Weather and 5K tomorrow..WWYD

Options
I am registered to run a 5K tomorrow morning. I have been running outside all through the winter, regularly running in about 20 degree weather with little or no wind.

The weather report for tomorrow at race time is in the high teens, with 25 MPH winds, making it "feel like" around 0 or negative a few degrees. I haven't trained in this at all.

My inclination is to get my cold gear on and give it a go, but all day today I keep hearing "you aren't going tomorrow, right..." or "did they cancel your race yet" from those around me. They seem way more concerned than I am, so I'm second guessing my decision.

Am I creating a disaster for myself if I give it a go?

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Do it! Seriously, what's the worst that will happen? I row crew and two years ago we went out on New Year's Day. The wind chill was -6 and it was the best time ever. Of course the brunch afterwards helped. :) I say do it. Get some bragging rights!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I say try it...BUT if you need to bail because of the weather, do it. You won't regret giving it a try. Have fun and good luck!
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Are those questioning you runners as well?? If so take into consideration their concern; if they're not then I can see how they're questioning the run (not looking at it from a runners stand point). But like you said you've been training for it. Go for it, listen to your body and you might even surprise yourself on what you can handle :) Good luck!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    For sure do it, I highly doubt you will regret it.
  • RudeboyCantFail
    RudeboyCantFail Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do it! And if that wind is at your back you might set a PR!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I would do it!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You've trained for it, so get that cold-weather gear on, and get yourself out there and do it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    5K? So somewhere between 25-45 minutes? Do it!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Ice would be the only thing that would stop me.

Just pt on plenty thin layers that you can peel off as you go.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Of course do it. You won't have to be out for more than a half hour, and you can take a hot shower and put fresh clothes on afterwards.

Running will keep you warm. Don't get really warm clothes because you'll overheat and stew in your own sweat. Much better to drink a hot coffee or tea right before, it'll keep you warm for a few minutes until the running takes that job over.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    From having lived in very cold areas before I got tired of the winters, I would say that you might need a scarf to warm the air slightly before inhaling it. Frostbite, or at least extreme discomfort, of the lungs is a real thing. Check with some fellow cold air runners on this one.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I have been running outside all through the winter, regularly running in about 20 degree weather with little or no wind."

Why would I have been running all winter outside if not to prepare for this? What, in reality, is the worse that the could happen, you don't PB?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    its way better then the minus 20 here! GO! HAVE FUN
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Okay that's a little freakin' cold. But I do 5ks and never train for them so really any weather is probably new to me - but I've done them in 90 degrees, in the rain, and last weekend was darn cold (and wet and windy) but not nearly as cold as where you are. Actually I ran my best time ever last weekend - probably because it was so cold I wanted to be done and warm! LOL!

And as mentioned above - be careful how warm you dress. I was surprised to see people in huge puffy coats - and one was WAY ahead of me. I was sweating on my torso and almost overly warm but my booty was freezing. I had to strip off my gloves because my hands were so warm and glad I didn't wear a hat (but again - not nearly as cold as where you are).

I am doing a 5k tomorrow too - the weather is supposed to suck - RAIN RAIN RAIN and will be chilly. Yay. I am so ready for summer!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Do it. Dress warm, especially if it is windy. DD & I did a 5k Thanksgiving Day 2015 that was -18 F with 8" of new snow the day before. It was great DD got a PR, I finished LOL.
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My advice is coming from someone that does not run outside, so take it for what it is:
    I think you should go.

if you will be able to finish, it will be great and you will feel very accomplished.
    if it will be really unconfortable, you can just stop running and get out of the trail, no?

good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jenno369 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks everyone! I'm going to do it (and an even more excited after all of the encouragement)! As some of you pointed out, only one person today is an actual runner. She was concerned about the potential impact on my lungs. The route involves two laps around a park, and my car will be parked there, so I can always bail, but I'm even more determined now! Thanks again all!

I'd probably wear a balaclava or something...the lung thing could be an issue.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I ran a 5k in 18 degrees once. I raced in record time just because I was trying to warm myself up and get to the finish line faster - LOL! I wore layers that I could peel off but ended up wearing all of them the entire race. Mittens instead of gloves help keep the hands warmer.