Tips for travel

Options
I'll be traveling the next few weeks for vacation and work. Any advice for staying on track?

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk. And try to stay local and in-season with foods (ie fish, seasonal fruits & veggies). Stay hydrated. Sleep. And have fun!
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead and look at menus online. Can you bring along some of your favorite snacks? If you're staying at a hotel use their fitness room. Vacation time is really hard for me. Research restaurants and food choices ahead of time if possible. Only eat half your meal at a restaurant.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Low-cal snack in the purse is a must-have for me. Alternate glasses of water with any calorie-laden drinks at meal times. Skip cabs and walk when you can.

... but enjoy yourself, moderately. :)
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I bring snacks for the plane, especially for long flights- turkey pepperoni, babybels, carrots/celery, peanut butter on rice cakes, etc. When I have to eat out with clients, I limit my intake- 1 glass of wine max, lots of water, and meals that are protein/veggie heavy (salads, street tacos, steak, chicken, fish entrees). Always substitute the starch side (Rice, pasta, potatoes) for a veggie- you will be horrified how much oil/butter they put in there. Always order the dressing on the side. Never eat the bread from the breadbasket. Generally choose salads over sandwiches. Skip dessert. I don't have to live like that at home, but when you're eating out every meal for 3-5 days on end, the calories will add up really, really fast. I also make it a point to wake up and work out every single morning on business trips, no matter how ungodly early I have to do it. It sets the tone for the day, helps me burn extra calories, and gives me a reminder at that client dinner that I 'don't want to undo all that work I did at 5 am.'
  • gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I used to travel for work, I would walk to a local market or Target City store and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies, Greek yogurt to keep me on track. (Request a small fridge for your hotel room to keep things fresh). Walking/running is a lovely way to explore the city you're in.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I’ve been travelling for work for six weeks. I put on two kg during the first few weeks as I was eating out all the time but I’ve lost it again by working out and logging religiously
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Walk, walk, walk. And try to stay local and in-season with foods (ie fish, seasonal fruits & veggies). Stay hydrated. Sleep. And have fun!

^^^this