Lent

Options

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    whiplashy wrote: »
    St. Patrick's day is also not included, in Ireland at least.

This depends on your bishop. It's not a free day in my diocese.
  • Elitejammer
    Elitejammer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been on low carbs for three weeks. It is difficult at times; headaches, tired, and less focus. I have less of an appetite. Please research your plan and track your progress.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Back to Lent: the idea that you "simplify" your diet by giving up meat, cheese, oil, and butter and subsisting on beans, grains, and roots is much older and more widespread than Christianity, and its a pretty universal take on the idea of self-denial. Historically, animal products, oils, and sugars were expensive and represented luxury, while carbs have always been "the staff of life."

Of course, the tradition of *lying* about what you're eating when you claim to be eating simply is also pretty old, as you can see from Apicius' cookbook from ancient Rome, which includes "vegetarian" dishes that are full of brains and/or chopped meat. And monks were known for having rich meat stews and calling them "vegetarian," too...

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    From a Catholic perspective, giving up carbs would be a problem too, because of the Eucharist. Transubstantiation, yeah, but the "accidents" stay the same, and I'm pretty sure that includes the macros.

Except that Sundays are feast days and excluded from Lenten fasts.

That's a regional tradition and depends where you grew up, I think. We never did that (and therefore it is 100% wrong in all respects!). ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    whiplashy wrote: »
    St. Patrick's day is also not included, in Ireland at least.

In Chicago we always get a dispensation from meatless Fridays if the Friday is St Patrick's Day (like this year, just checked!), but I think that's the extent of it. (Yeah, it depends on the diocese/bishop.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    From a Catholic perspective, giving up carbs would be a problem too, because of the Eucharist. Transubstantiation, yeah, but the "accidents" stay the same, and I'm pretty sure that includes the macros.

That's a regional tradition and depends where you grew up, I think. We never did that (and therefore it is 100% wrong in all respects!). ;-)

Edit: the USCCB actually weighed in on this -- I had no idea!

"Q. Why do we say that there are forty days of Lent? When you count all the days from Ash Wednesday through Holy Saturday, there are 46.

A. It might be more accurate to say that there is the "forty day fast within Lent." Historically, Lent has varied from a week to three weeks to the present configuration of 46 days. The forty day fast, however, has been more stable. The Sundays of Lent are certainly part of the Time of Lent, but they are not prescribed days of fast and abstinence.

Q. So does that mean that when we give something up for Lent, such as candy, we can have it on Sundays?

A. Apart from the prescribed days of fast and abstinence on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and the days of abstinence every Friday of Lent, Catholics have traditionally chosen additional penitential practices for the whole Time of Lent. These practices are disciplinary in nature and often more effective if they are continuous, i.e., kept on Sundays as well. That being said, such practices are not regulated by the Church, but by individual conscience."
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Accidental post, oops.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

"Q. Why do we say that there are forty days of Lent? When you count all the days from Ash Wednesday through Holy Saturday, there are 46.

A. It might be more accurate to say that there is the "forty day fast within Lent." Historically, Lent has varied from a week to three weeks to the present configuration of 46 days. The forty day fast, however, has been more stable. The Sundays of Lent are certainly part of the Time of Lent, but they are not prescribed days of fast and abstinence.

Q. So does that mean that when we give something up for Lent, such as candy, we can have it on Sundays?

A. Apart from the prescribed days of fast and abstinence on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and the days of abstinence every Friday of Lent, Catholics have traditionally chosen additional penitential practices for the whole Time of Lent. These practices are disciplinary in nature and often more effective if they are continuous, i.e., kept on Sundays as well. That being said, such practices are not regulated by the Church, but by individual conscience."

Because Christ rose from the dead on a Sunday, Sundays are considered days of celebration and you cannot simultaneously celebrate and do penance--that's part of the reason they aren't 'included' in the 40 days of Lent.

