Zumba?

Options
I just started my gym membership and there is a zumba class tomorrow. I have never done this before so I was wondering if i would be okay taking one as a beginner?

Replies

• RoseBudd85
    RoseBudd85 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm sure you'll be fine! My friend goes to Zumba and there are a lot of people who have no dance training and they enjoy looking ridiculous together! I have DVDs I just started doing at home and it seems like it would be fun to do in a group when I can afford it. It's challenging, but it's a lot of fun!
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    You'll be fine. The instructor usually tells you it takes 3-5 classes to feel like you "get it". It's so much fun. Have a great time!!!!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Everyone is a beginner at some point when they walk in there. You will probably not be the only first timer. Don't expect to get every move down the first time. What they always say in my class is just keep moving and have fun.
  • chicadelnorte
    Options
    Yes! Give it a try. Depending on how fit you are and how coordinated you are (or are not ), it might seem a little overwhelming at first, but keep going! Even if you can't quite follow everything the instructor does at first, you will pick it up over time. I was VERY unfit and had no coordination whatsoever when I started. I always thought that people were born coordinated or not, but that's not true...you can learn it. I did. I can do things I never imagined I'd be able to! And it is the ONLY workout I've ever been able to stick with...it's fun and doesn't even seem like working out. I've been going 2-3 times a week for almost 2 years now and love it as much as I did when I first started.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! We all gotta learn somehow!

I have a 3 year old and a 7 week old and rather than lugging them to the gym (and expose the 7 week old to who knows what germs in the child care room!) I bought Zumba for the Wii. I LOVE it! I look absolutely rediculous and I dont care because no one can see me. Darn good thing because I still have that soft baby belly happening and once it gets moving, its hard to stop it! LOL! :o)
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun! If you tell the instructor at the beginning that you've never done it before, she'll focus on ya a bit more. I did that with my zumba and yoga instructor (accidentally went into an advance class with both) and they were very helpful. Remember to enjoy yourself!
  • ruthiemat2
    ruthiemat2 Posts: 15
    Options
    thank you all!!!
  • heathermharris
    Options
    I would like to ask how many calories yall are burning when you do zumba? I do Zumba at home and sweat ALOT but kinda just guess on how many calories I burn.
  • DroseraBohemica
    Options
    I would like to ask how many calories yall are burning when you do zumba? I do Zumba at home and sweat ALOT but kinda just guess on how many calories I burn.

http://www.zumbacalories.com/