Constipation and what works

Options
I see a lot of posts here about constipation. While I have struggled with this since my 2nd pregnancy (and my "baby" is now 21), it got really awful when I started eating more protein.

Let me say that I was already doing everything the health articles tell you, every day. Tons of water and fiber, yogurt daily. I tried coconut oil, lemon water, all the "sure-fire" remedies. And exercising. And I was still suffering.

3 weeks ago I was searching again for something I might have missed and decided to double my magnesium chelate dosage from 200 mg to 400mg. Literally overnight, everything changed. Three weeks later, it's still good. Not perfect; but far, far better. I feel almost normal, not like a freak with an embarrassing problem!

What works for you?

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yep--I saw the title and was going to suggest that you might be magnesium deficient.

Most people don't get nearly enough magnesium in their diets, and some medical conditions (metabolic issues, particularly) can make you chronically low in magnesium.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Magnesium
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works. Constipation is no joke.
    Quest bars do the trick for me, especially if I eat one after a long time off of them.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My go-to is Miralax, colase, and fiber one Cereal.
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My go to is Coconut water.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Magnesium does not work for me.

I had to go to the doctors. I have medication and sometimes THAT doesn't work. Sometimes even a laxative doesn't work. It feels horrible to not go for days and then have a laxative do nothing.

I didn't develop this problem until last summer. It *kitten* sucks.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Golden milk works for me. The turmeric, ginger and black pepper seem to be a magic combo.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of flax oil will do wonders. So will a nice brisk walk.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    A bag of prunes.
    I've never really ever suffered constipation EXCEPT when I was prepping for contests.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm hypermobile and my bowels are affected along with my joints, which probably isn't helped by the codeine I take for joint pain. The worst I had it was 2 weeks without going and believe me I tried everything I could think of, prunes, high fibre cereal, 3 different types of laxative and warm baths. I was crying with pain when I finally "went". Of course not having a gall bladder I can't digest fat so I could have tried eating something like full fat yoghurt, only I couldn't face the idea of having constipation and the runs at the same time (it has happened before and it's extremely painful)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Well 10 servings of fruit and veg totally works for me.

I was just coming here to post this! LOL.

I'm also on high dose magnesium supplementation as part of my migraine protocol and have been for some time. I can say that the effects of it wear off after a while. At least they did for me. I'm regular, but my body got used to it over time.

A lot of fibrous fruit and veg along with whole grains and water keep things moving along nicely. I consider it a badge of honor to reach a really high fiber intake every day.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Magnesium does not work for me.

I had to go to the doctors. I have medication and sometimes THAT doesn't work. Sometimes even a laxative doesn't work. It feels horrible to not go for days and then have a laxative do nothing.

I didn't develop this problem until last summer. It *kitten* sucks.

I would highly recommend digestive enzymes at every meal. We had to start our girl out on two capsules of BioGest (no other brand worked for her) per meal. It took about 2-3 weeks for it to kick in with regularity but when it did it took care of her chronic constipation. We did that for a few years. After that we slowly cut back to one per meal, then just twice a day, etc. etc. Might be worth a try. Can't hurt anyway.....
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Well 10 servings of fruit and veg totally works for me.

Lololol! Me too!
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Golden milk works for me. The turmeric, ginger and black pepper seem to be a magic combo.

I take golden milk. I love it, and it really helps my voice! I'm a teacher and a singer and I need my voice. I read somewhere to use it for that and it works like a charm.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    A big cup of coffee usually gets things moving for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Laying off the grains, and having 2 magnesium complex capsules a night keeps me happy.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    dried fruit(dates,raisins),whole grain bread and overnight oats/muesli :smile:
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I was advised to get fibre, of course, but to try and get it from sources like fruit, veg and beans/pulses rather than from grain sources, as apparently too much bran can make it worse in some cases.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A glass of grape juice works for me....Or a Taco Bell meal.