Edited to add: I am, by no means, religious any longer--just raised Catholic and remember all of the catechism stuff.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

My brother and sister in law are pretty devout Catholics. They give up alcohol (beer is all they usually drink I think) for Lent every year. Every year, they drink on Sundays during Lent. In fact, one year, my SIL decided to move her "free" day to Saturday b/c there was a wedding or event or something and wanted to be able to partake. Interestingly, we are having a family party this weekend which I have to travel to across the state. My husband said, "why are we having this party on Sunday afternoon, that's really inconvenient for those that have to drive in for it". At first I couldn't figure out why, then it dawned on me.... I think it is so my brother & SIL can drink...
    I had never heard this rule of free days on Sundays before, and thought it was just something they came up with, but I am interested that there seems to be some actual language around this which also explains the difference between the estimate of 6.5 weeks of Lent vs what I always understood to be an actual 40 days.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,997 Member
    Options
    I was raised in the Episcopal church and we always had Sundays "off" in lent. I was taught that Sundays are always feast days and you were not required to fast on a Sunday.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

My brother and sister in law are pretty devout Catholics. They give up alcohol (beer is all they usually drink I think) for Lent every year. Every year, they drink on Sundays during Lent. In fact, one year, my SIL decided to move her "free" day to Saturday b/c there was a wedding or event or something and wanted to be able to partake. Interestingly, we are having a family party this weekend which I have to travel to across the state. My husband said, "why are we having this party on Sunday afternoon, that's really inconvenient for those that have to drive in for it". At first I couldn't figure out why, then it dawned on me.... I think it is so my brother & SIL can drink...
    I had never heard this rule of free days on Sundays before, and thought it was just something they came up with, but I am interested that there seems to be some actual language around this which also explains the difference between the estimate of 6.5 weeks of Lent vs what I always understood to be an actual 40 days.

That's funny (your in-laws are from St. Louis?), since I first recall this discussion when I was in a group of other Catholics talking about what people were doing for Lent and a friend of mine from St. Louis insisted on the Sunday exception. Everyone else was like what? Is this some weird St. Louis thing? It does seem to be regional somewhat -- would be fun to compare to the pop/soda/coke chart! ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Because Christ rose from the dead on a Sunday, Sundays are considered days of celebration and you cannot simultaneously celebrate and do penance--that's part of the reason they aren't 'included' in the 40 days of Lent.

Edited to add: I am, by no means, religious any longer--just raised Catholic and remember all of the catechism stuff.

I agree that Sundays are a feast day always. But what I quoted doesn't support the idea that one's personal thing I'm giving up is off on Sunday. That's not a penance but a discipline.

Also, we still don't say the Gloria or Alleluia at mass on Sunday, which is consistent with the idea that one would not treat Sundays as an exception to the sacrifice.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You all know that OP is likely not Catholic anyway and is getting more carbs from all her eggs than in communion even if she is, right? That was just a joke/off-handed comment/yet another reason why I think the idea of giving up carbs for Lent (when one would be encouraged to go to Mass as often as possible, presumably) is odd.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

That's funny (your in-laws are from St. Louis?), since I first recall this discussion when I was in a group of other Catholics talking about what people were doing for Lent and a friend of mine from St. Louis insisted on the Sunday exception. Everyone else was like what? Is this some weird St. Louis thing? It does seem to be regional somewhat -- would be fun to compare to the pop/soda/coke chart! ;-)

Actually this is on the KC side of the state, my own brother and his wife. That's the "pop" side of the state. ;)
    I've never heard anyone here in STL who followed the Sunday exception but it wouldn't surprise me, especially if it were related to being able to drink alcohol.... we are a town filled with a high percentage of Catholics but many who don't take it as seriously and literally as they probably should (myself included).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I never knew Sundays were Get Out Of Lent Free days. My dad made us observe/follow the "rules" from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In the last decade or so, I've noticed that my parents have been allowing themselves "off the hook" for the Sundays of Lent. I honestly can't remember if we were allowed these same lax rules when we were growing up.

But they've both upped their personal restrictions for the remaining 6 days of the week. For example, my mother abstains from meat for all days except Sundays, and fully fasts on Fridays.

The parish that I've been attending for the last few years (rather sporadically really, but I've been in "Crisis of Faith" mode recently) has always emphasized giving of self, rather than giving up something. It's all well and good to refrain from eating/consuming something you love or obsess over as it can be a great way to remind ourselves that we should be thankful for all the good things in our lives. But, it can also lead to resentfulness in certain individuals who feel they are obligated to "give up" a part of their day-to-day lives. So, this parish really emphasizes the good we can do out in the world by donating our time and talents during Lent and the rest of the calendar. Which I never remember from when I was younger...but then we could have had the exact same homilies and I just never paid attention.

