Not losing weight?

Options
Hi all! 5'7", 210#, Female, 55 y/o

2 days/week for 1 hour: work with a trainer doing squats, lunges, push-ups, core training, etc. (sometimes the movements are with weight, e.g. squats holding a 20# weight
1 day/week for 1 hour: play ice hockey (goal)
2-4 days/week: 30-45 minutes various cardio or cardio combined with weights (machines)

Eating approx. 1900 cals/day with approx. 85-110 g protein/day

I have a "bad" day once in awhile (like maybe 2-3 times a month)

And the scale is "stuck."

Thoughts? Advice? Should I eat less calories?

Thanks!!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? How long have you been doing these workouts? Are you logging your bad days?
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food?
    How long has it been (sometimes weight loss stalls for a few weeks)
    Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    How did you come to the calculation you should eat 1900 calories a day ?

Are you weighing all soild foods 100% and measuring all liquids 100%
    Logging absolutely every single thing you eat and drink ? All
    The little things added like sauces sugar picked at foods etc

The best way to find your intake to lose weight is a calculator for weightloss calories and find then amount that way track exercise but don't eat the exercise calories or if you want to set your calories at seditary then eat your exercise calories I'd not eat more than half as most calories are over estimated

Are you near menopause
    On medication
    Yoyoed
    Toilet habits
    Drinking water

• fretsnsoccer
    fretsnsoccer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You're not in a deficit

Definitely go into a caloric deficit daily.
  • Bubbles_Brule
    Bubbles_Brule Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
    Logging bad days - yes
    Weighing/measuring foods - yes
    Accounting for everything - even a mint! :)
    Eating exercise calories - sometimes
    Exercise plan has been for the past 1-2 years or so (had an injury for 4 mos. last year) - added personal trainer 9 weeks ago (before that was using those days for cardio or cardio/weight combo)
    Past menopause, on meds, have yoyo'd throughout life, drink lots of water, toilet habits good

Have not lost weight in months.

Suggestions for calorie intake?
  • Bubbles_Brule
    Options
    Prior to two weeks ago, I was eating 1500/day and still not losing weight.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    MFP will tell you exactly how many calories to eat. Click on Settings (top of screen next to logout) and find the link on the left to update your diet/fitness profile. I set mine to sedentary and add back exercise calories and am trying to reduce by half a pound per week and my calorie max is 1350 before exercise (my stats are 5'8", 140 pounds now -- almost to goal weight, 55 years old) so I highly suspect that you are not in deficit. To maintain, I can't eat more than 1600. If I ate 1900 at this age, I would gain.

Also, it is important to weigh everything -- preferably in grams. People tend to estimate high when they guess.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Can you give more detail on how you are "weighing/measuring food"?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
    Logging bad days - yes
    Weighing/measuring foods - yes
    Accounting for everything - even a mint! :)
    Eating exercise calories - sometimes
    Exercise plan has been for the past 1-2 years or so (had an injury for 4 mos. last year) - added personal trainer 9 weeks ago (before that was using those days for cardio or cardio/weight combo)
    Past menopause, on meds, have yoyo'd throughout life, drink lots of water, toilet habits good

Have not lost weight in months.

Suggestions for calorie intake?

How much are you going over on your 'bad' days?
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    47 F 201.5# 5ft 8"
    Post-Menopause
    Gained 40# with menopause 2 years ago and lost 10, then got stuck

I have been between 204 and 208 for last two years. Couldn't get under 204 until this week.

Joined MyFitnessPal 11 days ago. Met with two dietitians, second one helped me clean up my diet a little more and track everything I eat.
    I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and I eat pretty clean. I am balancing out my diet a little more with more protein.
    I don't eat refined sugar. I rarely eat gluten. I rarely have any dairy (causes inflammation with MS).
    I eat a ton of veggies, some fruit, lean meats and fish, and some good fats.
    I swim competitively (since October). I am now up to 4-5 days a week for 60-90 minutes. I lift weights one day a week.
    My MS is going great. I have a weakened immune system and I haven't gotten sick since I have been swimming and eating healthy.
    I have been super frustrated with not being able to lose any weight. My MRIs are clear - only old lesions - nothing new or active. I am still weak, compared to the old me (14 year break from competitive swimming), but I am setting a new baseline.
    My calorie intake is 1200 on here. It increases when I swim, but I never hit my maximum.

Losing weight is so hard. It is all in my mid-section (some in my arms).

