Gaining weight like crazy

Options
I am at a loss! I have been exercising 5 days a week and eating 5 to 6 times a day, lots of fruits and veggies. I weighed myself when I first started this routine on Feb 20th. I weighed 180lbs. I weighed myself this past Monday and at first got a reading of 187lbs. I was shocked, I tried again after a shower and was 176. This made more sense as I can tell a noticeable difference in my waist and arms. Fast forward to today and the scale says 190lbs. The scale weighs my husband correctly so is it possible to retain that much water or have that much swelling due to muscle tear/repair? I am still noticing more energy, clothes fitting better, etc. so I inclined to ditch the scale but it is really discouraging. If it matters, I am breastfeeding my daughter.
Thanks for any advice or insight

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Are you logging calories? You can still eat too many calories of "healthy" foods.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How old is your daughter?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think your scale is the issue...maybe a new battery is in order. While fluctuations in weight are common, 14 Lb fluctuations in weight aren't...and nobody is putting on 14 Lbs in four days...and if they did, they'd feel it in their clothes.
  • ALM0126
    ALM0126 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am logging calories. I have been sticking to what MFP suggests. I only exceeded that one day by 200 calories
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Guessing you're weighing at different times throughout the day. Here's a clue: you weigh 170lbs. You drink 2lbs of water..............you'll now weigh 172lbs. But it's not fat weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ALM0126
    ALM0126 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 10 months old. Hmm maybe the battery. I had not thought of that. It seems to give accurate weights some times and inaccurate weights at other times.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am for ditching the scale all together and relying on your reflection in the mirror and fit of your clothes... that's what I did and it worked (just look at my profile pictures).... have no clue what I weigh and don't care. What I do care about is that I went from a size 26 to a size 4... and it isn't even the clothing size number that matters.. Try taking the emphasis off what the scale has to say and put it on what your body has to say
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Be sure to always weigh under the same conditions:
    Scale in same place on floor.
    Reset scale before using.
    Weigh first thing in morning, after using bathroom, before eating or drinking, no clothes or same clothes every time.

Weight is also affected by where you are in your monthly cycle. Some people gain during ovulation, other during menses, etc. Also realize that weight naturally fluctuates during the day and from day to day, based on hydration, sodium, exercise, nursing, etc.

Does your hubby use the same scales? Has his weight been stable or jumped around like yours?
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    New scale, at least a new battery.