Lost 75lbs and only dropped 1 dress size????

Options

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I will also add that many clothes materials can stretch over time making them bigger than they were brand new. For example, I have a pair of workout shorts from college that are Small; I wore size 6 jeans then. Fast forward to when I wore size 10 jeans but could still fit in the shorts. But to buy similar shorts now, I'd actually need a large! So while the tag on a piece of clothing could say one size, it might fit bigger, throwing off your expectations of what size you think you are. And vanity sizing doesn't help the matter at all. That's why my work clothes I buy men's because the sizing (and the fit, surprisingly) is better.
  • BlueScoobie02
    BlueScoobie02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First off, Congrats on losing 75 lbs, that's amazing!
    Also, some men's pants have started the same size slippage. It's not as obvious as it is with women's clothing but a lot of men's jeans size 32 are actually 34 or 35 inches around.
  • HappyBlues
    HappyBlues Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I started out at 296 and I am currently 201. I went from a size 24 to a size 16 currently (I cant get 14's on but they are still too tight for comfort) My ultimate goal weight is 170 for my height and frame. I have tried to stick with the same brand of clothing the whole way through this process just so things would stay consistent. Like others have said, sizes can really vary between brands. I have had periods when I felt like I was in the same size for like FOREVER to flying through other sizes. If the weight is coming off, don't worry so much about the sizes (I know easier said then done). You've done amazing so far keep!!
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am down 93 pounds now, and went from size 18 to size 8 jeans. It seemed like forever before I started dropping jeans sizes though.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have lost 102 pounds and only dropped one pant size, I went from a very tight 58 to a 56. The bigger you are, the bigger the size you wear, the greater the distance between sizes. I expect I won't be a 54 until I lose 30-40 more pounds and then it'll speed up. I hope so anyway.
  • chubbs415706
    chubbs415706 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You've lost 75 lbs! That's freaking amazing. Look at you before and afters when your feeling bummed about the lack of dresss change size. I'm sure you look smokin!
  • ZazieMFP
    ZazieMFP Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was always told that a 10lbs loss would equal about 1 dress size... I knew being as heavy as I was that probably wouldn't be the case, but I never thought it would take 75lbs per dress size lol

Well it depends on what size range you are. In the smaller range, a gain of 5-10lbs can make you change size, especially for pants and form-fitting skirts. But in larger size range, it is different.

If you ever have the opportunity to look at a multi-size sewing pattern, you'll notice than between size 6 (the smallest) and size 10, the distance between cutting lines for each size is approx. 1/4". Between sizes 12 and 16, the distance is approx. 2/3"; and between sizes 18 ans 22 (plus size), the distance is more or less 1 1/4". And so on.

So when the garnement is finished - a straight skirt for example - the hip circumference of a size 8 is only 1" larger than a size 6, while a size 22 would be more than 4" larger than size 20.

This is why you had to lose a lot of weight before dropping a dress size. As you will get into smaller ranges, you'll drop a size for each 20, or 10 lbs lost, depending on how and where you carry your weight and what type of clothes you wear.

It's the case for me. I am short, and a 5 lbs gain make it impossible, for example, to get into J. Crew size 4 skirts that use to fit perfectly. I typically wear tailored suits and dresses to work, and my 10 lbs gain cost me a f*&#load of money. :-( Had to replace almost everything. Not fun.

So I suppose that you long to wear smaller sizes because you'll have more shopping options, but in the meantime, you should appreciate the fact that you don't have to take second mortgage every bloody season to buy everything new.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you were an 18 at 275. I was 2x at that weight. Sounds like you're doing great!
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Nicci93 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that when you look at the differences in sizing in larger sizes (18+) they have a larger variance between sizes than smaller sizing (i.e. there's more inches between 16 and 18 than you can expect between an 8 and a 10). The smaller you get, it shouldn't take as many pounds to drop sizes.

