Starting the gym

Options
katiepoo22
katiepoo22 Posts: 58 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so I've never ever been to the gym! I'm really nervous but excited any tips? I'm 315 lbs and ready to change

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    See if you can get a tour of the facility by one of the staff. Ask them how to use some machines you are interested in.

Start light and slow and get your form down before going heavier. You can watch form videos online or ask one of the trainers to check it for you.
  • katiepoo22
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! Tomorrow is the introduction so he will show me how to use things I'm ganna go once a week to me started and see how I feel I will let you know how it goes :)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Before you start the gym, be sure the choke is on and you prime the bulb at least 3-5 times.

srsly tho: just go in, be respectful of other patrons, ask questions if you have any, don't talk to anybody with headphones, and get your exercise in!!
  • katiepoo22
    Options
    I don't understand the first part you said lol but thanks B)
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love the gym classes, if you have any available at your gym , I'd recommend that.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Keep going. :)
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

srsly tho: just go in, be respectful of other patrons, ask questions if you have any, don't talk to anybody with headphones, and get your exercise in!!

Sorry, don't intend to hijack anyone's thread but why shouldn't the op talk to anyone with headphones?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie deficit.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options

Sorry, don't intend to hijack anyone's thread but why shouldn't the op talk to anyone with headphones?

Headphones are "gym-speak" for "leave me alone, I'm working out and don't want to be bothered", at least 90+% of the time.
  • katiepoo22
    Options
    thanks for your ongoing support i have unfortunatley been in a car accident and broken my ankle/foot and my leg is now in a brace for up to 8 weeks - im on week 1 lol thank god for family!!
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Headphones are "gym-speak" for "leave me alone, I'm working out and don't want to be bothered", at least 90+% of the time.
    [/quote]

• BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Exactly
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »

true, but the op should know too that if it's a genuine question, such as how many sets they have left or whether someone else is in line, you're 'allowed' to interrupt. it's more that you shouldn't count on a headphone-wearer to become your brand new gym buddy.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    katiepoo22 wrote: »
    thanks for your ongoing support i have unfortunatley been in a car accident and broken my ankle/foot and my leg is now in a brace for up to 8 weeks - im on week 1 lol thank god for family!!

Sorry to hear that, hope you're mobile again soon x