Need to lose 42 pounds by June 4th

Options
I wanted to set a due date for my goal weight, so what better date than my birthday? It's close, so it's going to be a challenge, yet a present for myself. I'm exercising more than one hour a day and counting my calories. Is it even possible to lose that much weight in that amount of time?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't possible. At your size you can probably aim for at most 15 pounds in that time. But even if you don't make that goal by your birthday, you'll still have done something to get healthier.
  • pretentieux
    pretentieux Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5 feet. Would it be easier for me, because I'm shorter than most?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Unless you are morbidly obese or doing something unhealthy to lose then no. Agree with @malibu927 if you stick to a healthy calorie deficit you will lose something by that time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, because you're looking at losing a little over 3 pounds per week. The maximum safe rate of loss is 2 pounds a week, and even that number is only good for those who have at least twice what you have to lose. With a goal of 42 pounds to lose, a pound a week is your best bet, which will then drop to half a pound for your final 10-15 pounds.
  • ValkyrieOnline
    ValkyrieOnline Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My birthday is June 4th as well! I don't think I will be working out for over an hour a day and I was shooting for 25-30, but anything is possible! :D
  • pretentieux
    pretentieux Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much!
    How do you remove posts, if you even can?
  • Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Maybe, but it's quite unlikely.

It's fairly widely acknowledged that 2lbs/week is the highest anyone can safely aim for. It's the highest MFP will let you select for a reason - anything higher would likely involve a very sharp deficit and you might find yourself feeling unwell or damaging your body.

June 4th is 13 weeks away... if we go off that 2lbs/week number, you're looking at 26lbs. However, weight loss is not linear and not 100% predictable. You might lose that, you might not. It's difficult to say.

Is there any need for a rush? A loss is a loss is a loss. Does it really matter how long it takes if you, for whatever reason you're trying to lose, feel better?

In my experience... timed goals do little but create chaos for your mind. It's an unnecessary pressure. I set myself a timed goal a while ago... never again! A challenge is nice, but keeping your goals achievable is more important.