Strength Training at home?

Options
metalmeow1
metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I do cardio (moderate walking) 1-2 hours 4-5x/week and I'm steadly losing about 1.5lbs/weekly. I'm currently 196. I've lost 22lbs.

I've read that I should also incorporate lifting weights of some sort to speed fat loss (while increasing protein and of course with a caloric deficit), but sadly, I don't own weights, and I'm having a hard time even doing 1 push-up (I know :()

I was hoping someone had some tips on how I could get myself started? Thanks in advance ♥

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,586 Member
    Options
    Get a suspension trainer. They don't take up space, they are portable and you can do A LOT of different exercises on them to increase strength. TRX is the most popular, but IMO a suspension trainer is a suspension trainer. I get one from WOSS for a 1/3 of the price.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Get a suspension trainer. They don't take up space, they are portable and you can do A LOT of different exercises on them to increase strength. TRX is the most popular, but IMO a suspension trainer is a suspension trainer. I get one from WOSS for a 1/3 of the price.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I looked it up. Great help, thanks!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Also a big fan of TRX. If possible, take a few classes or training sessions to get the form correct. Otherwise, there are tons of you tube vids.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    This is asked every day, so search the forum if you want a variety of opinions. Mine is to get a pair of adjustable dumbbells (25+ lbs each hand) and a resistance band kit that's door-mountable (Bodylastics, Black Mountain, etc). Not a big fan of suspension trainers for beginners, except as a supplementary tool. For starters, the difficulty level is very hard to quantify and track. Also it's difficult to do basics like squats, lunges and deadlifts. :+1:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    metalmeow1 wrote: »
    I do cardio (moderate walking) 1-2 hours 4-5x/week and I'm steadly losing about 1.5lbs/weekly. I'm currently 196. I've lost 22lbs.

I've read that I should also incorporate lifting weights of some sort to speed fat loss (while increasing protein and of course with a caloric deficit), but sadly, I don't own weights, and I'm having a hard time even doing 1 push-up (I know :()

I was hoping someone had some tips on how I could get myself started? Thanks in advance ♥

I dont think lifting will speed fat loss, a deficit is what causes fat loss.if lifting sped up fat loss,by now I should not have much fat left lol
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Here's my recommendation: If you are just starting out with strength training, you can start with body weight exercises. I guess it's called calisthenics. Pushups (knee pushups are perfectly fine!), tricep dips, planks, squats, lunges, things like that. There are circuits you can do that not only build strength but burn many calories in shorter time than long walks. Look it up on youtube. MFP blog has also posted a few and I think you can search for them. Then once you build strength and balance you can start investing in fancy stuff like dumbells and suspension straps.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands and dumbbells for some at home strength training. Add a few body weight exercises and it is enough for me.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting a small set of dumbbells like 2 1/2 lbs through 10 lbs. Then find a at home program and stick to it.

I'm not sure about specifics for beginner at home programs.

Good luck!
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would also champion resistance bands. I use Bodylastics with the ultra anchor and any exercise you can do in a gym you can do with bands (I do suscribe to Bodylastics online for their workout vids but that's a choice but imo it's been invaluable)