dinner first or exercise first?

Options
Hey guys,

Was just wondering if it's better to have dinner before or after exercising? I can only make it to the gym at about 5:30-6pm, and by the time I return it is usually 7:30-8pm. So I was wondering what is the most ideal or appropriate thing to do first? :smile:

Replies

• tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    if i go to the gym after work ill exersize at 5.30 then food at 7.30-8 as ill only snack afterwrds if i did it the other way round
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I can't eat dinner first. Makes me wanna throw up... I have a light snack before.

I vote dinner afterward.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym late - normally half 8 after having dinner around half 6/7ish. It's just a routine I have got into as when I get home from work I'm always hungry and don't want to snack.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    yeah dinner after will stop over snacking
  • sheetal_2011
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys!! I appreciate it :o)
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Its whatever works for you, I couldn't exercise after eating a meal, i normally just have a snack, do gym after work about 6:00 pm then eat after that at 7:30 ish. Good luck :smile:
  • Copywrit
    Copywrit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It just depends on how your body responds. If you're hungry before you go the gym, you should eat, wait a while and go. Just remember that you should be getting some carbs in the 15 minutes after your workout... along with plenty of water of course.
  • twiniemily
    twiniemily Posts: 24
    Options
    It just depends on how your body responds. If you're hungry before you go the gym, you should eat, wait a while and go. Just remember that you should be getting some carbs in the 15 minutes after your workout... along with plenty of water of course.

Why is it important to have carbs in those first 15mins?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Was just wondering if it's better to have dinner before or after exercising? I can only make it to the gym at about 5:30-6pm, and by the time I return it is usually 7:30-8pm. So I was wondering what is the most ideal or appropriate thing to do first? :smile:

I'd have a light snack before exercising and then dinner following it. If you have a full meal before you exercise, you may feel nauseated, and you need at least a snack post-workout for recovery.
  • katie_kaboom
    Options
    During the week I exercise during that strange in between time where it's way past lunch, but not quite dinner, so I'll eat after. On the weekends, I get my exercise in earlier in the morning, so I try to have a little something before I exercise.

Here is an article I found that may help: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/eating-to-fuel-exercise/
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I exercise as soon as I get home from work about 5:30 otherwise i wouldn't do it! I then eat around 6:30-7:00 depending if my fiance has cooked whilst i'm doing it or if i have to cook!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes I quite often go to a 5.30 class at my gym straight from work, and then cook dinner when I get home.

I try to have something about an hour before I get to the gym - a handful of almonds or a Nakd bar. And I'm usually craving carbs after wards so I'll have a small portion of wholewheat pasta with some tuna or tofu.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have to have dinner first or else I will faint mid work out or have to give up through lack of energy.

Sometimes it does mean I'm eating dinner at 4.30pm which sucks!

I save 100 calories for a post gym snack so I can drive home safely
  • sheetal_2011
    Options
    During the week I exercise during that strange in between time where it's way past lunch, but not quite dinner, so I'll eat after. On the weekends, I get my exercise in earlier in the morning, so I try to have a little something before I exercise.

Here is an article I found that may help: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/eating-to-fuel-exercise/

Thank you for that! It was quite insightful :smile:
  • sheetal_2011
    Options
    I have to have dinner first or else I will faint mid work out or have to give up through lack of energy.

Sometimes it does mean I'm eating dinner at 4.30pm which sucks!

I save 100 calories for a post gym snack so I can drive home safely

Oh wow, that's pretty good! I'm afraid eating dinner that early for me would make me susceptible to a lot of binge eating afterward - i wish I had your will power! :smile:
  • sheetal_2011
    Options
    Thanks to all for your suggestions and input, it really helps! :smile:
  • tushiness
    tushiness Posts: 29
    Options
    I do gym first too! By the time i get down to eating dinner it can get as late at 8.30/9! But i make sure to include lots of protein in there and its working for me :)