Just wrong!

Options
Appersmere
Appersmere Posts: 16 Member
myfitnesspalsponsorad.png

This is a site intended to help people lose weight, and we're being shown ads like that!?? Not right! Not right at all!!

Replies

• AJay513
    AJay513 Posts: 187
    Options
    LOL! Great point!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    damn, that looks good.
  • ash1989
    ash1989 Posts: 2
    Options
    It just makes me want to eat!!!
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That ad got me so tempted, I actually bought some!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    If the ads bother you, use google chrome with ad blocker!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    OMG it looks revolting! :laugh:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal doesn't choose the ads that appear on the site. They depend on browsing history. I currently have "lose weight for wedding ads" because I'm getting married in November.

MFP is free for everyone to use...the only way these ads would ever disapear is if you had to pay to use the site.

You'll soon get used to them...I think they are extra good for strengthening will power :flowerforyou:
  • Sabbykins
    Sabbykins Posts: 1
    Options
    I know, Kudos bars are tempting. Fat and calorie wise, they are not that bad though - The Dove ones are 100 calories a bar, 2.5 grams of fat, 110 mg of Sodium, 17g of Carbs, 8g of those being Sugar. The Snicker's ones have 3.5 grams of Fat :(

I wouldn't eat these everday, maybe once in a while for a chocolaty snack because for the small serving size, it's not worth the sugar or carb intake often. I really used to love these but have cut them out of my diet for the most part.

So enjoy sparingly ! :D
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I said all along that MFP was here to make money from us, hence the ad clients....No one took me seriously of course...
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    OMG it looks revolting! :laugh:

...but of course not every one likes the advertised product, so...
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I said all along that MFP was here to make money from us, hence the ad clients....No one took me seriously of course...

MFP are not making money off us, any revenue generated would be paying for the site and bandwidth, the sheer volume of traffic on this site means a website that you pick up free or cheap just would not cope. AND adverts you are seeing are directly linked to YOUR browsing history...I currently have phone contract and graze box ads because i've just changed my phone and contract and I was looking at graze box after a link on facebook. If you want a free site of this size then adverts are a small price to pay, I click on them occasionally to help keep it free
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Why would they do that!?!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    MFP is free for everyone to use...the only way these ads would ever disapear is if you had to pay to use the site.

Maybe MFP should have the option of being a paid app. You subscribe, you don't get ads.

Let's see how many people put their money where their mouth is...
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

Maybe MFP should have the option of being a paid app. You subscribe, you don't get ads.

Let's see how many people put their money where their mouth is...

I think we already know how many would pay so no point going there plus it builds a "them and us" barrier between paid and free members...I think there's enough divide on here at times without that.

If the ads bother someone that much they can just download an ad blocker. I have one, I see no ads most of the time because my pc is old and can't cope with the extra changing data but I disable it once a day and give a few clicks.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I really don't notice any of the ads on the internet; I just filter them out completely and couldn't tell you what they were pushing.
    Unless there is a cat, I look at cats. I don't notice what they are selling though. Although I like cats, they will shamelessly add their images to anything for nip.:love:
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    These adchoices and ads are based on your browsing history.
    Why does the world have to support your weight loss and eating plan?
    Those bars cookies cakes are all tasty why shouldn't people eat them (moderation?)?

This site helps you loose weight and it definitely has tools and database for it, its up to You to use it correctly and you have to have the will to stay away from bad foods.

We are all living in a world of sugars and junk food, if you want to eat clean then eat clean no one is holding you back.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You are what you Google. :happy:

When the ads annoy me, I just search a couple times for music, books, vacations, exercise equipment, whatever and I get different ads.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the ads that float around because I do know it's for the site to make some money. And they do amuse the heck out of me at times because I have no idea why I'm getting what I am because it doesn't relate to anything I search for. At the moment I've got a couple of dating site ads.

~shrugs~
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    I am so focused when I am on MFP, I never even noticed the ads. Hopefully, this hasn't made me too aware and I can go back to not seeing them.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    so I am the only one who licked the screen then?