It also depends on where you lost the weight. I am in size 10s, but it will probably take me 20-30 lbs to see an 8 again cause I carry my weight in the hips and thighs.

Congratulations on the huge accomplishment of losing 75 lbs!

This! When you are looking at the bigger sizes, they make it so that there is more of a difference between the sizing. The sizes in my closet range from a 10 to a 6. The six is from when I was 135lbs and the eight is about 145lbs. Right now I wear the size ten at 160lbs, but it's rapidly becoming too big.

Don't worry. The closer you get to your goal, the more frequently you'll have to replace your wardrobe. For now, just be proud of your loss!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you have a particular item of clothing that you liked, but it's too big now, see if that same item is for sale still. That's a better way of telling how many sizes you lost, but every manufacturer will be different. I've lost 33 pounds and one size, but I have some size 16s that are larger than some of my 18s.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What is your body type like? Have you lost a lot of muscle? UK or US sizes?

Going from 300 to 225, I went from a 22 or 24 to a 10, so your experience doesn't immediately make sense to me.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments. I am going to keep plugging away :)
    I do feel good in my clothes so I am very happy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    In addition to what has been mentioned before, there is also the issue that you usually dress your largest part, so even if your smaller parts see most of the loss you are still going to dress your largest part which might not have seen as much loss in comparison. Add to that tending to buy tighter clothes or grow inside of your clothes until they are tight, meaning your previous size may have actually been larger than you remember.

Personally, going from 310 to 250 brought me down from 26 to 24 and some tight 22 because most of my loss came from my waist, but by 210 I was wearing a 16 because I finally started losing some of my extra butt and thigh fluff.
  • uninc57
    uninc57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've only gone down 1 jeans size after 40 pounds from a 36 to a 34. I think it has to do with where it comes off. First it was my gut then my arms. I ended up going from an XXL shirt to an L.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I think there is much more leeway in women's sizes than in misses sizes, but it sounds like you're on track. A lot depends on how you carry your weight, but at 5'7" and 182 I was usually a size 14. I'm 143 now (a bit above my goal weight) and I have sizes 4, 6, 8, and 10 in my closet, depending on brand.

Congrats on your loss so far!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    when i was too thin i weighed maybe 120, 5'7''. wore a 2 or sometimes 0. no working out. today i am an everyday hot yogi, very fit, weigh about 150 now and wear a size 6 loosely. my 4 are wearable but too snug for my liking. i pratically live in leggings. took the jeans out just to get and idea on were i am. i think i just had a whoosh, because everyone is complementing on how good i look. awe , so nice all the work starting to pay off! like all have said i have from 10's to 2's in my closet. i go by how they feel and look, not the size. every store seems to be different! congrats on 75lbs, that is amazing! celebrate with a new something!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i think sizes should be colors or something neutral to erase any stigma! colors would be awesome!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    there is less of a difference in sizes the larger you are AND plus size clothes are difficult to manufacture because the more obese you are the more variation you'll have in body shape. not to mention that most clothing is "vanity" sized.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was like this. I am 5'1", 46, started in the 230s. I wore the same pants / shorts until I was in the 150s. My shirts got looser, but barely anything changed anywhere else. To be clear: I couldn't have worn smaller pants even with that loss. In the low 150s and into the 140s, though, a lot changed quickly. I started losing 2-4 inches off my waist and belly every month at that point and nothing changed calorie or activity-wise. My only guess is that I was losing fat around or within my organs? I have no idea, but have learned the body has its own wisdom and knows what to do and when to do it. Hang in there -- you'll see other changes soon.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    just do measurements on yourself. they are more indicative of 1- size and 2- progress.

ive lost 80+ pounds (maybe close to 90, ive reset several times for various reasons) and - on average - have gone from a 22 to 12. but i can wear SOME 10s. and some stuff has to be a 16. depends on manufacturer, cut, style, and so many other factors.

the proof is in the measurements