But after all that...the only obligations a Catholic has during Lent is Sunday mass (as usual), fasting/abstaining Ash Wednesday/Good Friday, and abstaining from meat on the other Fridays. Ash Wednesday itself is not even a holy day of obligation, nor is Good Friday since there is no mass celebrated that day. Everything else is a personal choice, and how an individual observes Lent is entirely up to them. And, the Catholic definition of fasting itself is very vague....all it means is to have 1 full meal. You can even eat other times of the day, it just can't all add up to one full meal. So, even fasting can have different meanings for each person.

The most important thing during the Lenten time is that we all take care of ourselves...those who cannot fast or abstain or give things up should not do so. And we should not jeopardize our health and happiness at any time. Common sense should always prevail.

Good luck to everyone who observes this tradition, and may you emerge from this time a better person than when you started!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I was raised in the Episcopal church and we always had Sundays "off" in lent. I was taught that Sundays are always feast days and you were not required to fast on a Sunday.
    Several sacramental Protestant denominations observe Lent -- Episcopal, Lutherans, Methodists. Like the poster above who said practice depends on the bishop, Protestant practices vary by congregation. I'm not sure if many Methodists fast during Lent, but years ago Methodist ministers fasted 2x/week all year long. Try it. What a lesson in humility!

Another cradle Episcopalian here, and we did NOT take Sunday's "off." The most obvious communal observance in my parish is "burying the alleluia's", not singing any hymns that have alleluia lyrics and omitting alleluia from prayers. Children make a big alleluia banner and literally bury it in the garden cloister on Ash Wednesday. Then they dig it up & parade around the service with it on Easter. Many abstain from foods or habits (a friend gave up credit cards for Lent, and she said it opened her eyes to what was really worth the hassle of buying and had a lasting impact making her more mindful about procuring stuff) or take on practices (prayer or service to the sick or poor). It is definitely recognized as a penitential season, but what very FEW Episcopalians actually do is avail themselves of the sacrament of reconciliation/confession. I realize introspection is hard (Mullah Nasruddin's lost key and all of that), but it can be life changing. Priests I've asked say that many priests themselves are uncomfortable with it and so don't encourage, or even offer, it.

I really feel Lent, especially the practice of reconciliation, harkens back to the Days of Awe between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur in the Jewish practice. It's about taking stock of where we may have veered off track or missed the mark and making those life course corrections to get us pointed in the right direction. You don't have to give up chocolate to do that, although giving up chocolate is a lot easier.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I recently read something that said that even Evangelicals (I would assume these would all be non-liturgical churches) are increasingly fasting for Lent, with an increase from 16% to 28% over the past couple of years. There have been some articles in Evangelical publications recently about maybe some of the baby was thrown out with the bath water in rejecting liturgical practices.

I am Lutheran, and although the penitential season is taken very seriously in the church, fasting is not mandated; it is left to the freedom of the individual conscience, and you are not to judge those who do not fast. (I grew up Methodist, and while it seemed a lot looser than the Lutheran church, it was still pretty serious and we were encouraged to give something up...but Lent seems to be a much, much bigger deal in the Lutheran church, with the imposition of ashes and regular Wednesday services, etc.).
  • mrsmeteor
    mrsmeteor Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I recently read something that said that even Evangelicals (I would assume these would all be non-liturgical churches) are increasingly fasting for Lent, with an increase from 16% to 28% over the past couple of years. There have been some articles in Evangelical publications recently about maybe some of the baby was thrown out with the bath water in rejecting liturgical practices.

I am Lutheran, and although the penitential season is taken very seriously in the church, fasting is not mandated; it is left to the freedom of the individual conscience, and you are not to judge those who do not fast. (I grew up Methodist, and while it seemed a lot looser than the Lutheran church, it was still pretty serious and we were encouraged to give something up...but Lent seems to be a much, much bigger deal in the Lutheran church, with the imposition of ashes and regular Wednesday services, etc.).

I was beginning to think I was the only Lutheran in here!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    mrsmeteor wrote: »

I was beginning to think I was the only Lutheran in here!

We peek out from time to time, Book of Concord in hand!