Avoiding Binges

Options
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping binges at bay.

Replies

• MaddieRainbowHealth
    MaddieRainbowHealth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @Cialgle Ah, okay, I'll try that! Thanks for the suggestions! Do you have any tips for when a craving to binge hits suddenly? I typically will have a harder time stopping a binge at night...
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have to just not buy it in the first place. If bad food is in the house I will eat the entire pack so I make sure not to buy it in the first place. Also, drinking water helps me feel full between meals.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @kommodevaran Very good and practical advice there! Thanks. It's definitely easy to use food as a distraction from other feelings, but it's important to fight the urge and examine why it's there to begin with. And obviously, if you enjoy the food you eat, that probably helps as well.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    ...Try to keep protein consumption at the MFP suggested levels (around 1 gram per pound)...

The "official" MFP protein recommendation is simply that 20% of your calories should come from protein. But you can make adjustments. The RDA for protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. Don't forget to convert your weight into kilograms if you use that recommendation. The RDA is probably fine if you're sedentary, but it's a little low for me, IMO... Many fitness/nutrition "experts" suggest 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass, not per pound of total mass. You probably don't need that much if you aren't weight training or athletic. You need to know your body fat % in order to calculate your lean mass to figure out your protein needs if you go by that recommendation.

I agree with the advice of making sure you are getting adequate protein and fiber. :)
  • FruityFridays
    FruityFridays Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't let yourself get really hungry..if I miss lunch or don't eat dinner till too late I will binge. It's like my body goes mental and wants all the fat and sugar. I've started carrying fruit and cereal bars with me, in case I'm busy and can't stick to a certain meal.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    BeChill73 wrote: »
    I have to just not buy it in the first place. If bad food is in the house I will eat the entire pack so I make sure not to buy it in the first place. Also, drinking water helps me feel full between meals.

I do this, and it works great most of the time.

The problem is when I stay at my parents' place. I sometimes rent out my flat on airbnb when they are away, and stay there. Their house have lots and lots of food and always some candy/snacks available. Practically every time I end up binging and hate myself for the next few days. It's like I go into 'vacation mode' when I am there :(
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @HM2206 I know what you mean. I currently live with my parents, and they control what groceries come into the house, so it's a constant battle of temptation and not giving in for me too.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    Options
    @FruityFridays Good practical idea there! I do think that sometimes it's easy to let yourself get hungrier than you realize, so carrying around healthy snacks is a really good tool that I can use to combat those pesky binging urges! Thanks!
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    ...Try to keep protein consumption at the MFP suggested levels (around 1 gram per pound)...

The "official" MFP protein recommendation is simply that 20% of your calories should come from protein. But you can make adjustments. The RDA for protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. Don't forget to convert your weight into kilograms if you use that recommendation. The RDA is probably fine if you're sedentary, but it's a little low for me, IMO... Many fitness/nutrition "experts" suggest 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass, not per pound of total mass. You probably don't need that much if you aren't weight training or athletic. You need to know your body fat % in order to calculate your lean mass to figure out your protein needs if you go by that recommendation.

I agree with the advice of making sure you are getting adequate protein and fiber. :)

Sorry my mistake in the grams per pound, I should state "by kilogram", thanks for noticing.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    @Cialgle Ah, okay, I'll try that! Thanks for the suggestions! Do you have any tips for when a craving to binge hits suddenly? I typically will have a harder time stopping a binge at night...

Difficult question, I can provide my advise regarding how to reduce the frequency on craving. But once the fact is evident ... is hard ... in my case I split. Sometimes I surrender, sometimes the craving surrended :wink:

It's always a question of balance.

PD: please see in my first reply I made a mistake, when it reads:
    Try to keep protein consumption at the MFP suggested levels (around 1 gram per pound)
    Should read
    Try to keep protein consumption at the MFP suggested levels (around 1 gram per KILO)
  • Leverfam
    Leverfam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that helps me is following a 'clean eating' diet. before I consume anything I read the ingredient list and nutritional facts and if there are things I can't pronounce or tons of calories/fat/sodium ... I just won't eat it! But that said always keep acceptable snacks with you ... this helps control what I feed my body. Good luck
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    Options
    @sunfastrose I think that's a good point! Eating healthy is good, but we also don't want to deprive ourselves of so-called "unhealthy" food to the point where it actually increases our desires to binge. It's a balance.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with binges pretty much since I hit puberty, and 15 years on I'm finally starting to get help with it.

The most important thing is to work out why you binge, because there can be a multitude of reasons. Keep a food diary - not just for calories, but note down how you feel at the time, and you'll start to notice trends.

If you find you binge because you've let yourself get too hungry, then plan regular meal times. If it's because you're bored, look at the trigger - often sitting in front of the TV can lead to mindless eating, so call a friend, or pamper yourself for a bit (face mask, paint nails, etc), go for a walk, even do some housework!
    If you eat it just because it's there, then make sure it's not in the house.

If you do fall off the wagon, don't hate or be horrible to yourself. Take the motto of if you wouldn't say it to your friend, don't say it to yourself. People with binge eating problems often suffer with low self esteem and we can be our own worst enemies.

Lastly, if you do really struggle, get some help. It's not so taboo any more and I'd starting to become more understood. Don't be ashamed to go to your doctor. Good luck.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    Options
    @lauren3101 Thanks for the tips! I have struggled with food issues in the past, but I'm doing much better now.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping binges at bay.

Stop the restriction cycle and the binge cycles tend to go away.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Hello_its_Dan Thanks, that's a good tip there. I actually don't restrict, so no worries there. For me, binging typically hits late at night, and I'm currently dealing with a very stressful situation, in which I don't have a lot of control. So I don't struggle with the urge to binge every day, just typically when I'm stressed.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    @Hello_its_Dan Thanks, that's a good tip there. I actually don't restrict, so no worries there. For me, binging typically hits late at night, and I'm currently dealing with a very stressful situation, in which I don't have a lot of control. So I don't struggle with the urge to binge every day, just typically when I'm stressed.

You know the cause of your binges and when they are likely to hit, so you can work to avoid them.

1) reduce the stresses that cause the binges
    2)If Option 1 is not realistic, then figure out other coping mechanisms
    3) Remove all "binge" food and stock up on zero calorie drinks and snacks.