not loosing weight - only 5 lbs since first of january

Options
Any suggestions?

stick tight to my 1200 calories.
exercise at least 4 days a week - lots of up hill hiking - 1 to 2 hrs at a time.
take thyroid medicine - had check-up in february.

anyone who has something new I can try PLEASE share.

thank you in advance.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First and foremost, I would encourage you to discuss your goals and how to reach them more in depth with your doctor, or a nutritionist they recommend, as it sounds like you have some thyroid issues?

In the meantime, I encourage you to take a look at this thread about accurately logging, it also has lots of great tips that will make logging easier in general for you. Inaccurate logging is oftentimes the root of the "it's not working" problem, but it does sound like you have a different situation going than the average joe:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think your eating too low tbh
    1200 is lowest we can eat and if your exercising you maybe burning too many calories so your body's in shock
    Are you weighing all your foods on a food scales ?
    And measuring liquids in a jug ?
    Logging absolutely every single thing you eat and drink all sauces sugar picked items ?

Have you measured yourself ? Inches can be lost but scales sts
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    First there is no such thing as eating too few calories to lose weight. There is such a thing as eating too few calories to get the nutrients you need to be healthy but even that will not prevent you from losing weight. If you are not losing weight there are only 2 possible causes:
    1. You are retaining water If this is the case you will see it correct itself fairly soon. Sometimes your body attempt to hold onto water to compensate for muscle growth or hormonal imbalances. Both of these can cause a temporary plateau (days not weeks)
    2. You are not logging your calories or your exercise correctly. People underestimate their calories by 50% on average and over estimate their exercise calories burned by about the same amount. Are you weighing everything? Yes everything. If you eat things that you do not know the exact weight and calories for by gram then you set yourself up for under estimating your calories. Weigh everything, don't cheat but if you do weigh and count that too. Cut whatever calories you think you burn through exercise in half. Machines are horribly inaccurate and walking for one person might burn 15 calories and the same walk might burn 30 for someone else. In all things error on the side of caution.

Now I know it seems unfair that one person can eat fast food day after day and not gain a pound and another can eat salads and gain 10 but we are all different. Your body needs a different quantity of calories to fuel it than the next person does. Hormones and medical conditions can make it so that you need fewer calories to function and thus put on weight when another person would not. They also can make it harder to resist temptation. These things are just part of what make you, you. None of us became overweight without experiencing challenges that we let win and none of us will lose weight without finding a way to fight our own challenges. Try to focus on running your own race.
  • burngirl21
    burngirl21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above, particularly working with your doctor and a nutritionist to make a plan. But I will say that I went through a similarly strange period of a couple of years where I exercised consistently, thought I was maintaining a calorie deficit, and even saw a personal trainer for a year with little change despite all of these efforts. Also spoke to my doctor and saw a nutritionist, and they couldn't make sense of it, as I was apparently quite healthy and no thyroid issues etc. I was so frustrated, considering the amount of time and effort I was spending on trying to lose weight. What finally worked for me was completely changing my diet - in the sense of cutting out wheat/dairy/sugar, or (more moderately these days) eating a lower carb diet. 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs. I'm making slow progress, but it's been consistent, and my digestive system is much much happier.