Supplements & protein shakes

Options
Sedu1906
Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
Curious to know what type of protein shakes, smoothies or supplements you guys are using and to what effect.

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i like various gnc powders. one of my favs for flavor is salted caramel by QUEST at gnc. i mix with 8 oz. coconut water,3 oz. pineapple and half a banana and a handful of spinach. i freeze all my fruit and theb freeze the shake until time to eat. it is heaven. bars are tricky, most are loaded with calories and really don't keep me satisfied very long, definately not a meal. i like the THINK THIN in salted caramel 15 grams protein, 20 carbs, 150 calories. i love ONE bars in birthday cake, but over 200 calories, 15 protein and not sure on carbs. it is only once in a blue moon as a treat!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Isopure Whey Isolate mixed with coffee chocolate milk. Isopure Zero Carb Dutch Chocolate mixed with milk or coffee. For bars, MusclePharm Combat Crunch (Chocolate or Birthday Cake) is my current favorite...Amazon sells a variety pack.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I use whey isolate. It provides me with protein to meet my daily needs. There are no magical benefits.

This. And as a female with not much room in my calories getting closer to goal, I rarely have one now, I'd rather just eat my protein.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat food. I feel great.
  • kylecpatterson
    kylecpatterson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    None, as denatured proteins that are not regulated by the fda can not be trusted. Eat whole food and stop being brainwashed my marketing.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress whey protein. -$18 every 2 months.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a protein shake in the morning made with one of the Unjury chocolate flavors, PB2 and unsweetened almond milk. I will also make green smoothies once or twice a week. With those I use spinach, kale, cucumber, apple, lemon juice, a few frozen strawberries and chia seeds.
    I rather enjoy them and they are a quick breakfast in the morning and an easy way to get a good dose of produce.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    None, as denatured proteins that are not regulated by the fda can not be trusted. Eat whole food and stop being brainwashed my marketing.

Easy there. Powders are a great way to get extra protein in the diet without a lot of extra calories.

Given that millions of people have been using them worldwide for decades, I think we'd know by now if there was any actual reason to distrust them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sedu1906 wrote: »
    Curious to know what type of protein shakes, smoothies or supplements you guys are using and to what effect.

I use ON Gold Standard...to the effect that it helps me hit my protein targets.

• BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

i mix Chike Iced Coffee (protein and caffeine) with heavy whipping cream as an afternoon snack. delicious.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Check out Labdoor.com They have independently tested a whole swag of protein powders. Some test truly crap, while others get an A+ rating.

OP I use a protein powder from MyProtein. The only reason being that i struggle to get adequate protein without it, an added bonus is that it tastes delicious.

• Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. I just started using GNC's plant based Vega for my breakfast meal replacement. I blend it with banana to give it a thicker consistency. So far so good.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

What the FDA chooses to regulate means bugger all to the rest of the world outside of America!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For a basic protein hit I use the EAS Whey protein that can be purchased at Target. It's the right nutrition for the right price imo, and it tastes pretty good too. I've cooked with it as well.

I've been having meal shakes for lunch recently, using the Vega One meal replacement powder. It's vegan, which is ideal for me because I have a dairy sensitivity and didn't really want to be consuming whey on a daily basis. I mix with almond or soy milk. Tastes decent, doesn't blend great, but keeps me full. It's been the best solution for me getting a healthy lunch within calories each day given my work situation, which makes it hard for me to bring leftovers.
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Check out Labdoor.com They have independently tested a whole swag of protein powders. Some test truly crap, while others get an A+ rating.

OP I use a protein powder from MyProtein. The only reason being that i struggle to get adequate protein without it, an added bonus is that it tastes delicious.

Quoted for truth. Literally everything here. MyPro ftw.
  • whitney91smith
    whitney91smith Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use 1st Phorm's Level-1(link removed by mods) in between meals and I use Phormula-1 and Ignition Post Workout (link removed by mods) Thier products all have 110% money back guarantee and thier the best tasting I've ever had. Plus their protein is all cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed to assure high bioavailability. This is important to assure the protein is not high temperature processed like the stuff from the normal supplement stores. High temperature processing denatures protein so your body can't use it for muscle repair and growth. It also gives it that nasty taste and the tenancy to cause digestion problems. If it doesn't say cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed on the label I don't buy it. I love that post workout stack because I'm not sore anymore the day after a workout and I'm seeing gains a lot faster. I hope that helps!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use 1st Phorm's Level-1(link removed by mods) in between meals and I use Phormula-1 and Ignition Post Workout (link removed by mods) Thier products all have 110% money back guarantee and thier the best tasting I've ever had. Plus their protein is all cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed to assure high bioavailability. This is important to assure the protein is not high temperature processed like the stuff from the normal supplement stores. High temperature processing denatures protein so your body can't use it for muscle repair and growth. It also gives it that nasty taste and the tenancy to cause digestion problems. If it doesn't say cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed on the label I don't buy it. I love that post workout stack because I'm not sore anymore the day after a workout and I'm seeing gains a lot faster. I hope that helps!

So I guess all of those guys who got huge on steak, chicken, pork, and fish in decades past were eating it raw, because denatured proteins can't be utilized for growth. Do you even think before spouting this stuff?