"Is my “slow metabolism” stalling my weight loss?"

Sol Orwell of Examine.com dropping knowledge bombs.

"Is my “slow metabolism” stalling my weight loss?"

https://examine.com/nutrition/is-my-slow-metabolism-stalling-my-weight-loss/

Replies

• Arox312
    Arox312 Posts: 14 Member
    Very interesting
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Should be a sticky.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    For the record, I'd like to point out that two individuals, one with a meteabolic rate requiring they consume 150 calories more than the median, and one requiring they consume 150 calories less than the median, will both be well within the population norms (actually both within 1 standard deviation of the mean, in the center 68%), but having a resting metabolic difference of 300 calories / day will find dieting and weight maintenance to be a quite different experience if they have similar levels of hunger.

That 200-300 calorie spread is a + or - spread, meaning that the variation between individuals is actually quite large. It seems ever-so-popular to pooh-pooh that away, but its pretty real given screwing up on your caloric intake by only a 100-200 calories a day can lead to major weight gain over the course of years.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    For the record, I'd like to point out that two individuals, one with a meteabolic rate requiring they consume 150 calories more than the median, and one requiring they consume 150 calories less than the median, will both be well within the population norms, but having a resting metabolic difference of 300 calories / day will find dieting and weight maintenance to be a quite different experience if they have similar levels of hunger.

True. But they will still be able to pull it off if they approach it right.

Hunger is not that closely related to actual calories, it's more to do with intake of certain foods - 1700 calories of chicken and vegetables and whole grains will leave you much less hungry than 2000 calories of jam sandwiches.