No Weight Loss After A Month

Options
Hello. Please help! I am 43 and trying to lose 30 lbs. Been working out 4 days a week for atleast an hour doing 30 min cardio keeping my heart rate up and then 30 min of strength training. I used to work out a few years ago and never had an issue losing weight. I keep my calories at 800 to the recommended 1200 and stay within all my allowable fat and sugar intakes. After a month I have not lost a single pound. What in the world am I doing wrong??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would give it time and stay committed to the positive choices you are already making.
    One small suggestion would be to do your lifts first followed by your cardio. Also mix up your cardio-- try high intensity interval training ... walk past that same piece of equipment (cardio) and try another machine - the variation at the very least will help mentally
  • flukequeen
    flukequeen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all yoir feedback. I log in EVERYTHING on MFP, scanning in foods and measure out how much I eat. So if I eat 800 calories a day , I burn 215 on the treadmill and then do strength training too, could I not br losing cause I'm not eating enough?
  • flukequeen
    Options
    Is there any info or guidlines for weighing food? I have no idea how much food to weigh out. I just go by servings on labels and cut it in half.
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go for a long while without losing any weight, which is really annoying - but it does come off in the end.

If you have just started this working out, your body will be going through a few adjustments so it might be a while before it shows on the scales.

Keep going and be really honest with yourself about what you are eating. You are sure to see the results soon!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think because if you were truly eating that little then weight loss would follow. (its never healthy or wise to eat less than a minimum of 1200 calories)
    Plus while exercising is good it wont help us lose if we eat more than we burn. Time to look more closer at your intake and see what's what.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Read through some of the stickied posts. Particularly this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    flukequeen wrote: »
    Thank you for all yoir feedback. I log in EVERYTHING on MFP, scanning in foods and measure out how much I eat. So if I eat 800 calories a day , I burn 215 on the treadmill and then do strength training too, could I not br losing cause I'm not eating enough?

If that was accurate you'd be eating 585 calories a day after factoring in the exercise. You'd be not only SUPER dangerously low, but you'd be losing weight like crazy. Luckily, you must be counting wrong. I say "luckily" because you need to get that recommended 1200 calories everyday. With exercise, you should eat a bit more.

I know it's tempting to want to lose weight quickly, but not only is it dangerous (your gull bladder could fail, among other health risks), it's also going to give you more negative results. Sagging skin is a big one.

Slow and steady... And you would probably benefit from a food scale. Stick to the 1200.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Is there any info or guidlines for weighing food? I have no idea how much food to weigh out. I just go by servings on labels and cut it in half.

First and foremost, a goal to consume 800 calories is not safe. Ever. That being said, you're likely eating above that extremely low calorie goal. You need to adjust your goal to at least 1200. Go through MFP's guided setup to determine your calories based on your goal. A goal of 2 lbs is very realistic and safe.

Food labels have recommended serving sizes in grams, ounces, cups, tbsp, tsp, etc. and you'll typically weigh food after it's been cooked, especially meat. So, get a food scale. They typically measure in grams and ounces; make sure you get one that measures in grams. Ounces is a bonus and can make weighing meat easier, but not necessary.

If the foods you're eating is labeled in measurements such as cups, half cups, tbsp, tsp, etc., then get yourself a good set of measuring cups and spoons. (As others have mentioned, it's best to measure food with a scale rather than cups and spoons.)

As for raw fruits, veggies, and meats, http://nutritiondata.self.com/ is a great place to find the nutrition info. There's even an app called Nutrition Lookup by SparkPeople that is super helpful. When looking up raw food data, it's best to try to find the info based on grams or ounces instead of something that says 1 large apple,1 large tomato, etc.

(Edited because I hit enter prematurely)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is there any info or guidlines for weighing food?
    A: Turn on scale, put bowl on scale, tare, put your portion in bowl, log the number.
    B: Turn on scale, put food on scale, tare, remove your portion, use the negative number.
    I have no idea how much food to weigh out. I just go by servings on labels and cut it in half.
    You weigh out foods and log it using correct database entries and try to hit your calorie goal (which is a least 1200).
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    enbi264muibr.jpg

I like this chart
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    mlsh1969 wrote: »
    enbi264muibr.jpg

I like this chart

that's good! cause you're going to be seeing a lot of it if you stick around the forums. it really is the most concise way to trouble shoot general questions.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

If that was accurate you'd be eating 585 calories a day after factoring in the exercise. You'd be not only SUPER dangerously low, but you'd be losing weight like crazy. Luckily, you must be counting wrong.

That^^. Exactly that.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    See this label, @flukequeen? See where it says "1 bar (60 grams)"? A serving equals 60 grams. So, whatever food you are weighing, weigh it in grams to the serving size. (Only food I had in my office. Not the best example, but hope it helps.)

dh49s2l1kisk.jpg
  • flukequeen
    Options
    Can't thank you all enough for all the helpul feedback! Already started logging in the weight of my food vs. Portion size. In doing this I found that I am meeting my recommended goal of 1200 calories but with my excersize am below that, totaling still at abt 800 calories a day. Should I be eating more to finish my day at the 1200 or is this ok??