Looking for heathy lunch ideas that don't require a fridge

Long subject title I no. But I work in a small barber shop. All alone. So leaving isn't really an option. I'd like the bring a lunch but I don't have access to a fridge. And I can't think of much besides dole fruit cups and pb&j sandwiches. Ideas of food that don't require ice packs or refrigerating are aprecheated. I have limited space so i just like to keep my food in my purse.

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I keep a stash of flavored tuna pouches in my desk drawer for those days I can't step away. Also pork rinds, beef/venison jerky, protein bars and fruit.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Tuna/salmon packets, jerky, dried fruit, protein bars, nuts/seeds, granola, rice cakes, peanut butter, pb and j sandwiches/wraps, avocados, apples, oranges, tangerines, bananas,
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Bring your lunch with ice packs, then you can bring whatever you want.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    You can bring hot foods, like stews or soups, in a thermos.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I bring a salad every day and am too lazy to fridge it. It's got greens, carrots, cheese, hard boiled egg, dressing... I also have sliced bell peppers with cheese, fruit, baby carrots... I refrigerate nothing. And nothing goes bad. And I don't get sick. And it all tastes great at lunchtime. :)

Disclaimer: I work in a special needs preschool room, so my standards for healthy things might be lower than the average bear.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Do you have a microwave?

I bring sunrice or uncle bens single rice packets/bowls + tins of chicken + frozen steamfresh veggies + a single serve yogurt.

The rice and chicken stay in my drawer at work and I bring the veggies and yogurt each morning. The veggies help keep my yogurt cold. :)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited March 2017
    dfwesq wrote: »
    You can bring hot foods, like stews or soups, in a thermos.

Along these same lines, look at vacuum insulated bento boxes like a Mr. Bento. It has three separate containers so that you can bring both hot and cold items with you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I bring yogurts wrapped in napkins and put in a ziplock bag with a spoon. They can easily keep for half a day or longer.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    I'm field based so completely understand this, my car is my lunch room!

https://www.packit.com sell a great range of lunch bags with built in ice packs, you freeze them overnight and then they chill all day, and they do work. I take things like yogurts in the middle of summer and they are still cold by lunchtime. So with this you can take pretty much anything, salads, pasta, sandwiches, etc.

Thermos also do a range of bowls rather than just flasks, so you can pack stews, soups, curries, whatever leftovers you have from the night before.