New vegetarian

Options
downa100
downa100 Posts: 184 Member
Switched to vegetarian due to health issues. Need all the support I can get since all my choices seem to be packed with carbs. Please help

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You will have greater chance of success if you choose between vegetarian and low carb diet, because plant foods are indeed "packed with carbs". Or maybe you don't have to choose any of them. Vegetarianism is an ethical choice, and low carb is effective to regulate appetite for some people, but not for everybody. What health issues are you having? I would advice addressing those, and not arbritrarily pick a diet, and certainly no try to combine two diets that are opposites. Every unnecessary restriction makes a diet exponentially harder, quite unnecessarily, and decreases willingness to adhere, which decreases chance of success.
  • downa100
    Options
    You will have greater chance of success if you choose between vegetarian and low carb diet, because plant foods are indeed "packed with carbs". Or maybe you don't have to choose any of them. Vegetarianism is an ethical choice, and low carb is effective to regulate appetite for some people, but not for everybody. What health issues are you having? I would advice addressing those, and not arbritrarily pick a diet, and certainly no try to combine two diets that are opposites. Every unnecessary restriction makes a diet exponentially harder, quite unnecessarily, and decreases willingness to adhere, which decreases chance of success.

I have intestinal issues. Did all kinds of tests and you name it they didn't reach to any diagnosis. Last thing doctor said was try to stop all kinds of meat and see what happens. A week after stopping my intestinal issues started getting better and now completely gone.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Seems like not eating meat is helpful for you. Stick to that, but also try to figure out what it is with meat that is causing you issues. Maybe you can't eat meat, or maybe you should cut out some kinds of meat but not others, maybe it's the preparation, or that you're eating too much at once, or too fast, when you eat meat, or what you eat instead, or any other possibility that makes more sense. At any rate, don't cut carbs too for no good reason. And make sure you get in enough fat and protein too. Can you eat fish and other seafood? Dairy? Eggs? Nuts? Beans?
  • downa100
    Options
    Seems like not eating meat is helpful for you. Stick to that, but also try to figure out what it is with meat that is causing you issues. Maybe you can't eat meat, or maybe you should cut out some kinds of meat but not others, maybe it's the preparation, or that you're eating too much at once, or too fast, when you eat meat, or what you eat instead, or any other possibility that makes more sense. At any rate, don't cut carbs too for no good reason. And make sure you get in enough fat and protein too. Can you eat fish and other seafood? Dairy? Eggs? Nuts? Beans?

Yes I eat eggs, dairy, nuts, beans, not sea food cause I don't like it.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    First of all, good on your doctor for suggesting a dietary change before throwing drugs at you. I quit eating meat 9 years ago mainly for ethical reasons. But soon learned that all the stomach issues I used to have weren't normal. I feel so much better, no more issues. I still eat dairy and eggs. Since you are new to not eating meat, I suggest that you try to make your normal foods vegetarian. You can add meat substitutes and beans in place of meat at least until you get used to it and then experiment with new foods/recipes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    downa100 wrote: »
    Switched to vegetarian due to health issues. Need all the support I can get since all my choices seem to be packed with carbs. Please help

Carbs are fine...most vegetarians eat higher carb diets.