High Altitude Hiking

Options
dc8066
dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
Any special tips on getting ready for hiking at 10K-15K feet elevations, besides arriving to the location a couple days earlier to acclimate? I hike mostly on flat terraine (Florida)

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Hydrate well, which may also mean limiting your alcohol. Don't be too ambitious the first few days. Don't worry if it feels harder than you expect. I always feel like I'm really out of shape at first. A headache is normal, but if you have a splitting headache or start coughing up blood, go down in elevation. Try to sleep low.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I generally cross train and also do a lot of cardio conditioning before I've gone hiking at those altitudes. Go slow to start I've seen too many people go bolting up a mountain only to collapse because they can't breathe. Hydrate hydrate hydrate.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hydration for sure. The more exposure you have to the altitude you are going to be at, the better. Everyone adjusts differently. Expect headaches, some nausea, but listen to your body. If you are feeling sick, go down...I have done a fair amount of high altitude climbs (>14K) and anything above 10k is something that you have to work up to...Also, I have done some big climbs with people that live at sea level and made the jump up to 10K in one day and that resulted in some not fun adventures...just take it slow. Acclimatize and drink. Ask your doctor about over the counter and Rx meds as well.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    This thread by @rankinsect may interest you-
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10522199/kilimanjaro#latest

He has just hiked Kilimanjaro and talks a bit about his prep work.

Cheers, h.
  • dc8066
    Options
    Thank you spiriteagle99, cheriej2042, fit_in_Folsom, and middlehaitch very-very much!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has given some great tips. Just know that you'll get winded easier. I live in Texas and we frequently go to Colorado. We did get altitude sickness once on a ski trip when we flew to Denver and went straight into the mountains at a high elevation. We drive now and we've never experienced that since. This year, we're staying 1 night in Colorado Springs on our way up so our bodies get used to the altitude before driving to ski at even higher elevations.

Have a great trip!
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Aerobic base, aerobic base, aerobic base. I've been above 14k three times this year so far. Acclimatizing science is a bit variable, but as others said hydration and taking it slow can help. Did I mention you should do long duration, low intensity runs and stairs?
  • dc8066
    Options
    Very helpful, thanks!
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did some hiking a while ago up to 22,000 feet - which did require a fair bit of preparation! Things I found useful

Before:
    - 8/9 hour walks with a heavy weighted pack
    - A few sessions in an altitude chamber doing HIIT
    - Cutting out alcohol a few weeks ahead

During:
    - Keep the pace slow
    - Active acclimatisation days on the way (climb high, sleep low)
    - Really good hydration

Bizarre top tip: given the above, it's almost unavoidable to need to pee a lot in the nights; so it's useful to have a pee bottle and practice using a shewee (if you're female) to avoid having to wander around outside the tent in the cold and dark. Might sound a bit gross, but definitely safer if there are things you might fall down in the dark and it reduces breaks in your sleep, which makes the next day easier!
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This is all really useful info, I'm doing the everest base camp trek in September!