RICE - cut the calories in rice by 50%???

Options
tarothelp
tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
Interesting read!
This fellow potentially figured out a way to cut the calories of white rice by 50% simply based on how he prepared it!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/25/scientists-have-figured-out-a-simple-way-to-cook-rice-that-dramatically-cuts-the-calories/?utm_term=.43e480da0536

Replies

• StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cooking and refridgerating easily digestible starch changes the chemical composition to a resistant starch. Essentially its more 'fiber-like' and not easily digested. As we can't really digest or break it down, then we can’t get the calories or energy from it.
    Works with more than just rice...but...but, chances are it's not 50%. Maybe closer to 30% or less.
  • healthkickkath1
    healthkickkath1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good news for people that prepare their meals in advance.
    Did they count the calories from the coconut oil?
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    An easier way would be to eat cauliflower rice. No starches, so it's better for you, anyway. Won't spike blood sugar.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's the same mechanism that causes re-heated starches to make us so.... gassy. If you've ever eaten mashed potatoes that were warmed up for the third time you'll know what I mean. :#
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Or just eat less rice

I thought this was a joke post and the punchline would be "eat 50% less rice".

You stole my comment.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I love rice. I make it about once or twice a week at home. I just measure the portion that fits my calorie goals for the day and move on. No life hack necessary.

same here
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    HeidiGrrrl wrote: »
    An easier way would be to eat cauliflower rice. No starches, so it's better for you, anyway. Won't spike blood sugar.
    Spiking blood sugar isn't a bad thing.

But it sounds so scary
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've read something similar. It has nothing to do with the oil, only to do with the cooling (in what I read). Personally I think it's likely a misrepresentation of the data. So I'm not too sure I believe it yet. More research is needed. But... I do eat leftover rice a lot... so maybe I benefit when losing weight! But I will assume full calories.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    tarothelp wrote: »
    Interesting read!
    This fellow potentially figured out a way to cut the calories of white rice by 50% simply based on how he prepared it!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/25/scientists-have-figured-out-a-simple-way-to-cook-rice-that-dramatically-cuts-the-calories/?utm_term=.43e480da0536

Very interesting read. Thanks for posting
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    tarothelp wrote: »
    Interesting read!

Very interesting read. Thanks for posting

You are welcome :)
  • Demenseotf
    Demenseotf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see more research before I start changing how I cook my rice. One paper doesn't mean much.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    HeidiGrrrl wrote: »

I'll stick to rice thanks and eat my cauliflower as cauliflower. Besides for most of us having 'sugar spikes' is not a bad thing. It is why our body produces insulin in the first place. Beside, if you switch to brown you have more fibre which slows the absorption of sugar in your system, lessening these spikes and I prefer the nuttier taste of brown rice.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I don't eat a lot of rice anymore. I have been losing and maintaining my weight (not gaining any) for the past 9 months and NOT eating a lot of rice and other starches has a lot to do w/this.

Anyway, I always refrigerate rice after making a pot of it. It doesn't cook well in my rice cooker in small batches. Need to cook at least 3 cups (dry) at a time which at least doubles in volume after cooking. Only eat 1/2 to 1 cup cooked per meal. So, it usually takes me 1-2 weeks to finish a pot of it, which is the reason for refrigerating it.

Guess I just need to add some oil to it b4 cooking to replicate this experiment. No coconut oil in my house but lots of canola and olive oil. Also bought a small bottle of avocado oil on sale that may be a good substitute for coconut.

Going to give it a try to see how it comes out. Not concerned about the cals but it may cause a favorable change in taste and/or texture. We'll see . . .
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Or just eat less rice

I thought this was a joke post and the punchline would be "eat 50% less rice".

Also inb4 "eating refrigerated rice will kill you because arsenic."

Apparently the best way to deal with the potential arsenic overload in rice is to change the way you cook it originally. So cook in 3 times as much water and drain it away.

Or just watch out for the scent of bitter almonds.