On meds too, for migraines, depression, and MS. Cut out NSAIDs and take Tumeric, Ginger, beet juice, quinoa, and other fun stuff.

Any other suggestions?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Prior to two weeks ago, I was eating 1500/day and still not losing weight.

if you werent losing on 1500 you wont lose eating more. if you are using measuring cups for anything other than liquids stop,and use the scale in grams.you could be eating more than 1900 if you arent weighing all solids and semi solids.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    If you're having a "bad" day weekly, then how much of a bad day is it. It very easily could be offsetting any calories you're burning.

Playing goalie can't be much of a workout and doing "30 minutes of cardio combined with lifting" isn't much dedication to either the lifting or cardio. You can't do both in 30 minutes and expect it to be a sufficient workout. When you're not with your trainer (if they're any good) you're probably only burning 200-300 calories on your workout days.

Also when you're lifting, are you lifting with purpose? You shouldn't be able to talk while lifting, it should be taxing.

If you eat 1000 too many calories on your 'bad' days then you completely eliminate all your burned calories.

makes sense to me that you're not losing weight.
  • brdnw
    Options

weightloss doesn't stall for weeks. Effort may stall for weeks, but if you put in work, you won't have weeks of no weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »

weightloss doesn't stall for weeks. Effort may stall for weeks, but if you put in work, you won't have weeks of no weight loss.

weight loss isnt linear,some weeks you may not lose,some you may gain. so she may be overeating,/retaining water which can mask a stall. yes,it can stall for weeks. I was on a 6+ month long plateau,I lowered calories,exercised more,ate back less exercise calorie,ate back no exercise calories,etc.

I have a metabolic disorder but still. it can stall for weeks.I weigh EVERYTHING. I also dont have cheat meals or cheat days anymore either.it still didnt make a difference.

It took me that 6+ months to lose 1.2 lbs,then it stalled again and it took a few more months to lose 1.8lbs.
    Not saying this is her issue,but it was mine.I finally said to heck with it and eat @/close to maintenance for now to give myself a break. It took me 4 years to lose 45 lbs.
  • brdnw
    Options

weight loss isnt linear,some weeks you may not lose,some you may gain. so she may be overeating,/retaining water which can mask a stall. yes,it can stall for weeks. I was on a 6+ month long plateau,I lowered calories,exercised more,ate back less exercise calorie,ate back no exercise calories,etc.

I have a metabolic disorder but still. it can stall for weeks.I weigh EVERYTHING. I also dont have cheat meals or cheat days anymore either.it still didnt make a difference.

It took me that 6+ months to lose 1.2 lbs,then it stalled again and it took a few more months to lose 1.8lbs.
    Not saying this is her issue,but it was mine.I finally said to heck with it and eat @/close to maintenance for now to give myself a break. It took me 4 years to lose 45 lbs.

meh, it took me 7 months to lose 65lbs. It was pretty linear process with no plateauing. Firm believer it's effort that platueas.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited March 2017
    Options

meh, it took me 7 months to lose 65lbs. It was pretty linear process with no plateauing. Firm believer it's effort that platueas.

for you,maybe. its not that way for everyone. so you are saying you were losing 0.3lbs a day or 2.16 lbs a week? as for effort I was many times working out twice a day as well. you cant say its a lack of effort when people plateau or stall,when you have no clue what they have or havent done. some people out there are working their *kitten* off,weighing everything,being as precise as possible with everything and still have a hard time losing. just because it was easy for you doesnt mean it will be for everyone else out there.

The more you have to lose the faster its likely to come off as well. I had less than 75 lbs to lose and I still have 20+ to go.Its also about CICO not how much you workout or dont workout when it comes to weight loss.
  • Bubbles_Brule
    Options
    If you're having a "bad" day weekly, then how much of a bad day is it. It very easily could be offsetting any calories you're burning.

Playing goalie can't be much of a workout and doing "30 minutes of cardio combined with lifting" isn't much dedication to either the lifting or cardio. You can't do both in 30 minutes and expect it to be a sufficient workout. When you're not with your trainer (if they're any good) you're probably only burning 200-300 calories on your workout days.

Also when you're lifting, are you lifting with purpose? You shouldn't be able to talk while lifting, it should be taxing.

If you eat 1000 too many calories on your 'bad' days then you completely eliminate all your burned calories.

makes sense to me that you're not losing weight.