Hashimoto Disease & Hypothyroid

Options
can anyone relate? seriously, WORST ANNOYANCE EVER.
sleepy
cold
constipated
fat
ugh.

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Are you medicated? I lost my thyroid to cancer and have to rely entirely on synthetic hormones, but I find that if I'm medicated to the right levels I don't have any hypothyroid symptoms.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Yes. Had it for years. Hope you caught it early. I have found it always to be a struggle. Especially the depression.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what @VioletRojo said - if your medication dosage is correct, then your symptoms should subside....I take daily levothyroxine and its taken a couple of years to get my levels stable
  • sahalbur
    sahalbur Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I developed mine during my last pregnancy when my thyroid decided not to work correctly after pregnancy. I lost 60 pounds after my first son was born, but when I tried losing weight after my second was born, I had no energy, depressed, couldn't lose weight, STARVING all the time even after eating a large meal...

And let me tell you, FREEZING Iowa winters are just TERRIBLE when you have Hashimotos!
  • blondehag
    blondehag Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm medicated, but I know synthetic anything isn't as great as real...
  • VioletRojo
    Options
    blondehag wrote: »
    Yeah I'm medicated, but I know synthetic anything isn't as great as real...

It's not, but you can get close with the right dose/cocktail, but it requires a doctor who listens to you and your symptoms, not just lab reports. Most doctors will only prescribe Synthroid, but Synthroid isn't for everyone and there are several other thyroid hormone replacements available.
  • blondehag
    Options
    yeah - im pretty happy with synthroid and my bf is a doctor so i'm pretty good about medication, exercise and now recently diet (paleo-ish), so we shall see if i feel better. my *kitten* hair and nails have never improved.

i can't believe how common it is though!!! seems like everyone is hypo these days.
  • abundantlyme
    abundantlyme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm both hypo and hashi's too! I'm on levothyroxine and it does help, but man! So annoying!
  • blondehag
    Options
    no gluten... sigh. seriously tho, cutting gluten and goitrogens really helps!
  • ks_mommaof5
    ks_mommaof5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same camp!! I quit refined sugar 18 months ago and I felt immensely better! I even lost 50 pounds. Unfortunately I stopped exercising a few months ago due to stress and wound up gaining back about 15 pounds. The only thing that has ever worked for me is a high protein diet with a combination of aerobics and heavy weight lifting. Wish there was an easy button!!! Would love to hear what works for you and others!
  • boogledoo8
    boogledoo8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would feel much better if doctors actually listened to how I'm feeling and my level of symptoms instead of saying "you're fine, it's all in your head because your labs are within range." :(
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    boogledoo8 wrote: »
    I would feel much better if doctors actually listened to how I'm feeling and my level of symptoms instead of saying "you're fine, it's all in your head because your labs are within range." :(

I had a doctor like that - it wasn't until I documented every symptom that I was having even though my labs were "normal" that I finally got somewhere...I also had better luck with my PCM being willing to adjust my meds than my endo - who pissed me off
  • boogledoo8
    boogledoo8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I saw 3 GPs and 4 endos who all told me that. This was my goiter at the time, too. 4m5bhomb55xh.jpg
  • VioletRojo
    Options
    boogledoo8 wrote: »

Find a new doctor. There are good one's out there. Try this list http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/index.htm