Lost 75lbs and only dropped 1 dress size????

Options
I am very pleased with the fact that I have lost 75lbs, however.... how can I have only gone down 1 dress size?! I started at 275 and a size 18 - I am now 200 and a size 16-16W. what gives? as I get below 200 I am either going to 1) drop dress sizes very quickly, or 2) be 140lbs wearing a size 14?!
has anyone been in the same boat as this?

Replies

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think this is where brands/sizing from different companies come into play. One brands 14 might be another's 16 or 18. Also, it matters where you lost that 75 lbs from... for example I lose from my bust the most at first, then stomach, then hips finally. My hips are what keeps me in a higher size...

I agree. My hips keep me "bigger". When I was at 175 I was mostly in a US 14 but some 16s. Now at around 150 I am in a comfortable 10 and some 8s. I even still wear some of my 12s and 14s even though they are a bit big.
  • kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think they're making clothes smaller (and as she said it might be a manufacturer issue as well). I went looking for a new coat at the beginning of winter...the one I'm still wearing is a 1X. It actually fits fairly well, just can't button the bottom button because of where all my weight is. The coats I tried on this time were 3X to find one that fit. It was ridiculous! I didn't buy one - I'm still using the other! If it makes you feel any better, I'm 224 and had to buy size 22 jeans! My weight is almost all saddlebags and behind - makes clothes shopping very difficult and frustrating. Hoping that won't last much longer!
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was always told that a 10lbs loss would equal about 1 dress size... I knew being as heavy as I was that probably wouldn't be the case, but I never thought it would take 75lbs per dress size lol
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep. I am right there with ya. It sucks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I was always told that a 10lbs loss would equal about 1 dress size... I knew being as heavy as I was that probably wouldn't be the case, but I never thought it would take 75lbs per dress size lol

its not going to be the same for everyone. took me almost 20 lbs to lose a size,for some it may be 30.I lost 44lbs so far and have went down from a sz 18 to a an 6/8. It does depend on where you lose it from too.clothing now in the us are more like vanity sizes. I can wear some 6s,in other things I wear an 8 or 10.

The difference I think for me is I lifted weights when I started losing.Im actually a size smaller than I was at a lower weight in the past. But go to different stores and try on different sizes. you will see a BIG difference in sizes when it comes to different stores.
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that when you look at the differences in sizing in larger sizes (18+) they have a larger variance between sizes than smaller sizing (i.e. there's more inches between 16 and 18 than you can expect between an 8 and a 10). The smaller you get, it shouldn't take as many pounds to drop sizes.

It also depends on where you lost the weight. I am in size 10s, but it will probably take me 20-30 lbs to see an 8 again cause I carry my weight in the hips and thighs.

Congratulations on the huge accomplishment of losing 75 lbs!
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm down 25lbs and I haven't needed new clothes yet but my jeans are a lot comfier! They used to feel tight at the waist, now I really should be wearing a belt lol because I keep having to pull them up back over my hips and it must be very awkward-looking.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have jeans that are sizes 6, 8, and 10. I can fit into all of them. I never worry about sizes anymore.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    This is why I think that the women's fashion industry needs to lose this VANITY SIZING bs and see our pants by measurements just like they do men. The fashion industry is designed to make women feel inferior until they are in a 0 or 00 or even some companies make a -0 size. With last seasons 0 being this season's 2 or 4 it makes it impossible for us as women to feel confident in our clothing. Focus on the numbers and not some stupid tag!

Congrats on the Loss!

the thing with that is for people like me with a smaller waist and bigger hips and thighs,doing it by waist only I would still have to try them on.
  • powwlita
    powwlita Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've also lost 75 pounds, and have only gone down about 1 dress size. I was between a 28 and 30, and now I fit into some 26s. Keep going! At least you don't have to buy new clothes so often
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have so far lost 55 and I can still wear my same pants. They are looser but not falling off. I think I have lost most of my weight in my upper half. You can see my wrist bones and the bones of my clavicle and my sternum a lot. I am hoping when I lose the last 55 I will lose by stomach!
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'd also feel surprised if I lost that much and didn't go down at least more than one size (that sounds super frustrating) but we're all different...
    I know that generally (depending on the brand) it takes me about 15 lbs to go down a size on the top and probably closer to 20 or a little more to go down on the bottom.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I hear ya...I'm 92 lbs down but only 2 sizes. Really frustrating. Agree with all the posters about vanity sizing, too. Hang in there, it will change eventually.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    There is more room to drop lbs between larger dress sizes. Once I hit a healthy weight range, a few lbs could have me dropping jeans/dress sizes.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Agree with all of the posts above as to why it is not only possible, but probable. I will add that no one can see the size tag while you are wearing the item, so a) always bring at least 2 sizes to try on into the fitting room with you, at least within the same brand, and b) make sure you buy what looks good and feels good no matter what the tag says. It will happen. I dropped from a 14/16(L) to a pretty solid 12(M) after 25 lbs. I am now down about 35# and I am still in a 12. My jeans aren't quite loose enough to buy more yet. I am more shocked that I am wearing mediums at 173. Last time I was in the 130s/140s (20 years ago) I was wearing mediums. I have no idea what my final size will be when I hit my goal in the 140s this time.