Why is measuring food using cups so inaccurate?

Options

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, I do a fair bit of baking and baking being a science, rather than an art, how many grams of flour, sugar, baking powder, etc should I use if the recipe calls for a cup? (Baking powder isn't bugging me that much; most recipes I make don't call for more than a teaspoon, so the calories per serving will be negligible. White and whole wheat flour and white and brown sugar are the biggies.)

This is the site I have bookmarked for baking conversions. It has the most comprehensive conversion list I have found yet.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Ok. So, I do a fair bit of baking and baking being a science, rather than an art, how many grams of flour, sugar, baking powder, etc should I use if the recipe calls for a cup? (Baking powder isn't bugging me that much; most recipes I make don't call for more than a teaspoon, so the calories per serving will be negligible. White and whole wheat flour and white and brown sugar are the biggies.)

This is the site I have bookmarked for baking conversions. It has the most comprehensive conversion list I have found yet.

Bookmarked for future reference! :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,103 Member
    Options
    You know how people say to always weigh their food instead of using measuring cups to judge how much you're eating? Well I was wondering why measuring cups are so inaccurate. Like it makes sense that using a measuring cup to measure out 1 cup of flour could cause some discrepancy depending on how much the flour is packed down.

But what about foods that aren't so easily smushed such as cereal? Or others food like that. Is using a measuring cup that inaccurate? Do I really need a food scale to weigh out how much cereal I'm eating?

Two words, "Air space". It will vary from cup to cup for a variety of reasons when measuring solids. When you use a scale, it is not an issue. You can spread out the food, pack it together and everything in between and the weight will be the same. An honestly, once you get the hang of it, it is far easier than measuring cups and spoons.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

baking being a science is the reason that most of the "science of baking" cookbooks that I own strongly encourage getting a scale and using it. One book I bought in the 90s tried to make up for US cooks not having scales by specifying that *their* recipes require that you tightly pack flour into cups just like you do brown sugar. Most of the other ones just say "dude, get a scale if you want to bake all these great european pastries successfully."
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

If you get European recipes, all these quantities will be specified by weight. So go across the pond for your ideas and you won't have to guess about converting.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I weighed out steamed vegetables (from a bag) and their "1 cup" barely made a 1 cup measuring cup just over half full. That was... 2 days ago? Some things are just so wildly inaccurate you'd be eating almost twice what you should.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Exactly. After being freaked out by the MFP community about not owning a scale I bought one and I didn't find the cups to be innacurate at all! However, I also didn't shove and stuff as much food when i used measuring cups
    jemhh wrote: »
    It is usually inaccurate because people jam a lot into a measuring cup. Think of packed brown sugar vs. brown sugar spooned into a cup, only just reaching the top of it. Most labels give you the nutrition info for a quantity of food similar to the loosely spooned brown sugar. Most people like to jam as much as possible into the cup, sometimes even spilling over the side and certainly heaped up top.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Weighing food can actually be incredibly beneficial.

Example:

Recently i had been opting to buy store made bread because it's 50% cheaper then buying brand names like bens.

I bought a package of whole wheat whole grain bread and the nutritional information said for 2 slices (45g) was 150 calories.
    Upon placing 1 slice of bread on the scale, which was not even from the middle of the bag the weight of 1 slice of bread came to 43g
    A few thoughts came to mind.. Either the store made a typo in the grams weight and it should of read "90g" for 2 slices or the store made a typo and the package should say 1 slice (45g) is 150 calories.
    When i contacted the grocery stores head office, they later confirmed that the bread was 150 calories for 1 slice not 2.

If i had not weighed this bread i would of been eating 150 unknown calories simply by believing the package saying 2 slices. with a 250 calorie deficit.. 150 calories pretty much wipes it away... instead of losing 2 pounds a month i would of only been losing a little over half a pound per month a stall in loss like that could result in a lot of people getting frustrated and quitting..

I've had this exact same experience too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    vaman wrote: »
    Cups are great for liquid measure, but inaccurate for most dry goods. The density varies so greatly in many products. A cup of flour will increase in weight on a humid day and decrease on a dry day. Commercial bakeries always use the weight of dry ingredients when preparing a mixture.

I even weigh my liquids, because who has time for extra dishes?
  • amusedmonkey
    edited March 2017
    Options

The USDA lists a cup of whole wheat flour at 120 grams, all-purpose white flour at 120 grams and granulated white sugar at 200 grams, but you could just look at the labels of specific brands where weight is often listed along with the serving size (at least on our labels).

ETA: brown sugar is listed at 145 grams per cup unpacked and 220 packed.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

Bookmarked for future reference! :)

I also like this butter convertor site!

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/butter_converter.html

So handy, measuring a cup of butter is silly and messy.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Cups are great for liquid measure, but inaccurate for most dry goods. The density varies so greatly in many products. A cup of flour will increase in weight on a humid day and decrease on a dry day. Commercial bakeries always use the weight of dry ingredients when preparing a mixture.

I've been told by chefs at my college that liquids should always be weighed because it's more accurate than using a measuring jug and most liquids have a density near one, meaning their weight in grams is equal to their volume in ml. Notable exceptions are oil, hard spirits and sugar syrup - don't weigh those unless you are up for doing some maths.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I've been told by chefs at my college that liquids should always be weighed because it's more accurate than using a measuring jug and most liquids have a density near one, meaning their weight in grams is equal to their volume in ml. Notable exceptions are oil, hard spirits and sugar syrup - don't weigh those unless you are up for doing some maths.

I use gram entries, so no maths necessary!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Or use UK recipes. Nary a cup in sight (I have one particular staple US recipe I had to go out and buy cups specifically for, they're not a staple in the UK kitchen arsenal).

Even though I've been living in the US for ten years, I still don't trust cups as a unit of measurement. Thankfully the majority of my recipe books are ones I brought over from the UK. Admittedly some of them are so ancient the measurements are in lbs rather than grams, and the oven temps are F rather than C, which led to some extremely pasty looking Cornish pasties and a Christmas cake that took nearly an entire day to cook.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You don't have to weigh your food or use measuring cups at all to lose weight... unless you have trouble getting your portion sizes right and losing weight at the rate you want that is.
    A scale is the more accurate tool because you can pack different amounts of food into a cup differently depending on its shape. 50 g of cheese will always be 50 g of cheese no matter if it is sliced, cubed, or shredded.
    It is easier to weigh many foods like meat, cheese, yogurt, pasta, peanut butter, vegetables IMO than use measuring cups or spoons.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Many times I've measured things out by cups and the food in the package never matched the servings on the label. Weighing it came closer, or at times over, the actual serving amounts. More servings per package at the right calorie amount. I'm thrifty like that sometimes.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    And lets not forget that not all dry measuring cups are created equal. I had two sets of them. One was a cheapo plastic set from my college days, the other a metal set from a professional baking supply company. Even before I got a food scale, it was obvious that 1 c. was not the same between the two sets and which set was more accurate based on baking results.

I ended up re-purposing the plastic ones as scoops. I'll still measure with the metal ones occasionally - they're plenty accurate for good baking results with flour, sugar, etc. Never more than a couple of grams off when I do a double check.