New and can't wait to use this as a tool

Options
Hey there, I'm Amanda and you will probably be seeing me in the boards often. I have many questions I am hoping to get advice on. I don't want to be too general, so I may have a few going at the same time. I'm hoping to lose about 50-60 lbs in total. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months and I have gained 4 back so far. I have been increasing my exercise routine each week but my weakness is my diet. I don't eat any sweet foods, or eat that much at all. My problem is skipping meals and then just waiting cause my kid will be hungry when she gets home or other reasons. I Smoke cigarettes and drink lots of stuff all day and can say that about 70% of the time I only eat dinner and possibly a snack each day.

I guess I can't start off by looking for advice on managing to eat every meal when you are extremely busy. I am a single mom of 7 yr old, a computer engineering student, and work a job where I get paid cash under the table.
MAIN PROBLEMS
So busy that I usually just care about the kid getting fed and properly dressed and out of the door. Then I immediately go to school. After school I go straight to gym. And then my kid is home from school shortly after. We do her homework and then make dinner and get ready for bed.
Any single moms, college students, and full time workers have any advice on how to fit in a breakfast or lunch without making bad choices?
Since I make cash here and there, I don't grocery shop in bulk, but usually every few days or so. And since my kid is gone all day I usually focus on dinners.
Any tips on ways to shop lightly but still satisfy more than just dinners? Super simple healthy AND quick options for breakfast and lunch?
And this is probably going to be an annoying question to most but anyone have any odd tips that helped them quit smoking? I smoke pretty hardcore (1-1.5 packs a day) and have habitual triggers. Wake up. Driving. After food. Driving. Lol. Before bed. I also smoke newports so I'm very addicted. I've thought about trying to actually deal with the anxiety and other issues that trigger the cravings but I really don't want to go to therapy or anything. Anyone gotten anxiety meds without counseling? I hate pills and don't drink or do drugs, and just get sick from pain meds. So it would be strictly for proper use. I just don't want counseling or psychology anything.

Replies

• kinesiologic
    kinesiologic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, Amanda! Welcome! I'm also new here - nice to meet another student!

I'm completing a MD-PhD program (or, the equivalent of ... long story), and work long days as wells. I started MFP just a few days ago to hold myself accountable for healthy eating and regular exercise. (The great irony is that I'm an expert in physical activity -- too busy researching exercise to exercise myself!)

My biggest tip is to meal plan and prep. On Sundays, I sit down and map out the week -- everything from main meals to snacks. I go grocery shopping and then spend a few hours in the kitchen prepping. Some meals are ready to go. A few require minimal prep (eg, assembling salads from pre-chopped veggies). My typical breakfast is overnight oats. Lunch is a salad or sandwich. Dinner is a soup or eggs/toast. Snacks are chopped fruits and veggies, trail mix, hard boiled eggs, granola bars, and homemade cookies. To make it easy, I cook the same things for five days straight -- the menu rotates each week.

Pack your lunch the night before, and have it ready in the fridge so that you don't have to worry about it in the morning.

A bit of extra motivation ... Kids learn a lot about healthy habits from their parents! Making an effort to be a good role model - and asking your little one to help you in the kitchen - is a really powerful teaching and bonding tool. And, one of the best things parents can do for their kids is eat dinner with them each night. (TV and electronics turned off!)
  • amandabanfield95
    Options
    Yes I have definitely made sure that she is healthy. I am an extremely picky eater(texture issues/gag...long story as well). But I make sure she is exposed to food I don't like and eats a much wider range than I do as an adult even. We make dinner together every night. She is my best helper. Said she wants to be on masterchef junior one day. Lol. Our dinners are always healthy, usually chicken, fresh veggies with alternative sides of salads, brown rice, cauliflower "mashed potatoes " and such. The meal prep is the hardest thing for me. I am going to try writing everything down for a whole week. Sounds like a solid plan. Pretty common sense. My main problem that I stated was buying for a whole week at a time. I literally go and buy chicken and peppers after the gym sometimes. I guess money is the main issue there. Thanks for the input. Good luck with your journey as well.

P. S. That bit about over "googling " or youtubing is so funny. I've sat for hours just watching other people exercise. Ha
  • kinesiologic
    kinesiologic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Aw! I love your kiddo! - too cute!!!

Best of luck!!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Amanda,

You seem to have a lot of right thinking. You just need to put things into action. I'm always amazed at people "too busy to have breakfast" but you seem to be giving your child breakfast. Why not start a few minutes earlier so its not such a rush, then you can both have breakfast together.

You didn't mention where your job actually fits in to your daily routine, but is there room for a structured "lunch time" rather than just snacking while you work?
  • amandabanfield95
    amandabanfield95 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Tony, thanks my job is kind of random. I'm on call and do shifts generally in the afternoon and night time. Yes, waking up a bit earlier is obviously the right thing to do. But when I'm doing homework until 1:30am it's kinda hard for me to wake up earlier than the 6:30 I already do. That being said, I guess being too tired is really just another excuse! Lol. But it's not like I stay up binge watching Netflix, about three days a week I stay up quite late doing the homework when I didn't have time during the day. Time management I guess. I'm working on it.
    Thanks for the advice!