Body weight only workout app recommendation

Options
I am working overseas for the next three years doing humanitarian work. I don't have access to any dietary supplements, gyms, or heavy weights. I do have a pull-up bar & 10lb, 15lb, and 20lb sets of free weights. What would be your recommendation for a mostly body weight exercise program to loose ten lbs of fat then maintain fitness for the next three years??

Replies

• darkspaten
    darkspaten Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book "You Are Your Own Gym" (YAYOG) by Mark Lauren and the companion app "Bodyweight Training: You Are Your Own Gym" by Hard Coded Fitness. It's all completely bodyweight, without extraneous equipment. Some basic items can be integrated (e.g. a towel, books, chairs, tables, etc.) Another great aspect is how progressive the regiments are -- such as a push-up going from (1) hip-height to (2) knee-height to (3) floor to (4) feet on a chair to (5) hands on chairs to (6) inverted. The app has these progressions, customizable programs, demonstration videos, etc. Per your inquiry, it can be tailored for strength, endurance, and high intensity intervals. Great stuff. Have a great experience overseas and stay fit!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    YAYOG is a good one.
    Al Kavadlo has his own app now too. And he's very well respected in the body weight realm
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Another vote for YAYOG. I've also heard Fitness blender has some solid programs.
  • ISO905
    ISO905 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Touchfit by George St. Pierre and John Barardi is very good. It's $4.99 at the iTunes store
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Madbarz has some good body weight routines.

Look into getting a suspension trainer. I travel a lot for work and take my Woss Titan with me. 60 bucks, compact and portable.
  • ttanderson79
    ttanderson79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice. I will check them out the next time I have good internet reception!
  • DrunkMosquitos
    DrunkMosquitos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really like my Woss straps. Much cheaper than other brands out there and they do the same thing. I like the Al Kavadlo app, but I didn't see a lot of variety in the app itself. I've used Sworkit a little, too, and like that the exercises are mixed up constantly so it isn't the same routine every day. . I really enjoy the freeletics app, lots of different workouts to try out.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    darkspaten wrote: »
    I recommend the book "You Are Your Own Gym" (YAYOG) by Mark Lauren and the companion app "Bodyweight Training: You Are Your Own Gym" by Hard Coded Fitness. It's all completely bodyweight, without extraneous equipment. Some basic items can be integrated (e.g. a towel, books, chairs, tables, etc.) Another great aspect is how progressive the regiments are -- such as a push-up going from (1) hip-height to (2) knee-height to (3) floor to (4) feet on a chair to (5) hands on chairs to (6) inverted. The app has these progressions, customizable programs, demonstration videos, etc. Per your inquiry, it can be tailored for strength, endurance, and high intensity intervals. Great stuff. Have a great experience overseas and stay fit!

I agree. I would suggest, if you can bring them with you, getting some suspension straps (Jungle Gym XT, TRX, or the like) as they will really help with pulling motions to work your back.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Another vote for YAYOG + Straps. Love em.