Heart Rate Monitors Question?

Options
My Birthday is in a week, and Im thinking about picking up a heart rate monitor with some of my extra funds. People on this site seem to be avid users so I have a few questions.

1. Are there certain ones I should look for or certain ones I should avoid??

2. How exactly do they work?? Do you need one with the chest strap or are there just wrist-only ones?

3. Do you wear them all day? Only when your working out? Whats better?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to waste my money so im hoping you guys can help.

Replies

• Chula0910
    Chula0910 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great question. I have a HRM and it ran me about 70 bucks at Target. Its by New Balance. I prefer the ones with a chest strap because I thinks its more accurate than a wrist monitor. The chest strap has sensons in it that reads your heart rate and transmits the info to a wrist unit. And I only wear mine when I work out. I don't wear it when walking the mall or cleaning house. Hope this helps some.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar. They are the best and most recommend brand. Steer clear of TImex... the calorie count is through the roof.
    I'd also stay away from Sportline.. from what I've heard, they are not very good.
    You also don't want anything too cheap.. a good price range is between like 60-200 dollars depending on what features you are looking for. The more bells and whistles an HRM has, the more money it will be.

2. How exactly do they work?? Do you need one with the chest strap or are there just wrist-only ones?
    Yes you need one with a chest strap.. esp if you want an accurate calorie count. The wrist only ones are not accurate by any means because it only gets you're heart rate when you are touching the watch. The ones with a strap, continuously feed your watch the heart rate.

No you do not wear them all day as they are not designed for that. They are only designed to track your heart rate and calorie burn when your heart rate is elevated.
    If you want one that you can wear all day you need to look into body bugg/body media fit or fit bit. Those are a bit more expensive then a normal HRM and also have a monthly subscription fee.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar. They are the best and most recommend brand. Steer clear of TImex... the calorie count is through the roof.
    I'd also stay away from Sportline.. from what I've heard, they are not very good.
    You also don't want anything too cheap.. a good price range is between like 60-200 dollars depending on what features you are looking for. The more bells and whistles an HRM has, the more money it will be.

Yes you need one with a chest strap.. esp if you want an accurate calorie count. The wrist only ones are not accurate by any means because it only gets you're heart rate when you are touching the watch. The ones with a strap, continuously feed your watch the heart rate.

No you do not wear them all day as they are not designed for that. They are only designed to track your heart rate and calorie burn when your heart rate is elevated.
    If you want one that you can wear all day you need to look into body bugg/body media fit or fit bit. Those are a bit more expensive then a normal HRM and also have a monthly subscription fee.
    Exactly what she said.
    Edit. Basically what I was going to say, so not worth repeating. Even down to the body bugg you have to pay a monthly subscription .:smile:
  • iyermanoj
    iyermanoj Posts: 5
    Options
    Take a look at epulse2 on amazon.com. I just ordered one.
  • 4WAVK
    4WAVK Posts: 14
    Options
    You can also get one with GPS.. take a look at the Garmin brand. I have a Garmin & wear the watch all day, but only wear the chest strap during workouts. I walk/jog & ride a bike, so I like to track my routes using the GPS. Oh, & the body bgg & fit bit are not HRM's, but pedometers & the fit bit does not require a subscription, but the body bugg does. Good Luck!