building muscle at 60

Options
Is that really possible? I am almost at my goal weight, and think I need to gain muscle in order to stay, not only strong, but lean as well. The thing is, I lose my motivation when I keep thinking it's too late for me. That counts for leg and stomach muscles. I am 5.5 and weigh 135 now, but my stomach still sticks out. Is that unavoidable at my age? (I did give birth to multiple babies.)

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lifting weight at any age is a good thing, regardless of how much muscle you "gain." It's good for your bone density, and is actually the best thing to do to at a minimum to maintain the muscle you have. Do it!

If you choose to be in a calorie deficit (in a mode to continue losing weight): weight lifting will help maintain your current muscle mass; you will gain strength (you can gain strength without necessarily gaining size of muscles); and a higher proportion of fat versus muscle will be lost.

If you choose to be at maintenance/stay the same weight: weightlifting will slowly over time transform your figure as you slowly lose fat and gain muscle.

If you choose to eat in a calorie excess: weightlifting will help you BUILD muscle mass, and strength. Fat and muscle are gained, but then you do a "cut" to cut calories and drop the fat as you continue to lift.

Regardless of your goals, there is never a bad time to lift weights. Your best bang for your buck would be to find an established program that gets progressively heavier lifting, with compound lifts using freeweights. Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc. are good programs. There is a Stronglifts 5x5 for Women group here that is invaluable.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You're not the first lifter to start late in life. Get the book The Barbell Prescription and read it cover to cover. There's some considerations around barbell training for us older folks with regard to intensity, volume, and recovery, but impossible isn't one of the words available.

ktnwp00qne8f.jpg
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It's not too late! I'm 61 and started last year (also with the nerd fitness beginners programme) and have moved onto strong lifts. I've had to adapt it a fair bit due to health issues. I'm not sure how much actual muscle I'm building- it's early days and I'm also trying to gain weight rather than lose,so it's probably concealed under a layer of fat! But of equal importance to me is an increase in my strength and fewer aches and pains - things that,earlier last year ,would have caused pain or I'd have to ask someone else to do ,I can now do with ease! I also feel more balanced- literally,not in a hippy dippy sense. And for me that's crucial as I'm osteopenic and falling could lead to serious injury (I fell downstairs a few years ago and shattered my scapula) Maintaining muscle is really important as we get older. Go for it!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it's me again. I was posting from a new phone and had to get my old one for the following.

This is a set of pics of me all at my maintenance weight so less than 2lbs difference between any of them.
    The first (top left) I was happy enough with my body to wear a bikini in the Caribbean and was taken when I was 60. I then did the bodyweight programme and Dumbbells followed by AllPro as a recomp. The last (bottom right) was taken on my 63rd birthday. Not the results someone half my age would have, but I'm pretty pleased so far and hoping for further improvements.

omxkdhbkw23v.jpeg

Here is a link to the most popular programmes. Read through and choose one that suits you, your needs, and abilities.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here is a link to the recomp thread. It is a good read and so inspirational.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Start lifting now, you don't need to be at your goal weight, and........

IT IS NOT TOO LATE.

Cheers, h.
    (There are more pics in my profile.)

@middlehaitch you look amazing!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it's me again. I was posting from a new phone and had to get my old one for the following.

This is a set of pics of me all at my maintenance weight so less than 2lbs difference between any of them.
    The first (top left) I was happy enough with my body to wear a bikini in the Caribbean and was taken when I was 60. I then did the bodyweight programme and Dumbbells followed by AllPro as a recomp. The last (bottom right) was taken on my 63rd birthday. Not the results someone half my age would have, but I'm pretty pleased so far and hoping for further improvements.

omxkdhbkw23v.jpeg

Here is a link to the most popular programmes. Read through and choose one that suits you, your needs, and abilities.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here is a link to the recomp thread. It is a good read and so inspirational.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Start lifting now, you don't need to be at your goal weight, and........

IT IS NOT TOO LATE.

Cheers, h.
    (There are more pics in my profile.)

@middlehaitch you look amazing!

Yes she does!

57 here and been doing 5x5 + for over a year. 192 lbs down to 177 and according to my wife, I've added a good deal of muscle lol.

Lift away. It's never too late. Oh an obligatory video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's never too late to start. i personally want a physique like hers when i'm in my late 70's. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhIJlVcf2Q

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Do it, it's never too late! @middlehaitch & Ernestine are proof of that!
    I'm going to be 47 in less than a week. I started progressive lifting a couple years ago and the benefits are amazing!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Do it, it's never too late! @middlehaitch & Ernestine are proof of that!
    I'm going to be 47 in less than a week. I started progressive lifting a couple years ago and the benefits are amazing!

Happy incoming Birthday! :)

@rainbowbow - my mother is about Ernestine's age and I've showed her several of the videos. She's in great shape considering she's never exercised a day in her life, but I'm trying so hard to get her started :#
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just re watched Ernestine.

Thank you so much for posting it (and your kind comments guys) I am having a hard time getting my gym mojo back after my break. Went home (UK from Canada) to celebrate my mums 90th. Still a fully independent woman.

I know I just don't have the dedication and love of working out that Ernestine has, and that starting at 60 is a little late, but I can well see some of the women on these forums having her body at her age ( @Sumiblue & @rainbowbow I'm talking about you :) )

@Itisneeded I hope we have given you some encouragement.

Cheers, h.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some advice for older people from a highly respected strength coach on training for middle age and beyond/.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    Some advice for older people from a highly respected strength coach on training for middle age and beyond/.

Sorry I couldn't follow that guy.
    I couldn't even read the whole thread.
    Slow light weight gets better results than fast when one is addressing an older population

I have never needed orange flavoured Metamucil.

I am afraid I gave up there.

Thanks for the link, but I will pass.

Cheers, h.
  • Itisneeded
    Itisneeded Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Lifting weight at any age is a good thing, regardless of how much muscle you "gain." It's good for your bone density, and is actually the best thing to do to at a minimum to maintain the muscle you have. Do it!

If you choose to be in a calorie deficit (in a mode to continue losing weight): weight lifting will help maintain your current muscle mass; you will gain strength (you can gain strength without necessarily gaining size of muscles); and a higher proportion of fat versus muscle will be lost.

If you choose to be at maintenance/stay the same weight: weightlifting will slowly over time transform your figure as you slowly lose fat and gain muscle.

If you choose to eat in a calorie excess: weightlifting will help you BUILD muscle mass, and strength. Fat and muscle are gained, but then you do a "cut" to cut calories and drop the fat as you continue to lift.

Regardless of your goals, there is never a bad time to lift weights. Your best bang for your buck would be to find an established program that gets progressively heavier lifting, with compound lifts using freeweights. Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc. are good programs. There is a Stronglifts 5x5 for Women group here that is invaluable.

Thank you so much for the encouragement and the suggestions. I will definitely check them out.
  • Itisneeded
    Itisneeded Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all the encouragements! I am ready to face the music again. This community is always so supportive!