Why is measuring food using cups so inaccurate?

Options
You know how people say to always weigh their food instead of using measuring cups to judge how much you're eating? Well I was wondering why measuring cups are so inaccurate. Like it makes sense that using a measuring cup to measure out 1 cup of flour could cause some discrepancy depending on how much the flour is packed down.

But what about foods that aren't so easily smushed such as cereal? Or others food like that. Is using a measuring cup that inaccurate? Do I really need a food scale to weigh out how much cereal I'm eating?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You know how people say to always weigh their food instead of using measuring cups to judge how much you're eating? Well I was wondering why measuring cups are so inaccurate. Like it makes sense that using a measuring cup to measure out 1 cup of flour could cause some discrepancy depending on how much the flour is packed down.

But what about foods that aren't so easily smushed such as cereal? Or others food like that. Is using a measuring cup that inaccurate? Do I really need a food scale to weigh out how much cereal I'm eating?

The theory is that since a measured cup of flour may weigh a different amount than another measured cup of flour that measuring with cups is inaccurate. The irony is that the people who make this claim never demonstrate that two cups of flour that weigh the same have the same number of calories in them. There is actually inaccuracies in weighing food as well.

There are a couple of different views on this. One is that we should get as close to accurate as we can, so we should weigh our food even though doing so gives us inaccurate calorie counts. Another view is that we should simply allow for inaccuracies and eliminate them by turning our attention things that are accurate.

I take the second view. Regardless of how inaccurate our measurement of food calories and calorie burns may be, the bathroom scale reveals the truth. If the bathroom scale is going up then we need to increase our calorie deficit. If the bathroom scale is going down then we need to decrease our calorie deficit. Using measuring cups and accepting the calorie counts listed on menus works great with this approach, but so does using a food scale.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cups are great for liquid measure, but inaccurate for most dry goods. The density varies so greatly in many products. A cup of flour will increase in weight on a humid day and decrease on a dry day. Commercial bakeries always use the weight of dry ingredients when preparing a mixture.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It tells you why right on the package. "Contents may settle during shipping"
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to use a scale, don't.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    way to many variables ....simple as that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    What does 1 cup of chicken look like?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    There's also the fact that many cup measures have the line below the top rim, so you are supposed to fill them level to slightly below the rim. There is just so much room to heap it slightly or fill it just a little bit too deep and so create an error.

And it just gives you scope to cheat yourself. One podcaster I listen to said she was shocked to find, when she started weighing her food, just how adept she was at packing stuff into a cup measure - she said she had somehow found a way to fit a cup and a half of ice cream into a cup measure by squashing it down! (Ice cream contains air, remember - and so do many, many other things).

I'm not one of those who would ban eyeballing - I am actually a habitual eyeballer. But I have found over time that I have a talent for this, and I developed it by weighing portions regularly. I still weigh them at intervals to protect against creep.
    And crucially, I know that by eyeballing I run a risk of underestimating, and if I stop losing, I'll know why and what to change.

So many people either eyeball or use volume measures without ever doing the necessary work of facing up to just how wrong their perceptions of portion size really are, so they are unwittingly kidding themselves. The only way to really see what a real portion looks like is with a scale. It will be a shock, but that shock is a necessary part of the journey - you can't skip it. If you try to, you'll find yourself on here asking why you're eating 1200 calories and not losing weight, and getting frustrated or insulted when people say "you're eating too much".
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    watch the video above or do the comparison yourself and you'll see exactly why.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Cause the measurements are not repeatable.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, I do a fair bit of baking and baking being a science, rather than an art, how many grams of flour, sugar, baking powder, etc should I use if the recipe calls for a cup? (Baking powder isn't bugging me that much; most recipes I make don't call for more than a teaspoon, so the calories per serving will be negligible. White and whole wheat flour and white and brown sugar are the biggies.)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, I do a fair bit of baking and baking being a science, rather than an art, how many grams of flour, sugar, baking powder, etc should I use if the recipe calls for a cup? (Baking powder isn't bugging me that much; most recipes I make don't call for more than a teaspoon, so the calories per serving will be negligible. White and whole wheat flour and white and brown sugar are the biggies.)

Or use UK recipes. Nary a cup in sight (I have one particular staple US recipe I had to go out and buy cups specifically for, they're not a staple in the UK kitchen arsenal).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Here's a way to measure appropriate portion sizes without carrying a scale everywhere:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate