Is this salad really 496 calories?

Options
124»

Replies

• Shane324534645
    Shane324534645 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions I went and picked up some bolthouse farm yogurt dressings, it seems to work well. I can't use any vinaigrette type of dressings because it takes a toll on my throat.
  • Shane324534645
    Options
    Other people are pointing out the dressing and ways to reduce it and whatnot. (I agree that 6 Tbsp sounds like a lot, also I typically put just olive oil and balsamic or rice vinegar on mine and love the flavor it gives).

But also, if you're eating this as a meal, do you really need to reduce the calories? 500 kcal or so seems like a decent meal. Now, if you eat 3 of those in a day and you also tend to snack, I can see where it might be problematic. But my point is, don't go overboard on trying to make everything you eat low-calorie. I think sometimes with counting, people get in the mindset (say) of "750 kcal! That's way too high!" even if it's really nutritious and will fit their goals for the day.

Yeah this is my meal, I'm doing 3 meals of 500 calories each and I eat this for my lunch.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you cut the calories from dressing, add something else to make up for it. Cheese. Chicken. Tuna. Shrimp.

Should be more satisfying and keep you full longer.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions I went and picked up some bolthouse farm yogurt dressings, it seems to work well. I can't use any vinaigrette type of dressings because it takes a toll on my throat.

Bolthouse Farms makes really tasty dressings for low calories! Even if you did use your regular 6 TBSP there...it'd be way less calories than a standard dressing.

I like their Salsa Ranch dressing a lot.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    I use 2 tablespoons and cover it and shake the hell out of it for even coverage.

This. And I make my own using a hand blender which emulsifies it. Dang dressing!
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I put my salad in a bowl with the top I pour my salad dressing on it and I shake it up and it's plenty maybe you can try. I use 2 TBS. of Ken's light house Cesar. Good luck
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have cut my regular salad dressings from 2 to 1 tablespoon, and I pour it onto a spoon first to measure.
    I do like a creamy salad, though. Try this for a dressing:
    1/2 to 1 cup of nonfat cottage cheese
    1/2 teaspoon of bleu cheese crumbles
    Mix it in for a crumble in every bite.
    Tastes like 6 tablespoons of fat dressing.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    That looks correct. The dressing is a killer.

Yeah, I will slowly ween myself off of it a half a tablespoon a salad probably.

Try using half the dressing and toss it all in a large bowl. The dressing gets distributed more evenly, so you don't need as much.
  • Shane324534645
    Options
    dshalbert wrote: »
    junodog1 wrote: »
    That looks correct. The dressing is a killer.

Yeah, I will slowly ween myself off of it a half a tablespoon a salad probably.

Try using half the dressing and toss it all in a large bowl. The dressing gets distributed more evenly, so you don't need as much.

That most likely what I'll do tomorrow for lunch, try 2 tbsp of dressing and see how well it coats everything
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use 2 tablespoons and cover it and shake the hell out of it for even coverage.

I actually discovered this on accident. I couldn't find the bottle in my salad storage thingy so I just dumped the dressing on. After carrying it around for half the day, every nook and cranny was coated in dressing.

ETA: I also love putting some sunflower kernels on my salads.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mixing full fat dressing with something lower calorie? (Assuming you want to lower the calorie count of the dressing)
  • toothgal5
    toothgal5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found I ate less dressing if i put a lid over the bowl and shook it to distribute the dressing. That way each piece of lettuce gets some dressing vs adding it to the top of a salad and only the top layer gets the dressing. You'll end up using more dressing to coat the lower half of the salad.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @Shane324534645 Just noticing you use this as part of your 3500 calorie meal?! Is that correct or is it an error? For my salads I hardly use any dressing, and sometimes none at all.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    @Shane324534645 Just noticing you use this as part of your 3500 calorie meal?! Is that correct or is it an error? For my salads I hardly use any dressing, and sometimes none at all.

He means he eats 3 meals of 500 calories each.
  • Shane324534645
    Options
    I used 4 table spoons of dressing today and mixed it up with salad tongs like some suggested and the salad was drenched completely. I can bring it down to 2 table spoons tomorrow and cut a bunch of calories out. Thanks everyone for the help and info!
  • lionessNV
    lionessNV Posts: 136 Member
    Options

This is what I do with my salad dressings. I use a scale, measure out my 2 tbsp (or 30 grams) and shake/stir (depending on container) everything around
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Two tablespoons of salad dressing should be enough for ANY salad...Just my two cents worth...
  • maurihart
    maurihart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What about a different dressing? Creamy dressings have more calories than Italian or vinaigrette dressings and I would limit it to 2T max.