Is it safe to do this while pregnant?

Options
2»

Replies

• BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stop taking advice from random internet people who do not know your medical history, and instead talk to a dietician/nutritionist who can advise you best practice for YOUR pregnancy.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    BeChill73 wrote: »
    My advice is to stop taking advice from random internet people who do not know your medical history, and instead talk to a dietician/nutritionist who can advise you best practice for YOUR pregnancy.
    Eh, no point shaming her for asking opinions....

She's also already said she's waiting to speak to her midwife.

The whole thread is her prcessing information and thinking through things prior to meeting with the midwife.
  • ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest eating no less than maintenance and focus on getting balanced nutrition and enough activity. You may find you lose a little in the first trimester or two (I did), and as long as you don't lose too much too rapidly from calorie restriction, it's pretty normal. Gaining weight is necessary, but as long as you are not using pregnancy as a license to eat everything in sight, it shouldn't come off too hard after the baby is born. If you choose to breastfeed, you get the added built in deficit from milk production which makes it even easier. Definitely get a second opinion though, as suggesting that losing weight intentionally during pregnancy is personal preference, is generally not accepted as safe or healthy unless under doctor supervision.
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My baby is 9,5 months old and i recall my pregnancy well. In the first trimester you absolutely don't need any extra calories (not 300 and not 500). I have even lost weight in the first 3 months because of being nauseous all the time. The extra caloric intake recommended during the pregnancy for an overweight person is about 200 calories max. and it starts in the second - third trimester. Just listen to your body, try to reduce sweets and sugar.
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    BeChill73 wrote: »
    Eh, no point shaming her for asking opinions....

She's also already said she's waiting to speak to her midwife.

The whole thread is her prcessing information and thinking through things prior to meeting with the midwife.

Sorry that wasn't meant to look like shaming... apologies to the OP if I came across too blunt. I was trying to make the point that the internet is not the safest place to get medical advice, especially given the OP's concerns with previous miscarriage and the amount of conflicting (and potentially unsafe) advice already in the replies.
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I would say seek the advice of another doctor.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Not pregnant and no plans to be, but we are the same age and both in the UK - I will say that doctors sometimes give absolutely *kitten* advice and sometimes you feel a bit trapped, especially if you see a small practice. One refused to prescribe me an inhaler for asthma and said getting rid of a pet would help. The next doctor I saw gave me the inhalers - lucky cos I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to dust and pollen too. First doctor's advice could've landed me back in hospital.

All I did was ask not to see Dr X and see another doctor instead. If you have to be pushy with the reception so be it.

Until then... eat at maintenance. Probably the safest thing to do in the interim.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Felicitations :smile: My wife had gestational diabetes and in order to control it, she went on a diet to keep her blood sugar in a healthy range (no insulin). Our baby was born in full health and a perfect weight and my wife had actually lost weight during her pregnancy. But she frequently attended an Obstetrician who encouraged her to diet and exercise mostly walking. So follow the advice of your G.P.and Dietitian.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Just want to point out, I'm from the uk and my local practice… we can't pick and chose our doctors, we get who's available at that time

I will however be speaking to my midwife army first appointment for her advice also, I'm not just relying on the doctor who said that

I'm honestly just looking for a little advice from someone what has possibly been in a similar situation :) x

I am from the UK and you can request a 2nd opinion. Use the PALS service. I've used it myself in the past to change doctors without much issue. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1082.aspx?CategoryID=68
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks and months of pregnancy you really don't have to eat up to 500 calories more...the fetus is the size of a peanut at the beginning of month 4 and isn't that much of a "system load" in terms of your need for fuel.

I don't know how to answer your overall weight loss questions, though, and yes get more detailed medical advice.
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't diet during your pregnancy. Don't go overboard either, just eat at maintenance and enjoy a wide range of healthy food for your growing child.

It's only nine months. Forget about weight loss for a while and focus on the baby :)