Your cue to stop eating....saw on Shark Tank

Options
itsmegina
itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
So I saw this thing on Shark Tank last night called Meal Enders, its like a mint lozenge coated in chocolate for after your meal. When you get to the minty part your palate has been cleansed - or something like that- so you don't want to put anything else in your mouth, and therefore stop eating.
While I don't think this is some magic bullet, I do have a tendency to want something sweet after dinner, and sometimes keep grazing even after a sensible dessert. I find hot tea or sugar free gum helps, because after that I don't want to eat anything else.
Does anyone have any other ideas, that you have after meals that kind of "finishes out" your meal and kills any desire to eat anything else?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Some people brush their teeth. Some chew gum. Some have a mint (just a regular old mint). I don't personally find that strategy helpful. Coffee or a diet soda usually rounds out my meals nicely.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Did any of the sharks actually invest in this business?
  • itsmegina
    itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    No, they said it was pretty gross. Amazon reviews were poor too. It just got me thinking....
    and yes, brushing teeth would do it!
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mint is a huge appetite suppressant for me. Probably because I hate anything mint flavored except breath mints.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Vinegar works for me (sometimes) unless I'm just starving, then nothing works until I feel satisfied.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    itsmegina wrote: »
    So I saw this thing on Shark Tank last night called Meal Enders, its like a mint lozenge coated in chocolate for after your meal.

So ... like the chocolate covered mints that restaurants have in a bowl next to the till, which you grab as you're paying for your meal?

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Going by the clock works pretty good for me.After dinner,once kitchen is set to rights,I wait between 1/2 to 1 hr.If I want whatever treat I have in mind,then I have it.If not,wait again.Often times,No longer want it.Sometimes ...into.Regardless.....it has to be tracked on here.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have a set of cues for when to start and stop eating.

I usually eat 3 meals per day, but I eat a fourth meal if I'm hungry in the evening.

I wait until I'm hungry before I eat. I like to feel pleasantly hungry and ready to eat. This is the stage where I don't just have room to swallow some predigested junk food, but hungry enough to be willing to prepare and eat a real meal and almost any meal sounds great, and not so hungry that I'm nauseated and don't want to eat or just want some predigested junk food.

For the fourth meal, I ask myself if I'm hungry - if I want a meal, I'm hungry, so I eat. If just want to eat, I may or may not eat, depending on my weight the last week, and whether what I want is a rare opportunity or the craving is really strong.

I know how to compose balanced meals, including different colors, flavors, textures and temperatures, and how large meals are appropriate for me, so I portion that out, eat, and enjoy.

When I have eaten my meal, I stop eating.

Then I drink some water, maybe tea, clean my teeth. I brush my teeth after breakfast and after the last meal of the day. This creates a definitive cut-off.
  • dnrtnz
    dnrtnz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    itsmegina wrote: »
    So I saw this thing on Shark Tank last night called Meal Enders, its like a mint lozenge coated in chocolate for after your meal. When you get to the minty part your palate has been cleansed - or something like that- so you don't want to put anything else in your mouth, and therefore stop eating.
    While I don't think this is some magic bullet, I do have a tendency to want something sweet after dinner, and sometimes keep grazing even after a sensible dessert. I find hot tea or sugar free gum helps, because after that I don't want to eat anything else.
    Does anyone have any other ideas, that you have after meals that kind of "finishes out" your meal and kills any desire to eat anything else?

• dnrtnz
    dnrtnz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas. If I'm craving a dessert after dinner, a dark chocolate Hershey Kiss works for me.
  • afunke3460
    afunke3460 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am totally the same way!! You are my after dinner mint sister hahaha! I would love something small and sweet! Something I have recently done is buy the liquid stevia in the dessert type flavors. I have chocolate, vanilla sweet creme, orange and English toffee. It sounds so weird, but I like it in my water after dinner. It makes it quite nice and like a little treat.
  • mssparkie
    mssparkie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wait 20 minutes then judge your hunger. Most likely it will have past.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of chocolate covered espresso beans in my cupboard - some days I'm just feeling munchy but not particularly hungry after a meal and I'll have 1 or 2 to cleanse my palate. It usually works to get rid of the munchy feeling.

Similar concept with the mints :)

~Lyssa
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This stupid thing pops up in my Facebook feed constantly. Why not just eat a mint or brush your teeth? Personally I like just a nice dark chocolate square or dove dark chocolate piece. Same theory I guess.
  • She_Devil23
    She_Devil23 Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Usually I'll have a cup of tea. But if im really craving dessert after my supper, I'll have a banana with a bit of peanut butter. Its my healthier dessert alternative.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I will admit I ordered them from Amazon a few months ago. They are a bad version of restaurant Mints--certainly nothing magic. I find crunchy cinnamon flavored gum (Mentos) and a nice cup of hot camomile tea to be much more effective.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    After dinner I have yogurt or cottage cheese with whichever fruit I have or want, popcorn with olive oil, a small dessert and a square of dark chocolate. I leave calories throughout the day to have my after dinner treats.