Eating when ill

Options
hi - jut wondering do you have to eat when you are feeling sick and not hungry? I've had oatmeal for breakfast but can't bring myself to eat anything else. I am however drinking lots of water.

Got cold/flu symptoms

Replies

• Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have been ill with similar all week, everytime I eat anything I will either bring it back up or feel like I need to for a few hours afterwards :(
    So I have not been eating alot either. Hope you feel better soon.
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite when im sick , I crave carbs., try have a soup or something light , something to give you energy you need to recover. Wish you well =)
  • xxshewolfxx
    Options
    I know what you mean, I felt really ill recently (but it's going now :D). I struggled to find appetite for anything.

Try and eat lots of fruit and vegetables - things with vitamin C - even if you don't feel like eating. Of course, if you're throwing up then something a little more plain might be more palatable (like toast). Try not to drink/ eat stimulants such a coffee and chocolate - they decrease Vitamin C and slow down recovery.

The best thing to do is not to worry too much about calorie intake and focus on getting yourself well ;)
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am in exactly the same boat right at the moment. My view is absolutely. You're body needs fuel to fight it off as quick as possible. Yes the extra water is great and well needed but I "try" to also get in more good fuel too.

Doesn't exactly go like that as I tend to eat a few "comfort" foods when I'm not on top of the world but balance it with more of the good stuff too - fruits, veg, eggs....
  • WinnieX
    WinnieX Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks for the replies- I'm not physically being sick (thankfully). Just don't have energy to cook and not hungry in the slightest... Feel very disconnected from my body at the moment. But I usually eat well and workout twice a day and don't want muscle loss etc :( but also don't want to force myself to eat when feel so ill and not craving it
  • miio19
    miio19 Posts: 6
    Options
    Have you tried porridge/congee?
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    chicken soup and/or noodles are supposed to be good. although it does require a little bit of effort. maybe just try so lean meat (turkey/chicken) or light carbs such as whole grain waffles or some cereal. feel better soon!!
  • WinnieX
    Options
    Yeah had porridge with honey for breakfast the past two days. Made myself eat in the mornings as don't want to make myself worse etc
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    When I'm ill I always crave yoghurt and smoothies, maybe some fruit like grapes etc. Just listen to your body is my suggestion and yes, drink plenty of water x
  • nursekj
    nursekj Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes I reckon- I have a wicked sore throat and Im going to just have a few of those with lemon honey drinks and soups.
  • WinnieX
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and kind wishes, will just see how I get on - dreading going to work later (and can't cancel as I'm the boss)!

Best wishes for everyone else that's feeling rough too!