
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    legsnbacon wrote: »
    You can go backwards on an elliptical? The more you know...

Wait...whut? :D
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    I don't prefer the elliptical but because of my knee I try not to run more than 2 or 3 times a week so it's my go-to cardio after swimming (which just isn't possible during my work week). My feet fall asleep after about 30 minutes though.

Also bad knees and one very messed up ankle.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Due to the shape of the motion, and the design of the machine, you CAN actually generate more intensity than running.

The biggest downside of the elliptical machines, is that there is no standard for stride distance, or spacing, so some are very much like running, and some are very much like stairclimbers, and some are very nearly useless because of their short stride distance(making them like a standing stationary bike.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical because it is very low impact. Unfortunately not everyone can run or walk for long on hard surfaces because of prior injury. Anyhow, you have to use the elliptical correctly, which means playing around with the resistance and speed. I do intervals on the elliptical and continue to challenge myself. Otherwise, you aren't reaping the full benefits of the machine. When used properly it provides excellent cardio.